Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Which goodnight android game?

Lately I've been fighting my insomnia with this trick: I play something on my phone. Nothing action oriented, just skinner boxes like Dokkan Battle, Naruto Blazing and Logres. They've been working pretty well but I already grew bored of the former two and the latter is becoming annoying.
Do you have any suggestion? I'm fine with gashas and stuff, I'm actually looking for something along these lines because, theoretically, they offer the longest term goals and I need something sort of repetitive and relaxing. Not Fire Emblem Heroes because it's too limited and I found out there was huge disparity in power between starting heroes, like one godlike and the others are crap.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
This is what the Codex has become: Bad Bed Gamers

Can't wait for mobile Skyrim... the ultimate sleeping pill

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
A good cure for the insomnia would probably be letting go of the phone and just going straight to bed.

I'd second emulators if you have an Android. If not, maybe regular phone games like Gurk III (Ultima 3 clone), Undercroft (FP Dungeon Crawler), Sorcerer (Wizardry-like), Warhammer Quest (Almost like Hero Quest but not), Wayward Souls, Silversword (Bard's Tale), Nameless or Hoplite (Puzzle Roguelike) could do the trick. Warhammer Quest, Wayward Souls and the Sorcerer series would probably be the biggest timesinks. Strategy games could work well too, like OpenPanzer.

EDIT: I forgot an easy one, The Quest. Huge game loads of expansions, simple combat for those late nights.

Last edited:

Siveon

Bot
Sorcerer (Wizardry-like)
What is this Sorcerer you speak of?

I assume it's not Sorcery, because that's a gamebook.
Nope, Sorcerer.
001.png

003.png
6 Wireframe Wizardry-likes (in English), for the iPhone. Made by presumably one insane Japanese man. They don't actually evolve as the series did (I checked 4, no Werdna campaign) but they're essentially 6 map packs for Wizardry 1. They work rather well, although I never get far because mapping on the phone sounds like a hassle. They're all completely free at least.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Banner Saga.

Those epic loading screens when you go to the Heroes view, combined with walls of text and tedious walking, is enough to put anyone to sleep.

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
You can play the whole "Lone Wolf" series of gamebooks for free on android, if you're not against walls of text it should keep you entertained for a while.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
staring at a led screen is counterproductive to falling asleep.
read something instead.

Deathsquid

Learned
staring at a led screen is counterproductive to falling asleep.
read something instead.
I will absolutely second this sentiment. Mobile phone screen light (and gaming activity as well) will actually keep you up way longer. In fact just keeping the damn thing close to you is somewhat likely to worsen your sleeping patterns, go figure.

My sleeping pattern is absolutely atrocious, but if I have a mobile around and use it to "fall asleep" I can just write off the whole night to insomnia.

Read a book. Something very average, like a pulp fiction detective novel, or whatever else that's easy to pick up, put down, and forget.

Deathsquid

Learned
You are a one fucked up individual then.

I saw a friend play some Star Wars free to play RPG thing on her phone though, seemed pretty repetitive.

tell me something i don't already know now.

I saw a friend play some Star Wars free to play RPG thing on her phone though, seemed pretty repetitive.
ugh, that's terrible.
i started the thread hoping for some obscure, less known name, not for the latest lootboxtravaganza kids waste their parents' money on.

Deathsquid

Learned
i started the thread hoping for some obscure, less known name, not for the latest lootboxtravaganza kids waste their parents' money on.
Well, this isn't particularly obscure in context of the Codex, but NEO Scavenger is available on mobile these days, with a free demo. Although I tried it and honestly the interface/text are a pain in the ass to navigate, you are perhaps more likely to wake up due to rage and strain your eyes with excessive squinting instead.

Well, and Open Transport Tycoon Deluxe has a mobile build. Not sure how that runs though, never tried. TT is delightfully relaxing though.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
For reading on mobile phone use "Screen Filter" or similar Apps to reduce LED light below minimum levels. Really helps.

Origin

Augur
I'm not sure if it's usable for sleep aid, but you shouldn't skip this gem on android:

Waking Mars

I just found out it's also available on Steam.

Also, if you're into text adventures, they've been making sort of a comeback on handheld devices:

Lifeline (and sequels)

If you're into Sci-Fi and mystery, it could really be a good pick before going to sleep.

Last edited:

Origin

Augur
For reading on mobile phone use "Screen Filter" or similar Apps to reduce LED light below minimum levels. Really helps.

Yeah, also lots of handheld device vendors started to preload this in official roms.

BG1 & BG2 enchanced versions are ported to Android also, and I can't imagine better conversion tbh.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom