Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Which Fallout Title is worse?

Which Fallout game is worse?

• Total voters
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
I have big faith in Bethesda. So I am quite sure that Fallout 4 will be worst.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Taking in account how FT managed to completely absolutely mangle the Fallout setting, I'd say that even Fallout 3 is better than it.

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I have big faith in Bethesda. So I am quite sure that Fallout 4 will be worst.

Worse than Oblividerp? :troll:

Possibly. I'd say that Fallout 3 is in many ways worse than Oblivion- yes Oblivion is incredibly repetitive, boring and dull but Fallout's 3 quests and writing are a whole new level of bad.

Writing is absolutely retarded in both, but there's no way quests are better in Oblivion.

Quests in Fallout 3 are quite good for Bethesda standards, which is basically saying they're mediocre at best, but they show a lot more effort than Oblivion's. For example, the vampires wannabe quest, although is a terrible concept and have the Bethesda's trademark quality of writing, is actually a decent quest, with multiple solutions and aproachess (by any means previous Fallouts or New Vegas levels, but still). Oblivion has nothing of the sorts.

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Oblivion has nothing of the sorts.

Dark Brotherhood...
Never made that guild, so I usually forgot that is considered good.

Actually I never managed to finish any kind of guild in Oblivion. Too much shit to ignore in order to do so. But still, those are the exeptions, not the norm in Oblivion. Fallout 3 is more consistent in delivering quests that try to have different choices and outcomes, most of them binary, badly written, and terribly executed, but far better that the ones I saw in Oblivion.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
I enjoy fallout 3. What do i do now?

You should probably seek professional help.

Here's what I don't get, yes fallout 3 isn't the best fallout game and it's not the best RPG but I don't get how so many people hate the game.

I suggest this reading material to give you a deeper understanding.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...play-a-shitty-game-fallout-3-completed.34530/

Oblivion has nothing of the sorts.

Dark Brotherhood...
Never made that guild, so I usually forgot that is considered good.

Actually I never managed to finish any kind of guild in Oblivion. Too much shit to ignore in order to do so. But still, those are the exeptions, not the norm in Oblivion. Fallout 3 is more consistent in delivering quests that try to have different choices and outcomes, most of them binary, badly written, and terribly executed, but far better that the ones I saw in Oblivion.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Whodunit?

It's the one exception that manages to be interesting.

Crevice tab

Savant
Writing is absolutely retarded in both, but there's no way quests are better in Oblivion.

Quests in Fallout 3 are quite good for Bethesda standards, which is basically saying they're mediocre at best, but they show a lot more effort than Oblivion's. For example, the vampires wannabe quest, although is a terrible concept and have the Bethesda's trademark quality of writing, is actually a decent quest, with multiple solutions and aproachess (by any means previous Fallouts or New Vegas levels, but still). Oblivion has nothing of the sorts.

There's the vampire wannabe quest and one or two others.

The 'extra' problem with Fallout 3- aka the problem not even Oblivion had- is that half the writers played Fallout 1 the other half Fallout 2 and none of them understood anything: so you have a setting that tries to take itself seriously and yet at the same time be funny without understanding that Fallout's humor was related to Cold War antics. End result randomly throwing pop culture references in hopes that they're funny while trying to present a serious façade one quest later all packaged with writing that's seriously subpar even by the loose standards of AAA+ gaming. Verdict: shit. It goes beyond bad, beyond so bad it's good and straight into killing brain cells territory.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012

Here's what I don't get, yes fallout 3 isn't the best fallout game and it's not the best RPG but I don't get how so many people hate the game.
Erasing any chance for a true sequel to Fallout, for example.

There was a pile of criticism against mechanics, writing, story and quest design of vanilla Fallout 3, but I don't remember specifics.

Sykar

Arcane

1.) Illogical main plot. Go find daddy cuz reasons.
2.) Illogical setting. You live in an area which supposedly is still heavily contaminated after 200 years, yet you cannot walk 5 meters without stumbling upon some damn raider or supermutant or whatever. Also you find fresh water left and right, yet almost every lake, river, puddle, etc is heavily irradiated. None of the city represented should be able to sustain themselves for longer than 2 weeks or maybe a moths max. Mere trading with Brahmin drives cannot sustain that.
3.) Illogical retarded quests which even fail as comedey. See that city with the child ruler. Can't rember the crap anymore, was so derpy I nearly quit already at that point.
4.) Illogical reappearance of the Enclave.
5.) Some retarded gameplay mechanics, like turning VATS into godmode. IF you do not use VATS, then FO3 turns into a pretty shitty shooter with a carnival of overblown and overused gorefest.

Should I continue?

cjbulanda

Literate

I suggest this reading material to give you a deeper understanding.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...play-a-shitty-game-fallout-3-completed.34530/

No offense but this seems like nitpicking, like the fact hes complaining a ten year old has a bb Gun

cjbulanda

Literate

1.) Illogical main plot. Go find daddy cuz reasons.
2.) Illogical setting. You live in an area which supposedly is still heavily contaminated after 200 years, yet you cannot walk 5 meters without stumbling upon some damn raider or supermutant or whatever. Also you find fresh water left and right, yet almost every lake, river, puddle, etc is heavily irradiated. None of the city represented should be able to sustain themselves for longer than 2 weeks or maybe a moths max. Mere trading with Brahmin drives cannot sustain that.
3.) Illogical retarded quests which even fail as comedey. See that city with the child ruler. Can't rember the crap anymore, was so derpy I nearly quit already at that point.
4.) Illogical reappearance of the Enclave.
5.) Some retarded gameplay mechanics, like turning VATS into godmode. IF you do not use VATS, then FO3 turns into a pretty shitty shooter with a carnival of overblown and overused gorefest.

Should I continue?

1.Go find daddy because he left you for what seems to be no apparent reason. He seemed like a caring father and for him to leave like that seemed odd. Not the best plot but i dont see how its "illogical"
2.You're right, shouldn't be contaminated anymore nothing to retort that.
3.Child city wad dumb but I don't see how it makes all the quests bad.
4. Reappearance of the enclave isn't something that i could see as a bad thing. Some of them happened to not be on the oil rig and they got a call from a ZAX and flew there. How's that illogical?
5.Yeah, vats shouldnt be godmode, hope they fix it.

pippin

Vats was "fixed" in NV, you took like 75% of damage, while in 3 it was 15.
Dad could be relevant if it wasn't the main thing. They commited the crime of making your personal story the main thing in the game (unlike previous games).

cjbulanda

Literate
Dad could be relevant if it wasn't the main thing. They commited the crime of making your personal story the main thing in the game (unlike previous games).

Is saving your village and vault not personal?

pippin

Is saving your village and vault not personal?

Yes, but you discovered you weren't a special snowflake and there were many other things going on in the world that didn't had anything to do with you. I've always thought this was very interesting, because if you "win" it's not entirely because you're super awesome, but because there was some work done by different factions.

naossano

Cipher
One of the most fun things in the games is that they utterly destroy the concept of "chosen one".
What happen in Fo3 ? They create a litteral "chosen one".
Weren't you born, the project purity wouldn't have been on hold.
Your families issues kick the plot when you leave the vault and look for dad.
Then you fight for his legacy, meeting your destiny, a destiny that is even more ridiculous with Fawkes comments at the end.

And this isn't the only concept that Fo1-Fo2-FoT spent quite a lot of time deconstructiong/satiring/turning upside-down, that Fo3 took at face value.

It feels like Michael Bay making a Terry Gilliam's film sequel. Totally missing the point.

Duraframe300

Arcane
I would say the biggest crime in relation to the beginning was that they wrote your ENTIRE FUCKING CHILDHOOD.

It literary told me about specific people I should care about. The Fallout series should certainly give you a main reason (Waterchip/Save Village/Getting shot)

BUT THATS IT

It shouldn't mandate everything like F3 did.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

Depends on what you mean by "enjoy." A lot of people here played 100 hours of it and then declared it shit, which is a poser badass way of saying "I enjoyed playing it but found it disappointing." If that's what you mean, fair enough.

If you mean it was a well made game without many faults then... well... I dunno man.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom