Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which game made you give up on Bioware?

The game that made me quit Bioware forever was...

• Total voters

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
NWN got a pass for the toolset and online features. Sure, the OC was awful but their resources went elsewhere. And the hope of getting a new wave of FRUA style adventures as a million fans would churn them out was amazing. Then JE and Kotor were their flirtation with consoles, sure they were crap but it was console stuff, they had to do it for profit. Mass Effect was kinda good, if a little awkward shooter-RPG hybrid and the possibilities of exploring this half-baked sci-fi galaxy were interesting. But then came the double-whammy of ME2 and DAO and no excuse could save Bioware.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Top notch action gameplay? Original story structure? Top notch action gameplay?

If you properly view it as an unintentional spiritual successor to Dungeon Siege it's a great game. not a lot of party based arpgs to begin with. If you expect another IE clone it's obv gonna be garbage. But so was Origins, and Origins was just a bad game, period.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
frankenmom.jpg

Dragon Age 2 makes you feel like a warden in an asylum for the most violent offenders. Everyone is irrational. Every mage is crazy. You have to kill 20 people to cross a street.
It takes a real skill to create a whole game with almost zero humanity in it. Playing it is an uncanny experience. It's hard to describe... I felt... mentally soiled. I sometimes feel something similar while watching cheap explotation horrors. Something like this:
re-animator_1.jpg
Except cheap horrors can be fun.

Top notch action gameplay? Original story structure? Top notch action gameplay?

If you properly view it as an unintentional spiritual successor to Dungeon Siege it's a great game. not a lot of party based arpgs to begin with. If you expect another IE clone it's obv gonna be garbage. But so was Origins, and Origins was just a bad game, period.

I only expect them to do what they're trying to do well. In the case of Dragon Age 2 they were trying to do an action based combat system, in this aim they failed spectacularly.

They failed on a number of other levels with that game as well, but I could forgive a lot of the other shit if the actual gameplay wasn't so incredibly terrible. Instead what you've got with Dragon Age 2 is a bad game on a gameplay level that piles on a number of other half-assed shit on top of it. I'm trying to think of another game put out by a major publisher in the 2010s as lazily done as Dragon Age 2 but I can't.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot

Dungeon Siege? That's a new one. I honestly don't recall Dungeon Siege being renown for endless cut-scenes and loading screens, in fact, pretty much the only whole point of Dungeon Siege was to be able to play a game without endless cut-scenes and loading screens.

I wasn't expecting another IE clone and I still thought it was garbage. You then refer to Origins as a bad game, which somehow implies Dragon Age 2 is, in some weird and perverted version of reality in your mind, an entity which should be referred to as a game. If there's one thing DA2 isn't, it's a game. It's a cutscene generator.

Last edited:

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard

Dungeon Siege? That's a new one. I honestly don't recall Dungeon Siege being renown for endless cut-scenes and loading screens, in fact, pretty much the only whole point of Dungeon Siege was to be able to play a game without endless cut-scenes and loading screens.

I wasn't expecting another IE clone and I still thought it was garbage. You then refer to Origins as a bad game, which somehow implies Dragon Age 2 is, in some weird and perverted version of reality in your mind, an entity which should be referred to as a game. If there's one thing DA2 isn't, it's a game. It's a cutscene generator.

90% of the game is running around/combat and I never had trouble with long loading screens either. maybe it doesn't run well on a potatostation or potatobox, I wouldn't know. I have a PC. :smug:

Dungeon siege had much more simplistic combat and no real story, DA2 improves on both.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
So you agree it has tons of loading screens, that's big of you.

No I don't, they don't stand out to me at all and I don't remember anyone else complaining about it. Maybe because they load quickly on my not a console machine so there's no reason to notice how many there are and if it's too many. :smug:

From what I remember they only show up when transitioning areas and the areas themselves are fairly large so I don't see how they could become a problem.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot

No I don't, they don't stand out to me at all and I don't remember anyone else complaining about it. Maybe because they load quickly on my not a console machine so there's no reason to notice how many there are and if it's too many. :smug:

From what I remember they only show up when transitioning areas and the areas themselves are fairly large so I don't see how they could become a problem.

You are aware that the statement "DA2 has tons of loading screens" is a fact, right. It's not something that is 'debatable'. You understand how facts work, yes?

And you also understand that the rebuttal of "I don't care cos I don't care" does not impact that fact, right?

ie: The discussion was initiated by you comparing DA2 to Dungeon Siege. Dungeon Siege was 'different' because it was a game completely devoid of loading screens, that was its primary justification for being a notable game. DA2 is jam packed with loading screens. Therefore the comparison is a stupid one. Whether you personally didn't mind the loading screens is entirely irrelevant to the purpose of your post - to compare two games. Likewise, Dungeon Siege was mostly devoid of cutscenes, to which DA2 is primarily a cutscene generator, to which you've [smartly?] dropped this line of rebuttal.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard

You are aware that the statement "DA2 has tons of loading screens" is a fact, right. It's not something that is 'debatable'. You understand how facts work, yes?

Wrong, it's purely subjective.

And you also understand that the rebuttal of "I don't care cos I don't care" does not impact that fact, right?

ie: The discussion was initiated by you comparing DA2 to Dungeon Siege. Dungeon Siege was 'different' because it was a game completely devoid of loading screens, that was its primary justification for being a notable game. DA2 is jam packed with loading screens. Therefore the comparison is a stupid one. Whether you personally didn't mind the loading screens is entirely irrelevant to the purpose of your post - to compare two games. Likewise, Dungeon Siege was mostly devoid of cutscenes, to which DA2 is primarily a cutscene generator, to which you've [smartly?] dropped this line of rebuttal.

dungeon siege was a party based arpg. that's why I compared it to DA2. I can only imagine the depths of your autism if the chief point of comparison between two games are the fucking loading screens. :lol:

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Wrong, it's purely subjective.

Nope.

dungeon siege was a party based arpg. that's why I compared it to DA2. I can only imagine the depths of your autism if the chief point of comparison between two games are the fucking loading screens. :lol:

Ah yes, of course, the 'someone has noticed you're talking complete bollocks therefore they must be autistic' meme. Never fails. I guess you're so 'un-autistic' that you think naming any random party based aRPG automatically means you can compare it to any other random party-based aRPG, you know, like how Legend of Grimrock must be like Dragon Age 2, because it's a party-based aRPG? And that because you've noticed one single vague-similarity then the thousands of reasons why they are nothing even remotely alike must all be brushed under the carpet and treated like 'idiot autists'... because you're, what, some kind of lawl, gaffaw, oh my, my sides are splitting, some kind of 'mastermind'...? :lol:

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Ah yes, of course, the 'someone has noticed you're talking complete bollocks therefore they must be autistic' meme. Never fails. I guess you're so 'un-autistic' that you think naming any random party based aRPG automatically means you can compare it to any other random party-based aRPG,you know, like how Legend of Grimrock must be like Dragon Age 2, because it's a party-based aRPG? And that because you've noticed one single vague-similarity then the thousands of reasons why they are nothing even remotely alike must all be brushed under the carpet and treated like 'idiot autists'... because you're, what, some kind of lawl, gaffaw, oh my, my sides are splitting, some kind of 'mastermind'...? :lol:

legend of grimrock is step based and first person, it obv plays very differently. a fucking loading screen has next to no effect on how a game plays. There are also many other similarities between dungeon siege and DA2 whereas there are mostly substantial differences between grmirock and da2. comparing gameplay elements with the length and frequency of the fucking loading screens is pure autism, yes. gtfo bitch

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Dragon Age 2 was when I stopped believing. It's not often I walk out on an RPG halfway through, but I just wasn't having fun any more and I didn't care about any of the characters.

I actually did play some Inquisition and didn't completely hate it ... doing things on a checklist in an MMO can be fine. Actually I've often wished for a "single-player MMO". But I lost my save file or something and couldn't recreate my bald protagonist exactly because they didn't let you export your character so I said fuck it.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
legend of grimrock is step based and first person, it obv plays very differently. a fucking loading screen has next to no effect on how a game plays. There are also many other similarities between dungeon siege and DA2 whereas there are mostly substantial differences between grmirock and da2. comparing gameplay elements with the length and frequency of the fucking loading screens is pure autism, yes. gtfo bitch

Oh, how interesting, with the mention of Legend of Grimrock you are now actually suddenly talking about more details than just "It's a party-based aRPG", what a huge shame you then completely fail to make any substancial similarities between Dungeon Siege and DA2 [baring in mind your only other 'similarity' of them both being 90% combat was complete horseshit].

You also seem literally incapable of understanding the loading screen point, even though it has been explained to you in baby-level language, and you still just screech 'autism' as though that's supposed to mean anything to anyone but yourself...

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
I was promised a spiritual successor to BG and BG 2, in which I would be able to enslave nations using powerful necromancy. I got DA: O instead. I shall grant them that the Origins system was pretty neat, but that is all. I'm still wondering why Games Workshop didn't sue them for stealing the Warp and renaming it the Fade.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
You're arguing with the biggest retard who posts on Codex. Anything you think you can accomplish, is wasted already. Give it up man and go do something productive with your life.

By productive I assume you mean I should scour the codex for threads where people have more than one or two exchanges and then pointlessly and meddlingly tell them that they're being unproductive.

Yeah, isn't the Warp & Fade basically the Astral Plane from '60s Dr. Strange & X-Men comics? And the idea of the Astral Plane is a whole lot older than '60s Marvel comics.

Theldaran

Liturgist
I was promised a spiritual successor to BG and BG 2, in which I would be able to enslave nations using powerful necromancy. I got DA: O instead. I shall grant them that the Origins system was pretty neat, but that is all. I'm still wondering why Games Workshop didn't sue them for stealing the Warp and renaming it the Fade.

There are a lot of things like the Fade. Like Tel'aran'rhiod or whatever it's spelled. It's hardly a new idea, no matter how much Bioware fans applaud it.

Self-Ejected

c2007

Self-Ejected
I don't know.

But I do know I uninstalled all of the Dragon Age games last night.

It felt like taking a bath.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom