Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which game made you give up on Bioware?

The game that made me quit Bioware forever was...

• Total voters
Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot

Falksi

Arcane
228 votes in total so far, and only 1 person still buys Bioware games.

And now the flakey COD audience which they chased so dearly has turned it's back on them with ME:A too.

That's what you get when you treat folk like commodities, reap what you sow.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

And now the flakey COD audience which they chased so dearly has turned it's back on them with ME:A too.

I am curious,what is the "Another game not listed here"?

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I was actually pretty happy with DA:O... Then got very disappointed with DA2 but - for some reason - still held some hope. I got DA:I. Boy, was that shit. That was when I lost hope for them completely. It felt like they really have no idea

Falksi

Arcane

Good question.

DA:O have that golden middle,casual yet an RPG with some complexity. Also well written characters.

Which makes it even more baffling why they didn't continue with that approach.

There's always gonna be someone pissed off, but DA:O seemed to hit a very sweet spot of casualizing the genre, whilst still keeping enough elements for more hardcore fans to enjoy too.

Thats' why I voted for DA:I. Making a fuckup with DA:2 I can fogrive as a mistep, but doing that, saying you've recognized you fucked up and are gonna go back to the older formula as a result, and then moving away even further.....I mean.....it's bad beyond insulting.

Here are the other games (potential candidates) for the that nebulous title...

220px-MDK2_Packshot.jpeg

Third-Person Action game with bizarre sense of humor. It was released a few months before Baldur's Gate 2.

220px-The_Dark_Brotherhood.jpg

JRPG-inspired with Turn-Based Combat. Released almost a full year after Mass Effect and several months before...

220px-Mass_Effect_Galaxy_logo.PNG

Prequel to Mass Effect 2 staring Jacob and Miranda released in 2009 for iOS

Other than that considering the time frame of that poll...

ShatteredSteelBoxArtPC.jpg

Mech combat game similar to Mech Warrior released in 1996. Bioware's first video game.

220px-Baldur%27s_Gate_box.PNG

Real-Time with Pause Isometric Party Based RPG released in 1998. Bioware's first RPG. (Based on D&D)

220px-Baldur%27s_Gate_II_-_Shadows_of_Amn_Coverart.png

Sequel to above mentioned released in 2000.

Other than that there are expansion packs (Tales of Sword Coast, Throne of Bhaal, Shadows of Undrentide, etc.) but since those are not specified in the list as well its hard to say.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Yeah nothing that could disappoint an RPG fan. Either good games or games that no self respecting codexer will touch.

Cael

Arcane
DA2 for me. I saw a demo in a shop of the character creation screen and gameplay and tossed it aside.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
DA 2 consensus seems to be winning by landslide, and it makes complete sense: it is when we knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that even with their "traditional fantasy" franchise, the last gasp of "true BioWare" meant for the "fans", they were chasing only the mass market and a quick buck without a care for the RPG genre or even a care for making a solid product.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
DA 2 consensus seems to be winning by landslide, and it makes complete sense: it is when we knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that even with their "traditional fantasy" franchise, the last gasp of "true BioWare" meant for the "fans", they were chasing only the mass market and a quick buck without a care for the RPG genre or even a care for making a solid product.
The road to EA's jaws is paved with greedy intentions.

Theldaran

Liturgist
DA2 was a dire warning, but I still was weak and purchased Inquisition, for 10 bucks of course. Now, it isn't even worth those 10 bucks.

So now I'm wishing Bioware a safe voyage to developer's graveyard.

At least I acknowledged there was no point in me playing Mass Effect past the first part.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I gave up exactly with Jade Empire.
Was such a complete shit of a game and it was obviously after NWN and that there is no hope.

And time showed that I didn't miss anything.

Azarkon

Arcane
There wasn't a specific game. It was more of a gradual decline due to the increasingly shit attitude of the developers and the design decisions resulting from that attitude. The combination of social justice politics and generally poor game design reached intolerable levels in Dragon Age Inquisition, and that was the last game I actually played, but it was obvious even before the game's release that I would likely hate it because of what the developers were saying, and I didn't even play Dragon Age 2. I heard Mass Effect Andromeda managed to be even worse, so I guess they still haven't reached rock bottom, but the signs were there long before... Since probably KOTOR, in fact.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
they were chasing only the mass market and a quick buck without a care for the RPG genre or even a care for making a solid product.
It was more of a gradual decline due to the increasingly shit attitude of the developers and the design decisions resulting from that attitude

The big factor that most likely lead to this relentless pursuit of the mainstream market was the commercial success of Bethesda's games, which got progressively dumbed-down without any interruption as Bioware flailed about in an attempt to catch up.

CootKeeper

Augur
NWN. Henchmen NPCs, bland story, filler combat and copy-pasted areas. it felt like they forgot to make a bullet point list of what people liked in their games.

I have to say I quite liked the ensuing shitstorms for every game they made since then. I'm hoping for another season at least!

Chunkyman

Augur
I liked DA:O a lot and I wasn't aware just how badly EA and leftism would ruin them, so I preordered Dragon Age 2 thinking it would be alright at worst. Ended up being legitimately the worst game I've ever bought and it turned me off from both pre-ordering and Bioware games forever.

Ausdoerrt

Augur
DA:O. I was expecting something similar to BG2 or at least NWN, instead we got some consoley bullshit with crap camera, MMO-style cooldowns, repetitive combat and uninspired maps. In retrospect, it's actually not that bad, but at the time it was one of the biggest disappointments in gaming.

Unwanted

Musaab

Unwanted
I just couldn't accept the forced homosexuality that they started jamming into everything. I don't want anything jammed into me...especially by some faggot.

Falksi

Arcane
DA:O. I was expecting something similar to BG2 or at least NWN, instead we got some consoley bullshit with crap camera, MMO-style cooldowns, repetitive combat and uninspired maps. In retrospect, it's actually not that bad, but at the time it was one of the biggest disappointments in gaming.

It's for this reason I never read hype-train promotion before a game is released. DA:O caught me left-field as I'd not gamed seriously for around 8 years. I moved in with the ex missus and she bought it me for Xmas and I absolutely thrived on it. Whilst the generic elements were obvious, I was still able to just thoroughly enjoy it for what it was because I'd not built up any expectation beforehand.

Now that's a damn sight harder to do with direct sequels, the very nature of them is to expect more of the same, but DA:O was a leap forward from BG2 & NWN, and it's actually a massive shame it wasn't praised by the more hardcore RPG-ers. Because for me it's the best hardcore-casual balance I've seen in a tactical RPG, and we'd have been far better off had Bioware stuck with that approach rather than feeling shunned by the hardcore gamers, and deciding to chase the casual crowd even more.

The best thing that could happen to us, Bioware & EA is for everyone to forgive & forget, and a PROPER sequel to DA:O to arrive. Now that is high fantasy though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom