Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which, if any, fights are supposed to be unwinnable?

Lord Andre

Arcane
Don't pull the "it makes sense card". It makes sense to get ambushed , it doesn't makes sense that Levir had 5 guys on his payroll that all rival the arena champion in stats. (yes I'm butthurt).

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
I like the difficulty.

Don't cross the mob and then walk on their turf if you want to live unless you are the hardest motherfucker in the world.

Except the mooks protecting said mob's treasure and the ones serving as Levir's bodyguards at the machine are pushovers in comparison. It could make sense if they're some expensive outside mercenary group Levir hired to stop you from interfering with his business, not a part of his crew.

kryminator

Augur
What I have to do or what should not be done to encounter that ambush? My assassin cleared the Slums, then did 1st Maadoran AG quest and still is not able to be ambushed when he walks to the Slums.

hivemind

the fight difficulty being slightly overblown from a setting perspective might very well just be an abstraction of the fact that if Levir really wanted you dead you would most likely not be given a fair and square ambush fight but would wake up with a crossbow bolt in the back of your neck or shanked by a beggar when you least expect it or given a drive by equivalent of a few punk ass kids given a dozen balckpowder bombs to throw at you and run away aka things that would be even more frustrating and 'unfair'

It also adds depth to the game. If you can't handle this fight either don't cross the Guild or never show your face in the Slums again.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
This fight was already mentioned a page before - i was also extremely butthurt. Toughest fight hands down. And yes - being knocked down while netted is reload time.
My strategy was to move to the carts, shove the guy there behind them, pass through and block the passage behind me with liquid fire.
The way to this state is doable, but only by keeping your fingers crossed, that the two-hander guy does not get a good swing at you and crossbowmen don't hit (too) hard.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
Dude, alchemy 10 + power armor + canister and you can kill him in the first turn with a little luck.

Also, anyone going melee needs eagle eye to be really effective, even at skill 10 + dreamweaver.
Not everyone has Alchemy 10 and i fought the non-weakened form.
But i had not much trouble meleeing him, when weakened. Didn't use power armor the whole game. 8 DR was too bad for me and my lore sucked to activate 4th mode (care to spoil what it gives?).

Tigranes

Arcane
My dagger/dodge guy beat the slums fight this way:

Turn 1 - neurostimulant, rush up to the hammer guy, feint him to get on the other side of the bottleneck
Turn 2 - fire vial the hole, and then start beating up on one of the xbows
Turn 3 - kill the xbow A (if lucky, helped by xbow B shooting you, and then you dodge and the bolt hits xbow A in friendly fire)
Then kill xbow B and if you're good, make it to the chokepoint in time to hold it. If not, take another vial.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012

Turn 1 - neurostimulant, rush up to the hammer guy, feint him to get on the other side of the bottleneck
Turn 3 - kill the xbow A (if lucky, helped by xbow B shooting you, and then you dodge and the bolt hits xbow A in friendly fire)
Then kill xbow B and if you're good, make it to the chokepoint in time to hold it. If not, take another vial.
Feint is indeed perfect for this. I also was only able to beat this by holding the choke point. But had to push the hammer guy with me on the other side (with blocker/sword char).

I did something like that, althrough my plans went a little different because I have no feint with hasta, so I just shield-bashed the hammer guy to the other side, then kept throwing liquid fire at the hole. By the end it was just me with 11 HP and a guy with a sword, which I beat by kiting and bombing to hell until I ran out of bombs, then I beat him 1v1 in a short but desperate struggle.

Also spear might be the best weapon to fight crossbowfags, because they want to get out of close-quarters so they get a AoO in their rear for their trouble, and lots of damage for their shitty armor, and most archers/crossbow suck at dodging.

DAMN winning this fight felt good. Delicious dopamine infusion, it felt EPIC!

Gear: Blue Steel Imperial Armor (10 craft so ALL enhancements - thanks, Al Sahir!), Tower Shield, 7 Spear/7 Block, Imperial Guard so I got some nice training.

Saduj

Arcane
The slums ambush is tough but the thieves definitely don't have crazy stats/gear. I found it impossible at first so I moved on and finished Ganezzar. Came back later after I reached 10 crafting and barely took any damage at all. Maxed out cavalry shield + blue steel imperial armor + meteor spiked club = roflstomp.

Tigranes

Arcane
The thing about daggers is that unless you're heavily out-gunned Attack/Defence Rating wise, all you have to do is keep things 1v1 and you are perfectly safe. E.g. 12 AP & Arbitrator = 4 Aimed: Arm attacks every turn = with a decent dodge that means the guy will never hit you, so as long as you can ensure in some way you're taking them one at a time you have a curious kind of safety.

Stompa

Arcane
Arbiter isn't the best choice for debuffing though, since it's a 3AP dagger and does only a -5 to stat for -20 in total. 4AP daggers can achieve -30 with the same 12 AP available.

Tigranes

Arcane
It depends. Personally I like to use the Arbitrator if my THC is low against a dodge character, for example, because all that matters is a steady stream of debuffs each turn (each debuff lasts 3 turns, so if you hit twice a turn, that's at least -20 or more at any given time). In other cases, of course, as you say 4AP daggers win out.

Western

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Arbiter isn't the best choice for debuffing though, since it's a 3AP dagger and does only a -5 to stat for -20 in total. 4AP daggers can achieve -30 with the same 12 AP available.

It works better in a dagger crit build, since you'll be getting the higher debuff via crit as well as the extra effect.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane

Daggers aren't about base debuff or damage, they're about critical effects (lowering enemy's physical stats, causing bleeding etc. doesn't matter if it's only -10 accuracy when it also saps his STR which lowers his damage, potentially THC and block defense) and in that sense Arbiter is excellent because it allows your aimed attacks to connect all the time.

Of course where crafted daggers (either made by you or some found on the enemies) handily beat it are the higher critical chance thanks to +CS and +Passive bonuses (masterwork and serrated edge) which can make a big difference against for example heavy armored guys you'll use aimed torso attacks against. Still, against Agatoth Arbiter is the best thanks to the tremendous THC boost it provides as you can stack up bleeding real quick with Arterial strikes (base damage is irrelevant because he has no helm DR).

On the whole, not sure how it stacks against say Axes in terms of power/efficiency but for me Daggers are by far the most fun weapon group to play around with, in terms of gameplay they're the best IMO.

oscar

Arcane
The ambush is interesting because they have pretty cruddy equipment but excellent stats. Even my two-handed dodger who steamrolled 9/10 fights in the game had a bit of trouble with it and I came back later.

Tigranes

Arcane
Axes are boring as fuck because you just swing fast attacks and hit everyone past their DR, or alternatively walk into everyone and whirlwind. I'm finding going high attack, low defense with Dagger, or using things like Spear, are more interesting.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Necro time!
Other than the assassin ambush (doable but it takes a big bite out of my potions and nets) I fould all fights to be doable, even the IG ambush traveling seemed a bit overpowered at the start but with the Former Arena Champion Armor and the musical chairs dance (whirlwind when surrounded, swipe places, hit the guy you just swiped in the arms, whirwind again when surrounded and let bleed and poison do their thing) I always felt I could take on anybody with my assassin build,

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom