Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Which Fallout Title is worse?

Which Fallout game is worse?

• Total voters

naossano

Cipher
Enjoying Fo3 is not the same as saying it is great, that it is the best Fallout game, that is well written, that it is an RPG, that it is faithfull to the lore, that Beth did what Obsidian always wanted to do or other things...

Sykar

Arcane
I enjoy fallout 3. What do i do now?

You should probably seek professional help.

Here's what I don't get, yes fallout 3 isn't the best fallout game and it's not the best RPG but I don't get how so many people hate the game.

1.) Illogical main plot. Go find daddy cuz reasons.
2.) Illogical setting. You live in an area which supposedly is still heavily contaminated after 200 years, yet you cannot walk 5 meters without stumbling upon some damn raider or supermutant or whatever. Also you find fresh water left and right, yet almost every lake, river, puddle, etc is heavily irradiated. None of the city represented should be able to sustain themselves for longer than 2 weeks or maybe a moths max. Mere trading with Brahmin drives cannot sustain that.
3.) Illogical retarded quests which even fail as comedey. See that city with the child ruler. Can't rember the crap anymore, was so derpy I nearly quit already at that point.
4.) Illogical reappearance of the Enclave.
5.) Some retarded gameplay mechanics, like turning VATS into godmode. IF you do not use VATS, then FO3 turns into a pretty shitty shooter with a carnival of overblown and overused gorefest.

Should I continue?

1.Go find daddy because he left you for what seems to be no apparent reason. He seemed like a caring father and for him to leave like that seemed odd. Not the best plot but i dont see how its "illogical"
2.You're right, shouldn't be contaminated anymore nothing to retort that.
3.Child city wad dumb but I don't see how it makes all the quests bad.
4. Reappearance of the enclave isn't something that i could see as a bad thing. Some of them happened to not be on the oil rig and they got a call from a ZAX and flew there. How's that illogical?
5.Yeah, vats shouldnt be godmode, hope they fix it.

1.) Yet they pump it up that finding daddy = saving the world. Or at least the DC area. The whole shenaningans how you have to flee the vault is also kinda jarring. Going against those guards with what? Pistol or was it a bat? Either way, idiotic.
3.) Of course not all quests were retarded and/or bad, but there were plenty enough to make it really cringeworthy.
4.) The Enclave had nothing left, not big base of operations, no leadership, barely any resources since their main HQ was the Oil Rig with Navarro being their main training center. Both taken out. How the hell do they get back like that?
5.) They fixed it in New Vegas. Not only does it not stop enemy movement completely, you take double damage iirc.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
4.) The Enclave had nothing left, not big base of operations, no leadership, barely any resources since their main HQ was the Oil Rig with Navarro being their main training center. Both taken out. How the hell do they get back like that?
Err... no.
Destruction of Navarro by the Chosen One isn't a reasonable assumption. It was heavily guarded by power-armoured soldiers with plasma weapons and plasma cannon turrets.
Most reasonable assumption is Chosen One doing his quests in Navarro by using deception and then sneaking out.

In Fo3 and Fo:NV backstory, DC Enclave came from Navarro and those who remained in Navarro were wiped out a few years later by NCR.

Damn, forgot there is a perfect gif reply for that question

tumblr_mcvassmiYp1qkt4ty.gif

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I just checked out Enclave guard stats and I just realised these guys are more powerful and better protected than Mutant Lieutenant. The only thing they had inferior was that they had 200 HP instead of 250 HP.
Makes me wonder if it was just Fallout 2 being a ridiculous munchkinfest or the game giving the player a hint that ey can't win against them using combat and should invest in combat avoidance skills.

Renegen

Arcane
Am I the only one who doesn't hate Fallout 3? Yeah it's a terrible game, but the Fallout franchise was in the same state as computer RPGs were back in 2007, dead, burried and never to be seen again. Black Isle? Dead. Troika? Bankrupt. Obsidian? Desperately trying to survive by sucking Bioware cock. Yeah Fallout 3 is bad, I will never forgive the person who forced us Megaton on all of us, but seeing deathclaws, raiders, vaults and re-experiencing some type of RPG gameplay all in the beauty of first person perspective. I was glad anything not named Oblivion was getting released for me to play.

We've been spoiled in the last few years, let's not forget how dark things were last generation, Dragon Age Codex GOTY certainly won't make us ever forget.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Am I the only one who doesn't hate Fallout 3? Yeah it's a terrible game, but the Fallout franchise was in the same state as computer RPGs were back in 2007, dead, burried and never to be seen again. Black Isle? Dead. Troika? Bankrupt. Obsidian? Desperately trying to survive by sucking Bioware cock. Yeah Fallout 3 is bad, I will never forgive the person who forced us Megaton on all of us, but seeing deathclaws, raiders, vaults and re-experiencing some type of RPG gameplay all in the beauty of first person perspective. I was glad anything not named Oblivion was getting released for me to play.

It's an okay waste of time. It has serious plot, system and world design issues and the quest design is terrible, but you can enjoy wasting time in it like any other Bethesda game.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted

We've been spoiled in the last few years, let's not forget how dark things were last generation, Dragon Age Codex GOTY certainly won't make us ever forget.

It's alright. Definitely some retarded aspects and some wasted potential, but yes, as you said, exploring the Fallout world in first person is good. Greater interactivity & immersion. And I'm a first person/Immersive Sim fag.
Also one of the lead designers was ex-LGS, and it shows. It is an odd mix between the following styles of of RPG: Looking Glass' (Ultima Underworld, Deus Ex), Interplay's (Fallout) & Bethesda's (Morrowind), with a bit of popamole thrown in. I enjoyed playing it probably more than most people here, but most criticism against it is valid: at times terrible writing, some flaws in the RPG systems, a bit too much copy/paste trademark Bethesda world design, lore conflicts, VATS etc. All in all, considering it was released in, what, 2008, it is pretty good. because the steepest of decline had already begun by then. It was better than Oblivion anyways.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
New Vegas though...New Vegas is the shit. If it weren't for Fallout 3, New Vegas wouldn't have happened.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Fallout 3. If only for the merit of insisting on being a "sequel" and being the game that matters when it comes to the future of the series. PoS is of course technically worse, but they are very much sister titles anyway.

Sykar

Arcane
Err... no.
Destruction of Navarro by the Chosen One isn't a reasonable assumption. It was heavily guarded by power-armoured soldiers with plasma weapons and plasma cannon turrets.
Most reasonable assumption is Chosen One doing his quests in Navarro by using deception and then sneaking out.

In Fo3 and Fo:NV backstory, DC Enclave came from Navarro and those who remained in Navarro were wiped out a few years later by NCR.

Mh, ok, I might be derpy then since I always wiped the Enclave completely from the map.

It's alright. Definitely some retarded aspects and some wasted potential, but yes, as you said, exploring the Fallout world in first person is good. Greater interactivity & immersion. And I'm a first person/Immersive Sim fag.
Also one of the lead designers was ex-LGS, and it shows. It is an odd mix between the following styles of of RPG: Looking Glass' (Ultima Underworld, Deus Ex), Interplay's (Fallout) & Bethesda's (Morrowind), with a bit of popamole thrown in. I enjoyed playing it probably more than most people here, but most criticism against it is valid: at times terrible writing, some flaws in the RPG systems, a bit too much copy/paste trademark Bethesda world design, lore conflicts, VATS etc. All in all, considering it was released in, what, 2008, it is pretty good. because the steepest of decline had already begun by then. It was better than Oblivion anyways.

Nothing beats Oblividerp, not even Dragon Turd: Inquitardation, imo.

naossano

Cipher

The franchise wasn't dead at all. Beth, Universal's Interplay, Troïka & Bioware were fighting for it. Beth just happened to have more money & better lawyers. They aren't the savior of the franchise. I am tired of repeating all the fact on other forums. I would be glad if someone else fill him in.

laclongquan

Arcane

It's an okay waste of time. It has serious plot, system and world design issues and the quest design is terrible, but you can enjoy wasting time in it like any other Bethesda game.
COME. ON! Man up and admit you play it for the nude mods. I still havent played it yet, but if I ever do, it will be modded to fare-thee-well.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Err... no.

Mh, ok, I might be derpy then since I always wiped the Enclave completely from the map.
Without reloading game?

Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
I have big faith in Bethesda. So I am quite sure that Fallout 4 will be worst.

Worse than Oblividerp?
Even Tim Cain, the father of Fallout, said that Oblivion was better Fallout title than Fallout 3!

There were so many good RPG’s released in the last decade that it is hard to choose the “RPG of the Decade”. I am embarrassed to say that I haven’t played some of them, and I only want to nominate a game that I have played. And that list is still large: Baldur’s Gate 2, Icewind Dale 2, Neverwinter Nights, Dragon Age (Bioware is on a roll in my list, you can see), Fable, Deus Ex, Fallout 3, Geneforge. So I am going with a game that captured my imagination and that I played for many many hours, and that I think about when designing my own games. And that game is…

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
:codexisfor:

Sykar

Arcane

Worse than Oblividerp?
Even Tim Cain, the father of Fallout, said that Oblivion was better Fallout title than Fallout 3!

There were so many good RPG’s released in the last decade that it is hard to choose the “RPG of the Decade”. I am embarrassed to say that I haven’t played some of them, and I only want to nominate a game that I have played. And that list is still large: Baldur’s Gate 2, Icewind Dale 2, Neverwinter Nights, Dragon Age (Bioware is on a roll in my list, you can see), Fable, Deus Ex, Fallout 3, Geneforge. So I am going with a game that captured my imagination and that I played for many many hours, and that I think about when designing my own games. And that game is…

:what:

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted

And better than Deus Ex...

:whatho:

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Even if Brotherhood of Steel might be the worse game, FO3 gets the vote for not only being shitty, but for shattering expectations and almost destroying the franshise.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012

Worse than Oblividerp?

:what:
That man is responsible for the horror of Arcanum. He probably has no sense of good mechanics design and is good just at copying stuff from others like in GURPS: Fallout and ToEE.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom