Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Which Final Fantasies do you think are actually decent?

Good Final Fantasy Games?

• Final Fantasy

Votes: 27 19.6%
  • Final Fantasy 2

Votes: 14 10.1%
  • Final Fantasy 3

Votes: 17 12.3%
  • Final Fantasy 4

Votes: 34 24.6%
  • Final Fantasy 6

Votes: 80 58.0%
  • Final Fantasy 7(kc)

Votes: 40 29.0%
  • Final Fantasy: Dirge of Cerberus(KC)

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Final Fantasy 8

Votes: 28 20.3%
  • Final Fantasy 9

Votes: 51 37.0%
  • Final Fantasy 10(KC)

Votes: 24 17.4%
  • Final Fantasy 11

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • Final Fantasy 12

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Final Fantasy 13(KC)

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Final Fantasy 14: The Failed Online Abortion

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • None

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • All of them (KC)

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Kill yourself Weeb

Votes: 21 15.2%
  • Final Fantasy 5

Votes: 42 30.4%
  • Tactics (1,2,etc.)

Votes: 62 44.9%

• Total voters

Hyperion

Arcane
Numerous endings was part of it, but very few games actually kill off the main character, and replace him with the primary antagonist of the first half of the game with the option of not resurrecting him. Add in the option of visiting his mother without him, and you are a far cry from your typical JRPG. I'm sure a lot of us weren't even 10 years old when that happened. The antithesis to the power fantasy you get from most games. Go up against the big baddie, and get disintegrated in an instant.

Compare that to even FF7. Was there ever a doubt of Cloud and Tifa returning to the party?

Hyperion

Arcane
Which is probably why Crono gets killed anyway, even if you bring his ass back.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Final-Fantasy-III-2000x1370.jpg
Final_Fantasy_VI.jpg
34-final-fantasy-iii-advert.jpg

Hyperion

Arcane
Can't leave out the commercial either. Forever etched Danny DeVito as Mog in my brain.

Hassar

Scholar
I was a young teen in the 90s and remembered seeing commercials for FFVI/3US. It was the one with Mog and a bunch of monsters. Now I lived near Chinatown in NYC so was aware of the import market, having gotten the Super Famicom converter and having purchased the Japanese version of FFV but my friends were excited because the FFVI/3US commercials were on tv and ads were in comic books. Gamers were definitely aware of it and I would say this was the FF that first got a media push. FFVII got much more of one but I think FFVI/3US was much more available and marketed than FF1 or FFIV/2US were.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
..and rightly so. Is there anything to say about those not-really-interactive corridor simulators?

Emmanuel2

Savant
Looking over the steam sale, Lightning Returns and X/X-2 HD caught my eye. Which of these would offer the better combat/gameplay and has better, more content or just would generally recommend?

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
PSP remake has a better translation and some extra content. It needs a patch to run correctly, though.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Looking over the steam sale, Lightning Returns and X/X-2 HD caught my eye. Which of these would offer the better combat/gameplay and has better, more content or just would generally recommend?

X/X-2 obviously. Two games for the price of one and the combat doesn't actually play itself, so it's not ENTIRELY an interactive movie.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
PSP remake has a better translation and some extra content. It needs a patch to run correctly, though.
How's the Android version as far as performance goes? It's apparently the only one with some visual changes.

FFT_redrawn.jpg

Emmanuel2

Savant

X/X-2 obviously. Two games for the price of one and the combat doesn't actually play itself, so it's not ENTIRELY an interactive movie.

Ahh, thanks but isn't Lightning Returns involved due to its action oriented gameplay rather than XIII/XIII-2?

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
How's the Android version as far as performance goes? It's apparently the only one with some visual changes.

FFT_redrawn.jpg

I don't own an Android, but the iOS version is prone to crashing and hasn't been updated to fit modern screens. Not worth the cost of having to deal with poor UI/touchscreen controls. I believe you can use a gamepad (or mi-fi or whatever) but don't quote me on that.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron

Ahh, thanks but isn't Lightning Returns involved due to its action oriented gameplay rather than XIII/XIII-2?

Ah, so it's a single player character action game?

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
All fanboyism and shipping aside, they're all basically competitive up to 11. 10 and especially 8 are possible exceptions, but they have redeeming or at least justifiable experimental qualities.

11 was an ultimately unremarkable MMO. 100% Enix.
12 was still 'good' but injected excessive MMO logic. 60% Enix to 40% Square.
13 has redeeming qualities, but far fewer than 10 or 8. 90% Enix o 10% Square for the first game, then 70% Enix to 30% Square for the next two.
14 is remarkable for being bad at release and being unremarkable after that. 100% Enix in either case.

Essentially the given quality of a Final Fantasy game is partly a ratio of how much it is Enix versus how much it is Square.

Mr.Indie

Barely Literate
Apart from the classics (<10), I think World of Final Fantasy and Final Fantasy Type-0 are quite good for modern final fantasies.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom