Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which CRPG has the most stupid name?

• Total voters
Weasel
What about Black Geyser. As a non-native english speaker I don't quite get whats wrong with the title. Is it the sound of the word 'geyser'?

Apart from what others have said, depending on pronunciation it has other connotations in places like London:

I am now in my 40’s, and grew up in London, and Geezer has always been used to describe a man, synonymously with bloke, fellow,chap, etc.. We would precede geezer with “old” if talking about an older man, but could proceed it with other things e.g. diamond, right, top, hard etc. I am not aware that it has (certainly not in my lifetime) ever fallen out of usage in this way. The American usage is not, therefore, the same as the London, England usage (I don’t know about other regions of the U.K., but my wife assures me that while growing up in Cheltenham, England, people used Geezer in the same way as Londoners)
Re “Geezer”–I have always grown up with the belief that “geezer” is an old maritime term from “Portugeeser”–a ship of dubious or unclear origins–which became converted into meaning anyone foreign or strange of whom no one is sure of their background or intentions. Thus “dodgy geezer” is in general use in the greater London area as is “black geezer” “young geezer” etc. It doesn’t mean someone old unless “old” precedes it.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Bravely Default: Fighting Fairy is a really bad name, but it's not a fucking CRPG so I voted for ELEX.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Voted Divine Divinity (didn't buy it just because of that stupid name), but Dragons of the Rip is a serious contender.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Planescape torment by a mile. The new torment has an awful name, too.

If non CRPGs are allowed then I'd vote for this playstation game I played as a kid:
Arc_the_Lad%3B_Twilight_of_the_Spirits_English_cover.jpg

Arc the Lad Twilight of the Spirits

Also needs "Icy" option.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
JRPGs get a free pass because the japanese think anything in another language sounds awesome

Divine Divinity is ugly but mostly cheesy, which is OK for Larian

I have to say ELEX wins

AetherVagrant

Arbiter
Patron
I'd vote for Elex if one of the "E"s stood for extreme, but xenial doesnt bother me,
especially not since its real english and a common word in most romance languages.
aka :genial, congenial, gentleman, etc etc.
dont be engrishprydefagsz

Telengard

Arcane
Alien Logic: A Skyrealms of Jorune Adventure.
  • the usual egregious use of :
  • but worse, neither side of the : explains anything, just further obscures what the game is about
  • the second part of the : introduces a bunch of unknown (to those who didn't play the pnp) made-up words, and then tacks on the word "adventure", adding to the chaos for no real benefit. Very bad form.

The Temple of Elemental Evil. I just can't take it seriously, it sounds like what an 8 year old DM would come up with for his first campaign. There will be evil ninjas inside.

Dragon Age: Origins

Literally retarded.

What puzzles me is that the dragons aren't even really dragons, but devils. Eh.

edit: Oh man, Quest 64. The N64 was so starved for RPGs that anything would fly.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
The Temple of Elemental Evil. I just can't take it seriously, it sounds like what an 8 year old DM would come up with for his first campaign.
But it's a temple and it has evil elementals. Compare to "Baldur's Gate II". Baldur's Gate isn't even in the damn game

Besides it also gets a pass because it's from the 80s

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
Oh god, this thread reminds me. When I was 7 or so I always dreamed about making my own video game. A few months ago I dug out some design documents (i.e. scribbles on one of my old notebooks) of this "game". I think it involved controlling a hovercraft to shoot some submarines in a river, or something like that (hint: I did not actually know what a submarine was). Natually, I tried to give the "game" the coolest title my 7-year old brain was capable of coming up with. It was called

DARK SOUL

:M

Zetor

Arcane
jRPGs should probably be excluded from this 'contest' if we want to keep it fair.

Most of the good ones were posted already, but I'd give Wizard Warz a honorable mention just because using 'z' instead of 's' is totally kewl, you guyz. Other contenders in this category are games that capitalize the last letter of their names (ArcaniA and now AntharioN) and "CyberMage: Darklight Awakening" because fuck you dw bradley.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Final Fantasy because there is obviously nothing final about the franchise.

Square thought it would be the last game they'd ever develop, and its success took them by surprise so it was kinda too late to change the name without losing brand recognition. :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom