Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which Oblivion Dev Lied The Most?

thursdayschild

Educated
OverrideB1 said:
I don't think it's a case of bare-faced lying per ce, more a case of "we're planning to implement all these cool features" and then sort of neglecting to say "oops, you know that cool thing we told you about? Well, it's not going to happen now."
Mr Smiley Faced Dude had to have come from some modder community, and got the job because he could talk a big shit. Everything he ever said was enthusiastic but incredibly dumb or unrealistic and it was clear he had no experience programming whatsoever.

I don't think he intentionally lied but he seemed to think he could do 100x more than he could. Considering how long they worked on oblivion and the resources it had it should have been able to deliver at least half what he promised, but it pretty much failed on every single point.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
lies don't matter anyway when your fanbase will buy your shitty product and will retroactively replace all the bullshit preview memories with nothing but 100% truth about their awesome 300 hour personal larping experience

Lunac

Arcane
This thread might as well be named, "Which Morrowind Dev Lied The Most?"

Remember, Morrowind was supposed to have tons of shit that never made into the game, and tons of shit that made it was not even close to what was talked about. Slavery, nudity, size of the gameworld, etc. Sure, some of it was due to 9/11, since the game release was pushed from late 2001 to early 2002 to, ugh, *cough*, work on some final tweaks. (They sure got patriotic in a hurry and made them "tweaks".) However, it had to do with Bethesda being fuken money grabbing coksuks interested only and ONLY in sales numbers.

With Skyrim however, they have removed any pretension of being developers/publishers for the PC platform so my rage is slowly dissolving into indifference.

baronjohn

Cipher
Morrowind did have slavery. There was even an entire thieves guild quest line about freeing slaves.

Lunac

Arcane
baronjohn said:
Morrowind did have slavery. There was even an entire thieves guild quest line about freeing slaves.

Oh, I know. Like I said in that other post, "tons of shit that made it was not even close to what was talked about". Owning slaves was supposed to a bigger thing in-game than it was. There was all sorts of talk and promises made on the old Morrowind forums. Remember, Dunmer are supposed to be these old-school slavery proponents. Slavery was supposed to be everywhere and very pronounced. All we got was a bone thrown in our direction.

They took the easy way out in Oblivion and just said all that shit was abolished and dedicated their time towards making everything more "realistic", since all that hand-placed scenery takes time, don't you know, doncha?

OP said:
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
You're walking through a seedy part of a town in Western Cyrodiil. People mill about, some engaged in conversation, others minding their own business, out on their own errands. Suddenly, an ugly man decides he doesn't like you. Maybe he's drunk, maybe he's just a bully, maybe he's just showing off in front of his friends -- but for whatever reason, he has taken your measure and decided he can best you.

He comes charging at you, with a nasty looking mace in his hand and a look of hatred on his face. Onlookers move back to make room for what should be an entertaining fight.

Quickly drawing your sword and shield, you wheel around to face him. He's upon you pretty quickly though, and you barely have time to raise your shield (hold right mouse button) before his first blow thunders down upon you.

But you block well, and as he recoils from the collision, you quickly perform left & right slashes with your sword (left click, pause, left click). The bully realizes this isn't going to be easy.

He backs off a bit, and starts dodging around you. First to the left, then to the right. You maneuver to keep him in view, looking for an opening. Suddenly he steps back, raises his mace in both hands, and steps forward, bringing the mace towards your head in a crushing blow!

But you're quick -- you step to the side as he attacks. As he passes by, you execute a spinning maneuver and slash him in the side (hold left mouse button and left maneuver key). The hit is solid, and your foe staggers from the blow.

But it's not over yet. The bully swings his mace wildly -- his first swing misses, but the next one connects for a blow that sends you staggering. Pressing his advantage, the bully bears down on you with a power attack of his own. OUCH. This isn't going well. You take a glance at your health meter, it's getting a bit low. You quickly back up out of the bully's reach and raise your shield (hold right mouse button).

He's hurting, too. You circle each other for a time, looking for an opening, trying to recover some fatigue. Finally the bully charges forward with a devastating overhead blow, perhaps hoping to break your shield. But the shield holds and the recoil send him staggering back. This is your chance! You perform a mighty forward power attack (hold the left mouse button, press forward) and connect solidly. The blow staggers your foe once again, and you perform 3 slashing attacks in rapid succession (left mouse button, pause, left mouse button, pause, left mouse button), and finally the bully collapses to the ground, defeated.

The crowd disperses, going back to their own business.

Amusingly, except for the borderline LARPing enthusiasm, this is the most honest quote in the OP - only NPC will disperse calling for the guards instead of standing around to watch (which is more sensible; making a circle around two random, armed people to watch them fight in a world where anyone can throw fireballs if they study hard enough would be really retarded).

There is an imperial watchman famous for having such low disposition that he would attack random critters added by mods - another mod was created only to make him meek enough to not slaughter all the new kittens and fishes in the imperial city.

pippin

I think that's why Todd just limited himself to show what was going on on the FO4 videos instead of coming on with his own bullshit. They certainly didn't wanted a PR chaos like what happened with Skyrim. Pete thinks FO4 is great, but it's clear he has never played any FO game. I wonder if he even completed 3.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
What do you all think Darkflame is up to these days? Was active for 5 years (2006-2011) and made this quality thread. What happened 7 years ago to make him walk away. Shit like this really makes you think.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
His last post occurred 4 days after the release of Skyrim, and he last visited the Codex three weeks after his last post. :M

Edit: His second-to-last post below
I gotta say for all the crap I gave Bethesda over oblivion, they really did a much better job this time. To their credit they didn't hype it outrageously like they did with Oblivion, and the game is much more comparable to Morrowind with regards to depth.

Besides the fully abysmal interface I have a few gripes but overall I'm enjoying the game alot. Well done Bethesda I'm surprised it's better than expected.

Edit: Open the console '~' and type "set timescale to 4" is a must.

:M:M:M

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
Bethesda lies all the time and we should never take them seriously. But...

[Slateman] "Each of the faction lines in this game have plots and quests to much greater depth over MW. Quality, not quantity."

Fact.

[MrSmileyFaceDude] "I know you don't want to hear it, but you're just going to have to trust us that the dialogue is better than Morrowind's."

Fact.

[Pete] "Honestly, and this is just my opinion, I think the hardcore RPG guys are going to love what we have in store for them in Oblivion. The depth, the level of polish...it crushes Morrowind. That doesn't mean that other people won't want to buy it and play it because it's a beautiful game that has fun combat and cool quests. We'll make enough copies for everyone."

Debatable. Depth is severely reduced in some areas, and greatly enhanced in others.

[MrSmileyFaceDude] "You'll be reading LOTS of stuff. All of the (Guild) quest lines are much more in depth, challenging and interesting. And there's a heck of a lot more to the game than just the guilds and the main quest. Lots and lots of other things to do that haven't been mentioned. Stats play a huge, huge role. Class actually has meaning this time. The game is better balanced. You have more rewards for advancement besides just getting better at things. The dungeons are better designed, the NPCs are more interesting, the dialogue is better written.

Fact.

[BlueDev] "For Oblivion, there's a very concious effort to avoid too much random information spewing by NPCs. Fear not--there's still the same amount of info to be found in the game. In fact, the NPCs probably have more than ever to say; it just makes more sense for them to say it."

Fact.

[MrSmileyFaceDude] "You can only use the map-based fast travel to go to places you've already been. So you'll HAVE to walk to each possible location AT LEAST once."

Mostly true.

[MrSmileyFaceDude] "you can enter every interior."

Fact.

[MrSmileyFaceDude] "Resurrected NPCs are not themselves. They're basically mindless automata who will follow you around and fight for you."

Fact.

[MrSmileyFaceDude] "Oblivion is an extremely rich, complex game with a tremendous amount of depth, compelling quest lines, interesting NPC characters, a huge variety of player character types and intricate character progression set in a huge, varied game world. Combat, magic, and AI have all been dramatically improved to enhance gameplay while still providing a balance between player skill and character skill, because after all, Oblivion is a role playing game. Yes, some things that were present in Morrowind are not in Oblivion -- but a lot more has been added than removed, and the goal has always been to make a game that is both more accessible to first-time RPG players, and is also challenging and rewarding for more experienced players."

Fact.

[Pete] "We will continue to support the mod community as best we can and let them do the great things they do, just as we did with Morrowind."

Fact.

And lol ->
His last post occurred 4 days after the release of Skyrim, and he last visited the Codex three weeks after his last post.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom