Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which joystick should I buy?

potatojohn

Arcane
I've been thinking about playing some flight/combat sims, so I require a joystick.

Currently I'm considering

- logitech 3d pro extreme (cheap, boring)

- saitek cyborg x (cheap, faggy looking, but compact)

- saitek x52 (big and expensive, but includes throttle and shitloads of functions)

or something else?

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
Well if you're going to be playing DCS A-10C Warthog, then the best thing available is the Warthog Hotas by Thustmaster. It's a fully functional replica of the HOTAS setup on the A-10C, and the sim is configured to automatically recognize the HOTAS setup and configure binds accordingly.

If that's too expensive, I highly recommend the Saitek AV8R. I've been using it for the last 18 months and haven't had any reliability issues -- a major problem with logitech joysticks -- plus the dual throttle and built in switch panel are both very nice. The joystick is only $40 too. Apparently they stopped manufacturing it within the last few months, so you might have to look around a bit, but it's well worth it.

Also, if you don't have TrackIR, I highly, highly recommend it. It really is as essential to modern flight simming as a joystick is.

Morkar Left

Saitek Cyborg Evo. I use the Force Feedback version for years. It's not as cool and big as the x52 but it provides you with everything you need. Plus lefthanders can use it equally good and you can fit the stick to your hand measurements.

On a random sidenote:
Just stumbled about this thing. The price is insane. It's 50 € and I bought it two years ago for 20 € (new).

Quilty

Magister
Hotas Warthog + TrackIR = heavan

Of course, if this is your first time getting into flying you may discover that you don't like flight sims after all (seen it happen on sim forums, much butthurt was had), so this would be wasted money. Start small and if you enjoy it, spend more on an upgrade.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
A USB 360 controller. Joysticks are irrelevant these days, but having a 360 controller helps play a lot of games on PC whose controls just work better with a pad (things like racing games, for example).

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
Yeah, I would not recommend Logitech sticks for reliability reasons. If you're fine with buying a new one every 6-12 months, then go for it, but otherwise steer clear. And KC's recommendation might work for space sims, and maybe IL-2 Sturmovik, but honestly, you're going to want an actual joystick for anything more simmy than that.

potatojohn

Arcane
I might go with the cyborg evo then. Don't need a joystick for space sims; I play IW1 and 2 just fine with a keyboard. I was actually surprised how easy they were since everyone said a joystick is necessary.

The only problem are flight sims where the atmosphere tends to cause airplanes to pitch or roll constantly, requiring me to tap the direction buttons all the time to correct it, which is kind of doable but very tedious.

Morkar Left

I might go with the cyborg evo then. Don't need a joystick for space sims; I play IW1 and 2 just fine with a keyboard. I was actually surprised how easy they were since everyone said a joystick is necessary.

The only problem are flight sims where the atmosphere tends to cause airplanes to pitch or roll constantly, requiring me to tap the direction buttons all the time to correct it, which is kind of doable but very tedious.

Cyborg Evo is a good choice. Especially I-War 2 is excellent to play with that stick. But when your sole purpose is playing die-hard serious business sims you should think about getting one with a separate throttle for maximum enjoyment. But no need to get something like that as a starter when you don't know how much time you will spend on sims.

For Elite Frontier I recommend this thing I mentioned above in combination with a mouse. It allows you to programm the thrusters and all other important keys in a convinient configuration on it. Really improved FFE for me.

Syril

Liturgist
Queued
If you can find it (probably will be cheap)

phpq4MapI.jpg

Cyborg 3d gold, i have it 9 years, still works like the first day i bought it.

Syril

Liturgist
Queued
If you can find it (probably will be cheap)

phpq4MapI.jpg

Cyborg 3d gold, i have it 9 years, still works like the first day i bought it.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I've been thinking about playing some flight/combat sims, so I require a joystick.

Currently I'm considering

- logitech 3d pro extreme (cheap, boring)

- saitek cyborg x (cheap, faggy looking, but compact)

- saitek x52 (big and expensive, but includes throttle and shitloads of functions)

or something else?
If you can afford it, go with x52. If you run it on Windows you can map so many keys on it that you don't have to touch keyboard.

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
That's a great deal for Cliffs of Dover. Just make sure you have a fairly beefy video card, because performance in that game is GPU dependent. The initial release was a disaster, but they've really come a long way with the updates -- check the official 1C forums for the latest patch.

titus

Arcane
Patron
Look for CH Products. Old school, solid controllers. I have a Fighterstick and it's great. I wish it would have more axis wheels though, but you can always buy the throttle quadrant as well.

potatojohn

Arcane
UPDATED MY JOURNAL

So I got a saitek cyborg fly 5 or whatever the fuck and it's a really janky piece of shit. Unstable, creaky plastic with a too hard spring that makes small adjustments impossible. I have to hold it down hard with the other hand so it doesn't tip over when pitching ugh.

I am disappointed. I guess I should've gone for the x52 or something.

Morkar Left

with a too hard spring that makes small adjustments impossible. I have to hold it down hard with the other hand so it doesn't tip over when pitching ugh.

It doesn't look to different from an Evo and I have a hard time to believe that the spring is too hard, more the opposite.
Have you calibrate it properly?

potatojohn

Arcane
Out of curiosity, which games are you playing with your joystick?

I tried it in I-War 2 and DCS: A-10.

In I-War 2 it was useless. It's just better/faster to fly with a keyboard. In DCS it was a bit better but I guess DCS is just a pain without head tracking.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Are there any decent wireless joysticks around ? been thinking of setting up a MAME arcade box linked with hdmi to the TV, controlled wireless (bluetooth ?)

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
In DCS it was a bit better but I guess DCS is just a pain without head tracking.

Head tracking makes a huge difference. The pilot workload is very high in the A-10, so if you have to be switching between mouse look mode and mouse interaction mode all the time, and take your hands off the stick to do anything, then you quickly get overwhelmed. With proper hardware though, flying the A-10 is much easier and very satisfying.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Head tracking makes a huge difference. The pilot workload is very high in the A-10, so if you have to be switching between mouse look mode and mouse interaction mode all the time, and take your hands off the stick to do anything, then you quickly get overwhelmed. With proper hardware though, flying the A-10 is much easier and very satisfying.
What is a headtracker?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom