Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which Mount & Blade to buy?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Hey, looking for a game that at least slightly reminds me of Darklands. But there are a few different versions of M&B on Steam. Which one would be the "correct" one to get?

I am not interested in playing stand-alone expansions too much; I am just looking for the most RPG-y, Darklands-y version I can buy. What would you recommend?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Thank you guys.
Can some other people chime in on how good that mod pack is? I don't usually like mods but if most of you are very satisfied with it I'll definitely try the game with it first before I try vanilla.

Just looking for the most Darklands-ish experience. (Yes, I realize the games are different. In fact M&B seems really close to Conqueror A. D. 1086, but I liked that game too.)

Duckard

Augur
Get Warband and grab a good mod (Europe something something, Brytenwalda, or Prophesy of Pendor) and have fun. Not all that much like Darklands, though Warband is the closest.

oscar

Arcane
Prophesy of Pendor was p. cool.

What's that new Napoleonic one like? Not too sure how it would work with musket accuracy being so random.

Multi-headed Cow

Even though everyone else is voting for it, Warband.

Original is only worth it for mods, some of which haven't been ported to Warband.
Fire and Sword is kind of a spinoff and not all that hot. Probably only worth it if you go completely Mount and Blade crazy. Not as much fun when peasants can one shot you with a gun, instead of wearing plate armor and using a greatsword and slaughtering hundreds yourself as your character turns completely red with blood.

Morkar Left

Warband. Use some mod that has the diplomacy mod/submod in it. Don't expect roleplaying besides leveling up and choosing a faction. It COULD be like a modern Darklands version, unfortunately it's not. You will have a lot of fun till the unbeatable evergrind will tear you down.

Captain Shrek

Warband. The original only if you want to play the LOTR mods. Don't buy Napoleonic wars. Don’t even FUCKING CONSIDER buying fire and sword.

Gord

Arcane
Keep in mind that Warband has been updated recently, but a lot of mods weren't so far.
If you buy it on Steam this might mean that you can't play them (yet).

Edit: You can use the serial from Steam to activate the version you can d/l from Taleworlds, and they offer the older versions, too.

Emily

Arcane
Warband VANILA is the best for the first time. mods are ok, but the core game is superb. And much more balanced also.

Zeus

Cipher
Even though everyone says Warband (and they're probably right, I really haven't given it a chance), I'm still partial to the original vanilla Mount & Blade.

While it's common for people to say Warband is "the same as Mount & Blade, only better," this isn't true: M&B and Warband have completely different maps. Obviously, this means things like trade routes are different. It's sort of a Wrestlemania 2000/No Mercy issue, where Warband inarguably has more features, but changed some of the things for the worse.

If you can, get a M&B Complete Pack. GamersGate usually has it for under $8. Then you can try Mount & Blade and M&B:Warband and see which you prefer.

Just stay away from those silly M&B With Guns 'sequels.' You're better off with a user mod or something.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Don't even think about installing Prophecy of Pendor until you're familiar with the game play. Pendor is fucking brutal, brutal, BRUTAL. On the one hand the challenge and varying degree of enemy difficulty is nice, on the other it can turn the game into an extreme grind as you amass enough power/leadership to actually do stuff.

Gregz

Arcane
Even though everyone says Warband (and they're probably right, I really haven't given it a chance), I'm still partial to the original vanilla Mount & Blade.

While it's common for people to say Warband is "the same as Mount & Blade, only better," this isn't true: M&B and Warband have completely different maps. Obviously, this means things like trade routes are different. It's sort of a Wrestlemania 2000/No Mercy issue, where Warband inarguably has more features, but changed some of the things for the worse.

You can't become king in M&B, major drawback.

Don't even think about installing Prophecy of Pendor until you're familiar with the game play. Pendor is fucking brutal, brutal, BRUTAL.

This is true, probably better to play M&B:W first, then PoP on the next playthrough. The cRPG mod is fun if you like PvP, but it's quite hard as some players there are very skilled.

Emily

Arcane

If you can, get a M&B Complete Pack. GamersGate usually has it for under $8. Then you can try Mount & Blade and M&B:Warband and see which you prefer.

Just stay away from those silly M&B With Guns 'sequels.' You're better off with a user mod or something.
i cant think not one of the things that are worse in warband then in the original. And i have played both

Zeus

Cipher
When people say Warband is "Mount & Blade, only with more stuff," that's not entirely true. Warband does have new features, but it does not contain everything the original Mount & Blade had.

Here's the original Mount & Blade map:

mJetA.jpg

Here's the Warband map:

ITWTz.jpg

I like the original, because it has features I've grown fond of. I'd always try to capture Jelkala, which was next to a very distinctive mountain peak and a lake. Compare it to Warband's Jelkala, which has been moved to the coastline. There's a lot of coastline in Warband, and not one lake.

o8DnM.jpg
oaRxy.jpg

Which is better? That's not the point. It's subjective. Maybe you like Warband's map better. Maybe you love coastlines and hate lakes. Maybe you are overjoyed at the complete lack of lakes, because ever since you went on a bad date with the Lady of the Lake, you've had nightmares that a woman's hand will emerge from your toilet and cut off your johnson with Excalibur. To each their own.

The point isn't that Mount & Blade is better, it's that Warband doesn't contain everything from the original.

That's why I say wait to buy a complete pack. That way, you get both maps and aren't missing out.

But would someone who haven't played the original care about these differences? I only played the original but from what I've seen Warband doesn't take away anything that would justify waiting for a complete pack to play both and finally decide which one truly deserves my love.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom