Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which game should I play next?

Shilandra

Learned
Im not quite sure if this thread is in the right place so if it isn't mods please feel free to move it.

I've been playing through some classic rpgs and I wanted to know which game I should play next, baldur's gate or arcanum. They're both RTwP games with great stories and characters from what i've heard so I think one of them would be prime material for me to check off my list. Especially since I still struggle a bit with combat and micromanagement in these RTwP games.

If I play baldur's gate first should I play one and then two? And should I play the vanilla editions(if I can find them) Or the Extended Editions? Any help decided I could get would be greatly appreciated.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
inb4 everybody and his mother recommends Arcanum to the piss poor sod even though it has abysmal gameplay and will burn the fucker forever from playing any classic CRPG ever again

play BG, buddy, trust me.

da_rays

Augur
It all boils down to what you wanna play i guess, on the 2 you mentionned , i would go for arcanum , but thats a personal opinion. Arcanum had a richer story for my taste , BG1 is a good game also but ive played it a bit too much. Since you are going through some classic you might wanan consider Wizardry 6-7-8 , Might & Magic 3-9 , even 10 is a good game for a blobber. All TB tho , no RTwP here. As for your last question , i could be mistaken but the EE edition doesnt feature a lot of new stuff aside from a bit of zooming and GFX amelioration. Id advise going for the vanilla version then put mods on whatever you want. Or if thats not your cup of tea. Steam or GoG EE edition is no hassle to install and play. BUT if your looking for some classic RPG to play, browse around a bit in the forum , im sure youll find some nice things to play with. SitS is a very good RTwP which you might like.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
- Arcanum or BG is up to you. BG1 can be somewhat underwhelming if you're a story fag, but it'll get much better in BG2. You could actually start off with BG2 literally, then do the prequel when you're emotionally invested with the story.
Personally I'd recommend BG2, then Arcanum, then BG1.

- BG vanilla or BGEE?

I'd say BG vanilla, except one problem. BG was made for square screens, so you'd have to install wide screen mod.
It would keep the same internal resolution, but the viewport gets incredibly big: http://www.abload.de/img/bgmain2011-02-1422-10-fm79.png - you're seeing more on the screen than the game initially intended. It's not dramatic, but it's not very canon. Your characters can't even see that far, so you'll always have parts of the screen covered with fog of war, so that's just screenspace wasted.
BGEE offers the possibility of zooming in (disable zoom and enable scaling, that would provide the best zoom level on its own), which makes it more canon: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/62420848/20160409144652_1.jpg - this is exactly how much you're supposed to see on the screen.

Also BG1EE changes the original movies, which is bad. Not in BG2EE though, if I remember correctly.

Anyway, no mods are necessary on your first playthrough (other than the widescreen mod if you play vanilla BG1-2, and bigger fonts).

Now you can make your own choice.

Shilandra

Learned
It all boils down to what you wanna play i guess, on the 2 you mentionned , i would go for arcanum , but thats a personal opinion. Arcanum had a richer story for my taste , BG1 is a good game also but ive played it a bit too much. Since you are going through some classic you might wanan consider Wizardry 6-7-8 , Might & Magic 3-9 , even 10 is a good game for a blobber. All TB tho , no RTwP here. As for your last question , i could be mistaken but the EE edition doesnt feature a lot of new stuff aside from a bit of zooming and GFX amelioration. Id advise going for the vanilla version then put mods on whatever you want. Or if thats not your cup of tea. Steam or GoG EE edition is no hassle to install and play. BUT if your looking for some classic RPG to play, browse around a bit in the forum , im sure youll find some nice things to play with. SitS is a very good RTwP which you might like.

I dont mind turn based games, in fact I prefer them. Its just that I have trouble actually playing RTwP games because they're combat can be overwhelming for me. So im trying to get better at it by playing more RTwP games. Ill definitely check out those games you mentioned though.

Shilandra

Learned
- Arcanum or BG is up to you. BG1 can be somewhat underwhelming if you're a story fag, but it'll get much better in BG2. You could actually start off with BG2 literally, then do the prequel when you're emotionally invested with the story.
Personally I'd recommend BG2, then Arcanum, then BG1.

- BG vanilla or BGEE?

I'd say BG vanilla, except one problem. BG was made for square screens, so you'd have to install wide screen mod.
It would keep the same internal resolution, but the viewport gets incredibly big: http://www.abload.de/img/bgmain2011-02-1422-10-fm79.png - you're seeing more on the screen than the game initially intended. It's not dramatic, but it's not very canon. Your characters can't even see that far, so you'll always have parts of the screen covered with fog of war, so that's just screenspace wasted.
BGEE offers the possibility of zooming in (disable zoom and enable scaling, that would provide the best zoom level on its own), which makes it more canon: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/62420848/20160409144652_1.jpg - this is exactly how much you're supposed to see on the screen.

Also BG1EE changes the original movies, which is bad. Not in BG2EE though, if I remember correctly.

Anyway, no mods are necessary on your first playthrough (other than the widescreen mod if you play vanilla BG1-2, and bigger fonts).

Now you can make your own choice.

So the EE for BG2 has very minimal to no changes then? Thats good to know. The lineup you suggest sounds good too.

It's normal if you have problems with RTwP.
Because RTwP is shit.

haha yeah, it can be pretty rough. But I dont want to miss out on anything or have to tough a time playing new or old rpgs because I couldn't wrap my head around the system. Its there being used so i might as well jump into the shit and learn how to swim.

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'd play BG2, skip the first one, it's really nothing special. And don't expect too much in terms of writing or you'll be disappointed.

da_rays

Augur

I dont mind turn based games, in fact I prefer them. Its just that I have trouble actually playing RTwP games because they're combat can be overwhelming for me. So im trying to get better at it by playing more RTwP games. Ill definitely check out those games you mentioned though.

You like TB better? Then stay away from BG1, Arcanum is a fun ride if you tolerate the combat style. Im gonna retract my opinion a bit then , and go for Fuck RTwP , aside maybe from Serpents in the stagland , there is so much giid TB CRPG out there. granted , BG2 is very nice to play but personally id put thoses 50-80hrs elsewhere. Just on the top of my head....Wiz8 , Underrail , telepath tactic and i could go on and on. Im not saying ''dont play BG2'' but there is so much good TB classic and new game that are totally worth it

laclongquan

Arcane
if you feel like playing BG1, might as well do the Baldur's Gate Trilogy and play bg1 in BG2 engine. No need to subject yourself to BG1 antiquated stuffs~

On the other hand, if you play BG1 original then Icewind Dale1, then Icewind Dale 2, then Baldur's Gate 2.

Neanderthal

Arcane
BG is a glorified ARPG really, alright game but dead world an not many features, fairly decent gameplay. Arcanum is a big, cluttered mess, that is much more ambitious an at times broken than BG, great story, fantastic reactivity an setting, but at times needlessly frustrating. Know which one i'd choose but i'm not you.

Shilandra

Learned
BG is a glorified ARPG really, alright game but dead world an not many features, fairly decent gameplay. Arcanum is a big, cluttered mess, that is much more ambitious an at times broken than BG, great story, fantastic reactivity an setting, but at times needlessly frustrating. Know which one i'd choose but i'm not you.

I'd like to focus on the game with stuff like what you mentioned. Story, reactivity and setting are super important to me. Although I'd like to get better with dealing with RTwP combat by playing BG if the other game has fantastic story and characters ill play it first. But BG does have at least have good story and characters right?

Also I have to ask, do either game have acts/segments similar to the lower/clerk's ward in planescape? Where there isn't to much combat and lots of story and character stuff to do? It would be great to see something like that and would have me really looking forward to the game.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
But BG does have at least have good story and characters right?
Some extremely memorable characters and a great story for sure.

Arcanum is ok, but I don't remember anyone from there literally. I don't remember its story either (just some bits and pieces), even though I played through it twice.

So the EE for BG2 has very minimal to no changes then?
They added some cringe worthy NPCs, I'd avoid those like a plague.
Other than that, any changes that they made were basically incorporating mods that everyone played with anyway, as far as I know. Some rebalancing stuff, it's all good.

If you want to avoid those NPCs, here's their names, just pass them by, don't talk to them:
Dorn, Hexxat, Neera, Rasaad, Wilson

Lhynn

Arcane
All of it is fine, id advice you start with geneforge 1, then move to bg 1, then go to geneforge 2, then move to arcanum, then go to geneforge 3, then move to nwn 1 HotU, then go to geneforge 4, then move on to other nwn1 mods, then go to geneforge 5, then move to nwn2 MotB.

Put BG2 wherever, its always good and replayable.

Last edited:

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
OG Baldur's Gate with Tutu or similar mod. Then MM1&6 (these are two of my all time favorites), esp. since 6 had a strange amalgam of RT and TB. (Not quite RTwP, as actions will be carried out in TB mode w/o switching to RT mode.) Then go to Wasteland and Wizardry.

deranged

Cipher
If you are (were) into D&D play BG2. It's a wet dream for D&D nerds. It gets easier to cheese the more you progress, but you'll have the chance to experience the progression of a 7th level party up to godhood (including ToB) playing through a D&D theme-park. Pirates, vampires, drow, dragons, demons... BG2 EE introduces 4 (5?) new moronic companions, which are best left untouched, but provides a much informative UI, widescreen support and zoom in capability.

Personally I'd choose neither and rather play Mask of the Betrayer, which is probably the best CRPG D&D adaptation to date (minus the clusterfuck combat).

Mustawd

Fucking decline of BG recommendations :negative:

OP, play Arcanum. At least it has a turn-based mode.

Shilandra

Learned
But BG does have at least have good story and characters right?
Some extremely memorable characters and a great story for sure.

Arcanum is ok, but I don't remember anyone from there literally. I don't remember its story either (just some bits and pieces), even though I played through it twice.

So the EE for BG2 has very minimal to no changes then?
They added some cringe worthy NPCs, I'd avoid those like a plague.
Other than that, any changes that they made were basically incorporating mods that everyone played with anyway, as far as I know. Some rebalancing stuff, it's all good.

If you want to avoid those NPCs, here's their names, just pass them by, don't talk to them:
Dorn, Hexxat, Neera, Rasaad, Wilson

Thanks for the heads up!

If you are (were) into D&D play BG2. It's a wet dream for D&D nerds. It gets easier to cheese the more you progress, but you'll have the chance to experience the progression of a 7th level party up to godhood (including ToB) playing through a D&D theme-park. Pirates, vampires, drow, dragons, demons... BG2 EE introduces 4 (5?) new moronic companions, which are best left untouched, but provides a much informative UI, widescreen support and zoom in capability.

Personally I'd choose neither and rather play Mask of the Betrayer, which is probably the best CRPG D&D adaptation to date (minus the clusterfuck combat).

I actually do really like DnD, mostly as a setting. Planescape made me truly fall in love with the setting though, especially anything having to do with the planes and the general cosmology of the DnD universe. I'd be fine if it didn't have much to do with the planes themselves and was more of a general DnD setting but if what you said is anything to go by there should be plenty there for me to love.

Funnily enough I tried playing Neverwinter nights 2 but I felt like I should play the original campaign before MOTB and I never was able to get into it. Should I give MOTB a try after BG2 instead of trying to go through the original campaign?

Shilandra

Learned
Fucking decline of BG recommendations :negative:

OP, play Arcanum. At least it has a turn-based mode.

Arcanum has a turn-based mode? So its both RTwP and turn based at the same time? Really? Thats amazing.

Shouldn't that be a standard feature in every crpg then? Seems like then everyone would always be happy because then they could pick the combat system that suits them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom