Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline When I was 9.... DISCUSS!!!11

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Bad example, if there was such an issue the answer would be fixing the stealth

abija

Prophet
Cooldown system is a lazy way out, you could replace it with so many interesting systems... then spend 5 more years implementing and balancing them.
Using cooldowns was a damn good decision, since it got the game out faster and with fewer bugs. At some point you need to bring some money in or it will start affecting your team. And the whole kickstarter thing desperately needs some more finished products too.

You can always add them in the next game since there's far less work to be done on the engine and you can spend time on those extra mechanics.

Perkel

Arcane
I don't think it will be easy. Changing base rules and adding physical stuff to it is often task that only be accomplished by actual devs not modder.

It really depends on how programmed is combat system. If it is something core to game they would need probably mojor rework of game system.
Editing stuff is easy adding features is hard as hell for most of people.

Imo i think Larian should create their systems to be easily editable and put tutorial on how their system works and how to change it in major way (like mana system etc)

As i said earlier the more open game is for editing the better for larian because for example if something will be popular they may add this feature in next game.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Welp I guess keep saving your virginity for that special crpg that does it perfectly.

:thumbsup:

Until then I'm not going to split hairs over what the system looks like (0 n0es the IMMERSHUN) -- so long as the balance is satisfactory -- and let it ruin my enjoyment of what is otherwise a good game.

Perkel

Arcane
Yeah i am also not a fan of cooldowns but strangely i really don't mind it in DOS.

Imo it would be better if game would simply use AP system instead of arbitrary cooldowns. So for example if you cast a spell every spell gets 1 to its cost and spell recently used gets 2. If you use it again other gets 1 and same spell gets gain 2 more. With every turn game removes 1 ap additional cost.

So for example if you cast 3 3AP spells first one would be 3 AP next one 5 AP and next one 7 AP where every other spell would get 3ap cost to use and it would take 3 turns to remove it.

This way casters from all in one turn would become casters that know what they are doing and good casters would be thinking strategically abount encounters. Do i shoot 3 spells because fight seems to be easy and i don't need to think about cost of it later in fight or i maximize use of one spell per turn to have maximum efficiency in long fight ?

+ it would look realistically in therm of combat. Either mages would be all out and soon they will be defenseless due to them firing to much spells at once or they would be methodical casters that cast more simple stuff every turn to use bigger guns once a while.

This would also offset caster superiority more than simple being weak in malee because fighters would get more means to to offset their tiredness (like different type of swings like thrust slash bash)

Also using spells that summon or give a curse of some time would be cost payed every turn so for example. There wouldn't be hard summon limit but caster would need radicolous pool of AP each turn to support more than 1 summon. Specialized mages could then buy talents to lower that cost or change mechanics.

Fuck i have too many ideas at once. I hope LArian mechanics will be easily editable like in for example FNV.

groke

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera BattleTech I'm very into cock and ball torture
Bad example, if there was such an issue the answer would be fixing the stealth

If it wasn't stealth, it would be teleportation, or lockpicking, or those tele-pyramids, or whatever. My point was that Larian's intent seems to be that the player use situational mechanics to get past difficulty barriers rather than grinding/looting, and level-scaling loot encourages it.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I think you are putting far more thought into it than they did, they are just used to making games with diablo style items

Perkel

Arcane
And yet they put in one of the better TB combat systems in RPGs.

Incline at Larian is happening.

Athelas

Arcane
One doesn't preclude the other. And Diablo was originally intended to be turn-based. :M

Last edited:

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
(EDIT) IMPORTANT SPOILER: DO NOT THROW AWAY OR DESTROY INERT STONES! since you will need them in the endgame even though they look useless. (realized that at about lvl 14 and had to start over after like 2 days of constant playing)

LOL. Boon.

Oh, this item that fucking teleports me to the end of time. This item that the entire plot of the game revolves around. Yeah, let me destroy it. Also if you threw the thing away or sold it to a vendor it still exists in the game and you can find it. If you destroyed an item related to the main plot of the game you deserve to have to restart. Deal with it you fucking troglodyte.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
Well, at least that statement is true.

Question: Do you actually fucking think that D:OS is worse than Skyrim? Or are you just trying to be provocative?
Anyway, I'm almost certain that CtH is level scaled, testing isn't perfect, but my non combat character, who has not improved in any way related to stats or skills outside of speed has went from 3-21% CtH in about 3 levels.
both, i have to admit that it was more fun walking around skyrim than it is walking around in this game. even if i hated features like dragonfuckingshouts or dragonspam or the fact that my first elder scrolls game, morrowind, never even had anything to do with fucking dragons and didn't need to, and it lacked some nice spells like levitate and the story was shitty, it did feel good to have some space while exploring and not having to follow a fucking corridor in the fucking woods of all places...

Reapa

Doom Preacher
Level-scaling the loot helps avoid the early-game-power-armour-run; if you could just duck into some high-level cave (not difficult with invis.) and grab overpowered gear, you could clear Cyseal in an hour. The reason people complain so much about level-scaling on this forum (I mean seriously, not 'lolol codex doesn't scale") is because dumbfuck developers like Bethesda see it as an alternative to manually balancing a game; in Oblivion, every-fucking-thing scales to your level so it feels like progression is totally absent. In DivOS, leveled loot actually has an interesting synergy with the zoned difficulty, since the player has to come up with more novel means of jumping the difficulty gates than just finding an Assfucking Sword of Death +5.
idiot... finding the assfucking sword of death +5 is what makes an RPG a good RPG. but you don't have to hide it in plain sight. it doesn't even have to be loot drop. it can even have to be improved by crafting like the flail of ages 4 example. there's more than enough ways to make something special hard to achieve and yes it shouldn't be easy to get it, but it must exist. it just needs a bit more planing and knowing the game you're making than some random loot.

Zeriel
Nah, they're both shit, one makes it so you'll always encounter enemies your level(Ruining the feeling of progression) one artificially boxes players in. Retards are wrong when they say that NV forces you to take a certain path by the danger it puts in front of you, if it had this kind of shit mechanic then they'd be right. Now, there are exceptions, and the exceptions are mages, but it doesn't change that the mechanic itself is crap. I personally couldn't care less about morons who support any type of level scaling, and it's hilarious that they're even on the codex.
:rpgcodex:

It's -clearly- an evil design, shitty in the MMOs that the feature resides in, and shitty here. Stats? Build? Equipment? Naw, just grind exp until you level, man, I love this game but the more I argue with people defending asinine shit like this, the more :decline: the game feels like.

Reapa I don't know what to say to that, I wouldn't put Skyrim anywhere near Divinity, it's broken in so many ways, armor system, crafting, level scaling, yeah you can go anywhere, and everything's scaled to your level to make it way easy. It's ARPG, and even with my mods to enhance it still just feels al'right, but not a CRPG. It's a decent game, but nothing more than a time waster to me, a hiking simulator with respawning trash combat.

By comparison, as many flaws as divinity has, it's got the character systems and progression I like, the type of combat, encounters, and is actually a CRPG. It has some decline mechanics and a couple of flaws
(Not in the eyes of the retarded fanbois but who cares what they think.)
, but overall it's a good game, need to play moar before I give a solid opinion.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
LOL. Boon.

Oh, this item that fucking teleports me to the end of time. This item that the entire plot of the game revolves around. Yeah, let me destroy it. Also if you threw the thing away or sold it to a vendor it still exists in the game and you can find it. If you destroyed an item related to the main plot of the game you deserve to have to restart. Deal with it you fucking troglodyte.
actually, i haven't had the patience to begin the fucking game again cause of the same fucking stuff i would have to do all over again and just moved on and if i'll someday get to the end of the game and need that stone i'll probably look around for it at the traders. thing is it's a fucking common item with no hint whatsoever that you will still need it. can't remember anything having been said about inert stones. only blood stones and star stones or such crap.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
Zeriel
Nah, they're both shit, one makes it so you'll always encounter enemies your level(Ruining the feeling of progression) one artificially boxes players in. Retards are wrong when they say that NV forces you to take a certain path by the danger it puts in front of you, if it had this kind of shit mechanic then they'd be right. Now, there are exceptions, and the exceptions are mages, but it doesn't change that the mechanic itself is crap. I personally couldn't care less about morons who support any type of level scaling, and it's hilarious that they're even on the codex.
:rpgcodex:

It's -clearly- an evil design, shitty in the MMOs that the feature resides in, and shitty here. Stats? Build? Equipment? Naw, just grind exp until you level, man, I love this game but the more I argue with people defending asinine shit like this, the more :decline: the game feels like.

Reapa I don't know what to say to that, I wouldn't put Skyrim anywhere near Divinity, it's broken in so many ways, armor system, crafting, level scaling, yeah you can go anywhere, and everything's scaled to your level to make it way easy. It's ARPG, and even with my mods to enhance it still just feels al'right, but not a CRPG. It's a decent game, but nothing more than a time waster to me, a hiking simulator with respawning trash combat.

By comparison, as many flaws as divinity has, it's got the character systems and progression I like, the type of combat, encounters, and is actually a CRPG. It has some decline mechanics and a couple of flaws
(Not in the eyes of the retarded fanbois but who cares what they think.)
, but overall it's a good game, need to play moar before I give a solid opinion.

the comparison with skyrim could turn into a very long discussion.

abija

Prophet
thing is it's a fucking common item with no hint whatsoever that you will still need it. can't remember anything having been said about inert stones. only blood stones and star stones or such crap.
I guess someone should slap you irl to pay attention...

Reapa

Doom Preacher
The couple of actually valid points you have in there got drowned in the pitiful trolling attempt. 1/10.

Shamefur disprey!
make a thread about how you dislike pitiful trolling attempts, and bother other people with that bullshit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom