Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Where my Bubbles Gone?

Grimlorn

Arcane
:lol: "One of the most level-headed Codexers" :lol:

Good one.

Aenra

Perhaps it's an unfair perception, but the impression I get as a humble reader of the site, with no insight into illuminati forums, is that if an initial review is very negative like Roxor's review, then positive reviews are actively sought out to balance them. If they are broadly positive, like VD's Wasteland 2 review, then subsequent ones are discouraged

Must there always be some consensus for a review to published? Or can staff members do that individually if they so choose?

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Anecdotal information.

While toying with the idea of writing a Tyranny review yesterday, I thought about how the game gave off the impression of a simplistic writing. They'd often use the same phrases like "stand tall" over and over again, which was an eye sore. I decided to get scientific about it, extracted all of game's dialogues and item descriptions and ran them through the the Flesch-Kincaid readability test. It scored 66, which means "Plain English, easily understood by 13- to 15-year-olds". Was quite happy with the results, thought I had solid evidence that the game's core audience is teens and retards. Then I did a comparison and ran AoD's dialogues through the software and it scored lower, "easily understood by 12 year olds". Then I ran "Fifty Shades of Gray" and "Black Company", and both of those scored lower than Tranny as well. Only Salvatore's Drizzt scored a bit higher, but barely.

Thus my scientific paper was nipped in the bud unfortunately.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Not true. I submitted a review, but of course Inshillitron only wants reviews sucking the devs off, and it was about Derpest Dungeon so obviously that didn't happen. Because apparently he's such a greedy jew he can't buy =< 20 dollar games himself. (...)!
Why not post your review here for example? Assuming DarkUnderlord didn't lie he will sticky it.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Anecdotal information.

While toying with the idea of writing a Tyranny review yesterday, I thought about how the game gave off the impression of a simplistic writing. They'd often use the same phrases like "stand tall" over and over again, which was an eye sore. I decided to get scientific about it, extracted all of game's dialogues and item descriptions and ran them through the the Flesch-Kincaid readability test. It scored 66, which means "Plain English, easily understood by 13- to 15-year-olds". Was quite happy with the results, thought I had solid evidence that the game's core audience is teens and retards. Then I did a comparison and ran AoD's dialogues through the software and it scored lower, "easily understood by 12 year olds". Then I ran "Fifty Shades of Gray" and "Black Company", and both of those scored lower than Tranny as well. Only Salvatore's Drizzt scored a bit higher, but barely.

Thus my scientific paper was nipped in the bud unfortunately.
Please, you could type random gibberish into Word, and it would still offer a readability score, the test is more concerned about length of words and number of words than the words themselves.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
I'm getting the impression the guy's been melting down behind the scenes for a while now, and the administration likes his content too much to embarrass him by posting it.
Infinitron said in this thread (or was it on Shoutbox?) that Bubble's "explosion" was unexpected to him so no. Bubbles must have been building up his anger towards him but he didn't express his opinion directly and was very mild in criticizing him.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
I would like to know what Infinitron means by "explosion" though? Did he use words like "Nazi", "gas", "kill" or was it exaggeration on his part (as usual)?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Man I love RPGs in which the difference between 16 Strength and 17 Strength is 3% damage and where every Barbarian needs genius-level intelligence to function. BUT MUH CONAN
Interesting example to pick since the difference between 16 and 17 STR in D&D 3E is 0 damage.
...and it's +1 to hit in AD&D, with an additional +1 damage at 18. +1 to hit in that system is enormous; it could increase your damage by 50% or more depending on your THAC0.

And mind you, +1 damage is a LOT more than 3% in a system where your sword deals 1d8 damage. It's downright enormous. Why do I even have to explain that you can cherry pick your system to contradict me? And even in 3.0, 17 is a great breakpoint because it allows a max roll on Bull's Strength potions/rolls which works out to an extra +1 you would miss out on otherwise -- which can work out to huge percentages of damage. Say you're a badass 2-handed warrior and your strength is 16 vs 17. You wield a regular greataxe, 1d12.

So with both 16/17 you would deal 1d12+3*1.5 = 1d12+4 damage.

However, a max'd buff roll on Bull's Strength and you're looking at 1d12+6*1.5 = 1d12+9 damage vs. only 1d12+5*1.5 = 1d12+7 damage at only 16 STR. 15.5 expected damage vs 13.5.
What does that mean? Even at the non breakpoint, your difference between 16 and 17 is a potential 15%.

One lousy point. 15%. ONE POINT IS AS MUCH OF A DIFFERENCE AS FIVE POINTS MIGHT IN POE! (In this very specific, misleading scenario...)

AND WE HAVEN'T YET CONSIDERED THE ADDITIONAL TO-HIT CHANCE WHICH INCREASES YOUR EXPECTED DAMAGE EVEN MORE!!!!!

Why do I have to think for you? Why can't you use your own brain? I have other things to do.

PoE's system is complete and utter trash and the only redeeming thing about it is that there are other things other than the attributes, which are mercilessly broken, unsatisfying and all-around a negative departure from practically every RPG, good or bad, I have played in my 31 years.

Fucker, I am so mad. Why the fuck do I have to spell this shit out? I always thought this place had smart people who played these shit games longer than I have but it turns out everyone else smart has gone and died or moved on, probably too disgusted by having to explain every trivial detail to morons.

Why you retards can't understand not all of us are spreadsheet monkeys who cum when their multiplicative damage goes from 100% to 103% is beyond me. PoE may not be as irredeemable as I have made it out to be but if you can't see this system is for complete morons you, my man, are retarded and need to pull your head out of your ass and play some actual RPGs for a change. For fuck's sake, I am sick and tired of having to repeat the same fucking trash to the same fucking morons in every fucking thread, as if you had no fucking RPG experience.

OH BOOHOO it's +0 damage in 3.0!!!! Fucking moron who doesn't use buffs, burn in hell.

Last edited:
The problem seems to be Infinitron's ability to indefinitely stall the editing pipeline to serve his nefarious agendas so the solution would obviously be to blow up said pipeline. Publish every review immediately and have it gradually go through editing over the course of years to accurately represent the release state of the crpg's themselves. Finally determine which of the reviews is the official codex review through a complicated formula based on the optimal ratio of : butthurt : and : prestigious : user ratings.

Last edited by a moderator:

Xzylvador

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
As I keep re-iterating to people, this is a community site. Not a professional gaming rag that's looking to get a part of every exclusive.

Stop saying that, you doofus! If developers found out, we'll lose all :obviously:

Yeah this. I would love to do reviews but my english kinda sucks and I'm intimidated by all the seriously well written reviews on the front page bc no way can I write a 20 page essay about in depth game mechanics lol :oops:

Just SHOW US YOUR TITS by posting them* on news. I'm sure it will be as much, if not more, appreciated than a review about another lousy nu-Obsidian game.

(Not actually them, a picture of them is good enough. I'd initially wanted to suggest a hand drawn picture, but I'm sure you feel like your drawingskills aren't up to it either, so a photo is okay.)

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
I see a lot of people defending Bubbles and while I did enjoy his Fallout 4 review, I cannot forgive him for praising SCL and getting too many people here thinking the game is anything but a total trainwreck.
Now that he is gone, we can all go back to "Everything is shit" mantra +M

I can concur a bit here. While I did enjoy his Fallout 4 review, I cannot forgive him for obsessing over responding to people in the SitS thread with inaccurate information which was clearly negative agenda horseshit when SitS was a rare example of a newly made RtwP which was actually trying to be genuinely good. While game certainly wasn't 10/10 perfection, for me it showed how bubbles didn't really care about principles so much as just being interested in 'life with the big boys', to which a Fallout 4 review, even if it's quite funny, still leaves you with the conclusion that... you actually played Fallout 4... and then dedicated time to thinking about it... sheesh.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm getting the impression the guy's been melting down behind the scenes for a while now, and the administration likes his content too much to embarrass him by posting it.
Infinitron said in this thread (or was it on Shoutbox?) that Bubble's "explosion" was unexpected

FYI, these things don't contradict each other. You wouldn't logically expect somebody to lose it over a single line in another person's review, even if he'd shown a... tendency towards histrionics with regard to other, more personally relevant issues in the past.

Last edited:

Kz3r0

Arcane
I can concur a bit here. While I did enjoy his Fallout 4 review, I cannot forgive him for obsessing over responding to people in the SitS thread with inaccurate information which was clearly negative agenda horseshit when SitS was a rare example of a newly made RtwP which was actually trying to be genuinely good. While game certainly wasn't 10/10 perfection, for me it showed how bubbles didn't really care about principles so much as just being interested in 'life with the big boys', to which a Fallout 4 review, even if it's quite funny, still leaves you with the conclusion that... you actually played Fallout 4... and then dedicated time to thinking about it... sheesh.
So the real point of contention with Infinitron was that he wanted to be the prime shill here but the shrewd bot preempted him, what a twist.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
True, like changing "PoE is shit" to "PoE is awesome".

In all seriousness though, I wouldn't be able to write decently in Polish, let alone English. Maybe Scrooge will try to do it though, it seems she wants to do it but is afraid we will laugh.
In my mind, what matters is the substance of the review, such as a discussion of mechanics, and structure. By structure, I mean grammar, headers, and topic sentences. One can find structure through the help of a good editor.

I would offer to help Scrooge or anyone willing to try, but I would warn them upfront that law school and law in general dulled my writing. Law school beat the fun out of me.

Also, I do not think people would laugh at a reviewer for making an attempt at content. Instead, the reviewer should worry about PoE/InXile derails, the review being leaked by discontents, and now apparently Infinitron.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
...and it's +1 to hit in AD&D, with an additional +1 damage at 18. +1 to hit in that system is enormous; it could increase your damage by 50% or more depending on your THAC0.

And mind you, +1 damage is a LOT more than 3% in a system where your sword deals 1d8 damage. It's downright enormous. Why do I even have to explain that you can cherry pick your system to contradict me? And even in 3.0, 17 is a great breakpoint because it allows a max roll on Bull's Strength potions/rolls which works out to an extra +1 you would miss out on otherwise -- which can work out to huge percentages of damage. Say you're a badass 2-handed warrior and your strength is 16 vs 17. You wield a regular greataxe, 1d12.

So with both 16/17 you would deal 1d12+3*1.5 = 1d12+4 damage.

However, a max'd buff roll on Bull's Strength and you're looking at 1d12+6*1.5 = 1d12+9 damage vs. only 1d12+5*1.5 = 1d12+7 damage at only 16 STR. 15.5 expected damage vs 13.5.
What does that mean? Even at the non breakpoint, your difference between 16 and 17 is a potential 15%.

One lousy point. 15%. ONE POINT IS AS MUCH OF A DIFFERENCE AS FIVE POINTS MIGHT IN POE! (In this very specific, misleading scenario...)

AND WE HAVEN'T YET CONSIDERED THE ADDITIONAL TO-HIT CHANCE WHICH INCREASES YOUR EXPECTED DAMAGE EVEN MORE!!!!!

Why do I have to think for you? Why can't you use your own brain? I have other things to do.

PoE's system is complete and utter trash and the only redeeming thing about it is that there are other things other than the attributes, which are mercilessly broken, unsatisfying and all-around a negative departure from practically every RPG, good or bad, I have played in my 31 years.

Fucker, I am so mad. Why the fuck do I have to spell this shit out? I always thought this place had smart people who played these shit games longer than I have but it turns out everyone else smart has gone and died or moved on, probably too disgusted by having to explain every trivial detail to morons.

Why you retards can't understand not all of us are spreadsheet monkeys who cum when their multiplicative damage goes from 100% to 103% is beyond me. PoE may not be as irredeemable as I have made it out to be but if you can't see this system is for complete morons you, my man, are retarded and need to pull your head out of your ass and play some actual RPGs for a change. For fuck's sake, I am sick and tired of having to repeat the same fucking trash to the same fucking morons in every fucking thread, as if you had no fucking RPG experience.

OH BOOHOO it's +0 damage in 3.0!!!! Fucking moron who doesn't use buffs, burn in hell.

id97gx.png

That's an objective mess.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom