Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which of these games should I play next?

Snufkin

Augur
Lionheart - I finished it, its good but gets very combat heavy after a while and stays that way.. if you make non powergaming char you will struggle.

Try Gorky 17.. it's forgotten gem. Have flaws but still grips you.

Oh and get Nox. That one rule.

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Metalheart is alright if you approach it unbiased and without "baww, they promised me Fallout 2.5, burn them" sentiments.
Any further impressions? You're pretty much the only guy I've seen so far who gives it even an 'alright for what it is' rating.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Well, I'll be fucked. All 4 games (the second part had pretty big add-on, so I'll count it too) work perfectly fine under Win8. There is yer Konung in a nutshell:

Konung is the only russian game I like. It still looks and plays good. Oh, btw, I said previously about all that slavic atmosphere - while it's true, there are also scandinavian, mongolian and I think arabic (can't remeber 3rd part too well) characters involved. So it's not all about koshey.

Also, there are some (almost) unique features in Konung:
1. When drinking potions, you only drink as much as you need. 0,12% of healing potion is enough to restore your health? Good, then drink it and keep the rest. When you drink it all up, the empty flask is left for you to refill it.
2. If you get your hands on the village or a town, you'll get a decent amount of options to manage it. Build stuff, guard stuff, hire and fire people, command them, etc. I can't remember of any other RPG back in the days with such a complex settlement management, except for Konung 2.
3. Money is actually an issue. You'll have a very hard time trying to get rich in this game.
4. So very pretty visuals :)

Fuck this, I'm gonna play this shit again, all over, starting from part 1. I hate Codex...

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Fuck this, I'm gonna play this shit again, all over, starting from part 1. I hate Codex...

Consider doing a let's play.
Nah, it's one of those slow approach games. Can be tedious to play at times and even more so to watch somebody do it. In first part you can't even RUN, dammit. The controls can be hell as well.

Imagine controlling a party of 10 men. You can't select them with square or anything. Actually, there is NO WAY to select them all. They won't do SHIT by themselves. There is this one command "everybody, come to me" - then they will follow you A GREAT DEAL BEHIND. When you wanna fight smth, you gotta select them all, one by one, without even a hotkey and push the "A" button, so they will attack. The combat is real-time. And no, you don't get active pause. Good luck trying to equip them new arrows (coz they don't do it when running out, they don't even switch to melee automatically - just fuckin stand there) or popping potions during battle.

That's how we roll in Konung. Pure hardcore.

roshan

Arcane
Lionheart - I finished it, its good but gets very combat heavy after a while and stays that way.. if you make non powergaming char you will struggle.

Try Gorky 17.. it's forgotten gem. Have flaws but still grips you.

Oh and get Nox. That one rule.

I've played those two! That's why they aren't on the list! :)

mondblut

Arcane
Metalheart is alright if you approach it unbiased and without "baww, they promised me Fallout 2.5, burn them" sentiments.
Any further impressions? You're pretty much the only guy I've seen so far who gives it even an 'alright for what it is' rating.

Well, it is turn-based, looks as good as Fallout, has more party control than Fallout, fairly neat character system/itemizations with implants and all, you can recruit just about any nameless NPC into your party... I certainly had more fun playing it than I did with any IE game, at least.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Well, it is turn-based, looks as good as Fallout, has more party control than Fallout, fairly neat character system/itemizations with implants and all, you can recruit just about any nameless NPC into your party... I certainly had more fun playing it than I did with any IE game, at least.
Might as well give it a try then, thanks.

roshan

Arcane

Any idea how to get the damn thing to work on Windows 7?

mondblut

Arcane

No clue, I was on xp back when I played it.

Saduj

Arcane

I haven't played it much but from what I've seen, it installs and runs fine in Windows 7.

I picked it up for a few bucks a few months back and wasn't expecting much but after about 10-15 minutes I stopped playing. Didn't even reach the 1st settlement. Maybe I'll give it another try.

As long as we are talking about poorly received Russian Fallout clones, I finished Planet Apocalypse a couple of years back. It kind drags at the end and the combat is RTWP but I thought the beginning to middle areas of that game were actually pretty good. Also lots of humor - most of it unintentional. Also, I think they tried to put a fair bit of C&C in the game but a lot of it was lost on me due to poor English translation.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron

I haven't played it much but from what I've seen, it installs and runs fine in Windows 7.

I picked it up for a few bucks a few months back and wasn't expecting much but after about 10-15 minutes I stopped playing. Didn't even reach the 1st settlement. Maybe I'll give it another try.

As long as we are talking about poorly received Russian Fallout clones, I finished Planet Apocalypse a couple of years back. It kind drags at the end and the combat is RTWP but I thought the beginning to middle areas of that game were actually pretty good. Also lots of humor - most of it unintentional. Also, I think they tried to put a fair bit of C&C in the game but a lot of it was lost on me due to poor English translation.
Do you mean Planet Alcatraz? Also, where did you get Metal Hearts from?

Saduj

Arcane
Do you mean Planet Alcatraz? Also, where did you get Metal Hearts from?

Yeah, I meant Planet Alcatraz. I got boxed copy of Metalheart off Amazon. Added it to an existing order so that the total would qualify for free shipping. Game was $7.50 and the shipping would have been $8.71.

Last edited by a moderator:

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
OP, what did you choose in the end? Hope it was worth the effort. And just so you know, I blame YOU for all my suffering. Look at this shit:

This isn't even fun! The game doesn't explain you SHIT. No item description (good luck with constant trial&error experience), next-to-non quest description - more like general directions, the charbuild system can be a puzzling bitch at times. And guess what? Turns out, there ARE actually hotkeys for different stuff. Wanna select everybody? Shift+A, it's fucking obvious. Nobody needs a manual or a readme for that! Want to speed up the game, so you won't have to experience all that AWFULLY SLOW WALKING over big-ass world? Well, it's "+" button. Do I look dumb now? Fuck you, coz it's not just "+". It has to the "+" on the fucking numpad! If you play on laptop, your "+" is not good enough for this game, even with "Fn" button. You have to find a keyboard and attach it to the fucking laptop. Fucking obvious!

But most of all I love alchemy. Want to know how grinding looks in this game? Certainly not what u're used to. So you go from one spampoint of ingridients to another - preferably those without mobs around. You gather fucking ingridients. You mix them into potions. You sell them in town and buy empty flasks. Meanwhile ingridients regrow, so you return & repeat. Some of them you leave to yourself and buy some of others, that don't just grow - like poison fangs. From them you make experience potions to make those level ups happen. You also spend the money on scrolls that raise your skills and equipment. Although, why the hell do you need weapons and armor if you don't even fight? Best alchemy simulator evar.

I'm such a pathetic munchkin. "Gotta gather 10 people in mah party. Gotta max them levels for all of them. I'm gonna DOMINATE this shit". Sigh. Now I start to remember why this game was hated back in the days.

roshan

Arcane
I ended up playing the Shadowrun Returns OC instead :D I don't know if I should play these action RPG's or maybe finally give Fallout a try. I also have Arcanum, TOEE and POR:ROMD games in progress which I abandoned due to getting bored.

I've tried Divine Divinity several times, I don't know why, but the first area seems so bland and boring, but it does look like it might have a lot of good quests :( Now Inquisitor, that setting seems really intriguing, and the music is awesome, but I'm having mouse issues with the game, seems to be a common bug that a lot of people suffer from. I've tried disabling mouse acceleration in Windows 7 (or rather I turned it to the lowest setting) and turning off enhanced pointer precision, but the mouse issues remain. Shadow Vault and Metalheart don't run on my PC at all.

Harbinger was kinda crappy, as mentioned. The graphics are nice, but gameplay is terrible, combat is a total mess, and it doesn't hold interest at all.

Akuma turned out to be the pinnacle of shovelware.

Throne of Darkness seems quite bland and uninteresting, is there much plot to it at all? Combat isn't fun either. But again the Japanese style art looks quite nice. Restricted Area also seems to suffer from generally bland and boring gameplay.

Prince of Qin - funnily enough the Engrish somehow adds to the game's atmosphere. Combat sucks but character interaction and dialogue are done better than most games of this sort. Lots of exploration, with an overall very lighthearted tone. Crafting system looks interesting too.

Shadow Watch doesn't have point and click, you have to use arrow buttons to move your characters around in turn based mode, I think I will have to pass on this, though this one also has really good art direction.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom