Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which, if any, fights are supposed to be unwinnable?

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I can't tell yo what it looked like at the moment of winning it, but it was the same character I posted in the psychopaths thread. I think at that point I had 8 axe/8 dodge/8 crafting/4 alchemy

Same here; I beat that battle with the character I posted in the psychopaths thread. There's no point to beating it, obviously, although the ending is kind of cool.

I can't think of any unbeatable battles, just very difficult ones. Nothing a little alchemy can't fix, as long as you can survive a round or two.

Here's how my psychopath did the battles mentioned here:

Arena Champion: Coltran's poison (9 dmg a turn) with a spear and dropping fire to separate us when needed. He will cure himself a couple of times, but he only has so much antidote (and the stuff does damage before the antidote is applied, anyway). Not a great strategy, I admit, but I won it without reloading. I brought some antidote of my own because he uses poison, too.

Zamedi Stone Guardian: Dropped fire to hurt block him from reaching me. Then I stabbed him with a sky metal dori until he died.

Thor Agathoth: Wore extremely heavy DR armour and a hemostasis potion, drank +6 AP neurostim (I had like 12 of them by game end, such a waste), and then lit the world on fire. Just bring about 10 strong fire potions, and use the fire to make the god stand next to you (then he won't poison or mind attack you anymore).

Aurelian Goons: I don't entirely remember; I think I went first and poisoned some of them with my dori. When the swordsmen ran up, I dropped 2x fire to make them back off. I think that was about it, really.

Monastery Bridge Fight: I initially pushed the leader off the cliff, but soon discovered that doesn't work well. The archers at the beginning of the camp are too lethal for a dodger. So I walked up to the longbow wielding guy and started combat manually. First turn, neurostim and berserker, then stabbed him twice with a poisoned unique trident (the one from the arena guy). The archer dies immediately, and then you can run behind the tents and fight a slow retreat using fire and a poison hasta until you wipe out their melee guys.

They throw a lot of nets, so don't be afraid to drop fire. Switch to Hasta when they begin to close in, because it will free up your hand for alchemy and feint. The Ordu guy with the compound bow won't hurt you too much if you wear at least a lorica musculata and keep your distance by the tents. In fact, he'll probably help you by hitting his friends with an arrow or two; at most he hit me for 2 damage a turn. If he gets close, charge him and make sure he goes down as quickly as possible. Never go near the leader, he has a steel axe and high axe skill. There is a third archer near the leader, but she can't shoot straight and runs out of arrows relatively quickly.

Never forget you have feint with a single handed weapon. It is a huge help when fighting multiple opponents; 2 AP and it will move you a space and make everyone else run around trying to catch you. With a spear you'll get a few free jabs and poisonings, too. You can feint someone to get the perfect spot to drop fire or a bomb, feint someone to hide from a strong but poisoned opponent, etc. It has a high THC, too. If you trap yourself in with two fire potions, you can also use feint to escape if a person is standing diagonal from you. My favourite use of feint is still the indoor fight against serenas and his guards. Feint used to knock people over on crit, and I remember running all around the house throwing people over and stabbing them. With the single tile doorways, it was the ultimate defensive move and gave free shots galore.

Last edited:

Mozg

Arcane
Something I just learned: Dodgers get the vsRanged bonus from holding a tower shield, even though they're still dodging. If you're wearing some armor with ~15 armor penalty and using a one handed weapon, the only downside is the aim penalty. I think you get the vsCrit too (and if that's all you want, you can hold a reinforced buckler).

I put it on in the Ordu arena fight on a 10 AP dodger wearing some 19 armor penalty segmentata and the bowman went from hitting at least a shot per turn to missing all of them.

I think that makes it so the only reason to use blocking is the ~15 point overall skill advantage for most characters.

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
I just made Arena Champion eat the sand again in 2 turns.

PQ2BXem.jpg

9RhARmm.jpg

Equipment: 1 bolas, both potions Imperial Guards gave me in Teron (+ap and +dmg), 1 self-made poison, trusty sarmatian bow and sjw feminist angry sarkisian mantra

Actions:
- Drink both potions and take a step back. end turn.
- Throw bolas to the head
- Draw your trusty amazon bow and arterial strike the faggot. scream about male privilege for +50% extra crit chance.

Even if guy survives archer ability would probably kick in, hampering his movement to 2 tiles per turn (he doesn't seem to heal from that crit effect)

I think fully developed archer can just permanently keep anyone with Short Bow slow-downed.

02e37f9c6538fbe2afc49df9fe8ad3ca.jpg
master race.
need a horse pls. offer alanian kingdom (de jure)

Last edited:

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
The one at Harran's Pass got much more difficult, but it's easier to escape it (which is the main objective). I made almost as hard as could be done without cheating nor giving them unrealistic stats.

Mozg

Arcane
Has anyone managed to kill all the raiders in Aemolas village whilst still in the early game? I was only able to do it after going to Maadoran to improve my skills and equipment then going back to complete the quest.

You can cheese by backing into a 1-tile gap in the inner part of the village to fight one dude at a time and keep the archers from being able to shoot at you. If you do it as one of the last things in Teron after you've pumped up your defense skill and use poison/a sharpening stone with a pure combat character with zero frills it's doable.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
With a blocker you definitely don't want to get surrounded because you can get hit with a sword bleed on any non-perfect block, and every enemy but the velites has a sword on that map. Throwing weapons may also get a chance to penetrate a non-perfect block, not sure how that works. I had to cheese it by running to the building in the middle of the map to use the door as a choke point, plus wear a tower shield so the danger of that one archer/thrower finding an angle to hit you could be minimized. Also guzzled neurostim and berserk potion to shorten the fight enough so bleed attrition didn't kill.

Yeah, different strategies for different builds. 2H sharpened weapon + high STR means one whirlwind takes a big chunk out of everyone around you which softens them enough that they usually die to counterattacks after that. I've just beat the pass with a 2H sword build as well with 7 sword 10 dodge 8 crafting (I transferred 2 points from CON into INT this time around):

screenshot_005_00001.jpg

screenshot_005_00003.jpg

screenshot_005_00004.jpg

screenshot_005_00006.jpg

screenshot_005_00008.jpg

I prefer axes in release version (+30% damage passive is just too good), bleeding effect is nice I guess but you might as well use poison if you're going down that route. 10 STR felt like a waste in this build, it just doesn't synergize well with swords (especially scimitar because it's two-handed, harder to take advantage from bleeding). I remember when sword's skill passive was increasing the chance of a critical hit in Beta, one whirlwind would knock out everyone around you, good times. Scimitar does look cool as hell though.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Has anyone managed to kill all the raiders in Aemolas village whilst still in the early game? I was only able to do it after going to Maadoran to improve my skills and equipment then going back to complete the quest.

Yeah, but I had to use iron Imperial armor (can buy it in barracks) even as a dodge build and a sharpening stone at level 4 crafting.

panda

Savant
I failed with my first spearman, so can't give advice how to beat them with melee characters, but it was surprisingly easy if you use :obviously: way with crossbow and alchemy. This combo is just too good considering you can have minimal STR without any major downsides.

Fire wall, while being powerful by itself, becomes "i win" button with ranged weapons. After you kill archers(dude in Aemolas village needs 2 shots + some poison ticks AFAIR) it turns most encounters into a free target practice.
Plus general benefit for ranged from a "feature" that both poison and special effects(x-bow's knockdown) can be applied even if hit don't bypass armor and delivers 0 damage. Mere alchemy 4 means that a single shot usually makes 12-15 dmg or around 30% of one's HP from poison alone.

Shadenuat

Arcane
You can cheese by backing into a 1-tile gap in the inner part of the village to fight one dude at a time and keep the archers from being able to shoot at you.
There may rise a problem of AI shooting you through solid objects tho.

Like ppl said liquid fire and ranged weapons works wonders there.
( http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...icks-and-spoilers.104032/page-19#post-4189241 )

panda

Savant
:salute:
Man is a Tool-using Animal; weak in himself, and of small stature, he stands on a basis, at most for the flattest-soled, of some half-square foot, insecurely enough; has to straddle out his legs, lest the very wind supplant him. Feeblest of bipeds! Three quintals are a crushing load to him; the steer of the meadow tosses him aloft, like a waste rag. Nevertheless he can use tools, can devise tools; with these the granite mountain melts into light dust before him; he kneads glowing iron, as if it were soft paste; seas are his smooth highway, winds and fire his unwearying steeds. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all.

Quite interesting quote in the context of the game's background btw.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Anyone played an assassin and managed to fight their way out of the palace in Maadoran? You usually get a critical strike check with 2 guards after killing Darista/Gaelius.If you succeed, you get to leave Maadoran kind of peacefully, hiding out for a couple of days before leaving for Ganezzar. If you fail that critical strike check however (its actually 2, one per guard with the 2nd one being higher than the first) you will have to fight your way out of the palace which involes something like 10 or 12 guards, each armed with melee weapons/shields aswell as crossbows. I got killed in like 3 turns, not sure if this one works like Harrans Pass where you just need to get to the exit.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
So Antidas fight...

Mercenary 10-7-8-7-4-4 with 6/6 Hammer/Block + 3Critical (for check), had poisoned hammer the whole fight. Tried going both sides... squad does nothing and enemy always outnumbers soonish. Then leveled Critical and went for "almost" check. Not sure how to win without.

Won by having lucky dmg rolls against me, killed Antidas with AoO and then run away from Dellar and other dude long enough for my squad to kill/outnumber the rest. Then somehow managed to escape Dellar and let him fight others. Was hiding with 7 HP for the rest of the fight.
...Next fight: naked vs. 2 Dudes :negative:

Do i have to run away and reload until good rolls to win at combat? Is this the strategy?

Mozg

Arcane
^Weird, I never had any trouble with that fight. What are you equipping?

There may rise a problem of AI shooting you through solid objects tho.

I never really noticed that happening anywhere but the Maad slums.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
^Weird, I never had any trouble with that fight. What are you equipping?
Crafted Ardu armor + iron crafted 5AP hammer + cavalry shield. Equipment seems pretty fine. 9AP / 50HP.

First thing i did was moving to my Axe guy (the only one who does some damage) and standing between 2 Daratan guards. Poison both, kill the one axe-man is hitting, then the other, then move on Dellar...

That takes long, if normal/unlucky Antidas knocks down axe-guy with arrow. Both Antidas spearmen are ALWAYS in good shape towards middle-end. And my guys on the other flank are a joke - they fight 3on2 and don't manage to secure the flank/survive.

Like i said, won by drawing A LOT of attention to me by starting on Antidas, killing him then shoving guys away from me to run/survive.

But that sounds pretty hardcore. It's like a level of dificculty where you bet on one thing and hope and pray. Sure, people probably win this fight, but by reloading or having a good hit here and there. The difficulty seem to depend on RNG - 1-2 crits on your side and it looks good. One crit on you - reload.

Edit: probably requires more weapon/block to consistenly hit with special attacks. I was naive to invest some points into Crafting (4), Alchemy (2) and a bit streetwise.

Mozg

Arcane
I dunno if you are drawing excessive attention to yourself somehow? I generally got through that fight by just killing dudes that are distracted attacking others and sometimes no one would ever even take a swing at me . Ordu armor has a huge armor penalty so they might be like awww fuck yea I can hit% the shit out of this dude I am not even gonna bother attacking anyone else

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So Antidas fight...

...Next fight: naked vs. 2 Dudes :negative:

Do i have to run away and reload until good rolls to win at combat? Is this the strategy?

No, the only time you have to reload for good rolls is when you are (a) using a weak talker/hybrid in combat and/or (b) unwilling to use the nuclear option and bathe the battlefield in fire/acid/poison/explosives. It's pretty rare for me to reload a battle constantly; I only spend a lot of time doing that if I'm trying multiple different tactics, rather than trying to game the RNG.

As for the naked fight, it's supposed to be easier now. In the beta I recall you just had a dagger and no shield, even if you were a blocker. Has it been changed to give you a buckler and/or your own choice of weapon?

Mozg

Arcane
That's only if you surrender to Gaelian and basically plead guilty and ask for "trial by combat". That's a fight vs. 3-4 chumps and they give you a weapon/buckler of your choice and no shit a 4AP eagle eye neurostim potion.

The one where you escape with a dagger is still just with a dagger but my non-dagger blocker still didn't have any trouble.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
I dunno if you are drawing excessive attention to yourself somehow? I generally got through that fight by just killing dudes that are distracted attacking others and sometimes no one would ever even take a swing at me . Ordu armor has a huge armor penalty so they might be like awww fuck yea I can hit% the shit out of this dude I am not even gonna bother attacking anyone else
I was doing fine, but squad just dies in next 4-5 turns. We are outnumbered and my guys suck - low/no damage.
So i can't just roll with it like in thief missions, where my guys sort stuff out.

No, the only time you have to reload for good rolls is when you are (a) using a weak talker/hybrid in combat and/or (b) unwilling to use the nuclear option and bathe the battlefield in fire/acid/poison/explosives. It's pretty rare for me to reload a battle constantly; I only spend a lot of time doing that if I'm trying multiple different tactics, rather than trying to game the RNG.

As for the naked fight, it's supposed to be easier now. In the beta I recall you just had a dagger and no shield, even if you were a blocker. Has it been changed to give you a buckler and/or your own choice of weapon?
Nope, just naked and dagger.

And my stats are not that bad, maybe not "pure". Okay i did not brought liquid fire with me, so what? Should everyone bring nukes to fights? The point is that the fight is balanced "hard on edge". Must have good stats and a bit of luck or bring "helper" items = nukes.

Mozg

Arcane
If you can't win the dagger escape method do the "trial by combat" (I think this is supposed to be Gaelian intentionally letting you escape punishment because he doesn't actually want to punish a guard for fucking up Daratan, it's just that he has to do something to maintain noble authority).

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
I was doing fine, but squad just dies in next 4-5 turns. We are outnumbered and my guys suck - low/no damage.
So i can't just roll with it like in thief missions, where my guys sort stuff out.

Nope, just naked and dagger.

And my stats are not that bad, maybe not "pure". Okay i did not brought liquid fire with me, so what? Should everyone bring nukes to fights? The point is that the fight is balanced "hard on edge". Must have good stats and a bit of luck or bring "helper" items = nukes.

Well, yes, you should bring some fire and bombs to every fight. Maybe not a lot of them, and you don't need to make them yourself, but a little bit of fire is always helpful in a pinch. You already have the right idea with poison.

Anyway, I never really found the Antidas battle that difficult. Yes, it's a tough fight if you perform poorly with the IG, but it's doable without any special tricks if you are a pure fighter. If you're not a pure fighter, then yes, you need to use some tricks like poison, fire, well crafted weapons, etc. Alternatively, be a better guardsman and Carrinas will send you with better bodyguards, and you can get a neurostimulant that you can use to CS check Antidas in dialogue before the battle begins.

Mozg

Arcane
Ah, you can have shittier allies in that fight depending on how you did the questline? That must be it, because I had the impression I barely had to contribute for my side to win that fight.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom