Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Which part of the Gothic series is the best? (Poll)

The beste Gothic game is...

• Total voters

titus

Arcane
Patron
Myrtana is the best are of the game. Varant and Nordmar seem rushed and not very fleshed out. They're huge areas but not particularly interesting.
Still, exploring Nordmar with a hunter type char is pretty cool.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Gothic 3 with community patch is fairly enjoyable but it's just so weird after the second game. Gothic 2 was such a well designed and focused game where most stuff felt carefully hand placed and complete while Gothic 3 feels so directionless and empty in comparison. The main quest was so forgettable that I'm not even sure what it was. Find Xardas and then something?

It's almost like they were originally doing something similar to Gothic 2 but then Oblivion was released and became a big hit and then the devs thought that "Hey, let's expand this into a Oblivion killer!" in the few months before Gothic 3 was released. They just made the world too large and didn't have the time to fill it with enough proper content.

That said, Nordmar was awesome and Varant was pretty cool too, even though they were even more rushed than Myrtana. They felt like genuinely different regions which is something that most open world games with seemingly diverse environments lack.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
Gothic 3 was pretty great. The main problem for me wasn't really the fetch quests or kill x monsters, all other Gothics had that and Gothic 3 is 4* the size so no surprise there is more of the same. The real issue was progression, after a certain point you just wreck everything but there is still 1/2 of the game to go fighting the same enemies, random loot in chests didn't help. It also really lacks a 'chapters' system. Those chapters really saved Gothic 2 from becoming boring by re spawning the enemies and placing new enemies and quests in old areas. It wasn't perfect but was and remains the best re spawning system around imo.

On the positive side.

Gothic 3 had some great quests, finding all relics of the water god, finding all the chalices, locating/aquiring all the druid stones. It was pretty awesome how hidden some of that stuff ended up. Some locations were very well placed e.g. good luck finding some of those rebel camps without a NPC guide. Running into all the interesting skill trainers. Lastly just some of the most badass magic in a game with no limits aside from mana. Want to invade a city with 20 skeletons and demon while meteors rain down around you and you are transformed into a shadowbeast? Go for it.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Yes, Gothic 3 is most fun played as a Mage. The melee combat is just too dodgy... stunlock, anyone? Archery may also be viable, but in my limited testing the enemies closed in before I could nock another arrow (wolves).

Gothic 3 also has beautiful music and it feels more "human" than Oblivion despite all of its flaws (and there are many).

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
By the way this entire thread is pointless since it was already decided by this magnificent piece of critical writing: http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=137 (I only read it today)

Popamole Dweller speaks the truth: "Gothic 3 is the latest addition, and, in my opinion, the best game in the Gothic series"

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
G1 is quite unique. I appreciated the grittiness of it and thought the slow ascent from getting kicked in the balls by everyone to the man was overall very well orchestrated. Going from memory, I would say the pacing was perfect. Controls really were needlessly shit for combat but the devs probably unwittingly made the world a very perilous place, which was a pretty awesome quality.

hivemind

>a nomad cave 5 min walk away from the nearest city doesn't have it's own teleport stone

triggered

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
Gothic 1 is one of the greatest games of all time. Gothic 2 is linear and rushed and cluttered as fuck with NotR. Gothic 3 could have been the greatest game ever made with another year or two development time.

Tigranes

Arcane
Friends don't let friends choose between G1&2.

As for G3, I liked it... it's probably the best single player MMO I've played. I'm not even being ironic, that's what it is much of the time, but I enjoyed romping around that huge world. (Well, except the desert.)

vonAchdorf

Arcane
A personal problem with the series is that the novelty of their signature proles style has worn off. This is funny the first time, but not something I need in every game:

4REVWoY.jpg

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Original Gothic is the most coherent experience. For example, it actually makes sense there are no children in the game, because of the setting. That is one of the reasons why I like it the most.

hivemind

ok, 3 is getting pretty banal now

Seems NOTR remains as the undisputed King in my eyes.

hivemind

ok, 3 is getting pretty banal now

Seems NOTR remains as the undisputed King in my eyes.

G2+NOTR uber alles. +M
yeah
3 is an okay game but a p bad Gothic
I just became the champion of the arena in Bakaresh and previously liberated two cities and I don't feel absolutely anything, compare this to like being accepted into the militia or finally being allowed to join the swamp camp which really made me feel as if I have accomplished something and progressed in the game

Murk

Arcane
The only sense of accomplishment that wasn't travel related I felt in G3 was when 1) I ran up and punched a deer to death and 2) I got the mana regen thing from the black mages in 'rabland which let me roflstomp everything in sight. It was more OP than when you meticulously hoard all the stat increasing items/foods/npc-helpers in NotR until the very end so you actually get 200 in str or dex and then just murder your way through.

Oh right, and one time I snuck into a temple of Adanos without the keys by finding a ledge up to the top of the temple which happens to have no roof, then (having acrobatics) just jumped in and started killing everything and looting shit -- then teleported out with a tele stone. I think it was the one with all the orcs near it in the big ruins area -- not the one near the water mages.

One oddly satisfying thing, tho not much of an accomplishment, is if you find a cave (relatively small, like a shadowbeast one) that is full of snakes/meatbugs. Get any self-centered AOE spell and stand in the middle and blast them, then see the flurry of tiny xp bumps jump up and then spend an hour looting every meatbug for meatbug meat because very important.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I'm sorry if you get motion sickness, I'm sure it's not fun. But that you, two other people and some others suffer this from playing Gothic 2 isn't indicative of anything. People all over the world also get motion sickness from a wide array of 3D games. But again, don't blame the game, it's like getting motion sickness from traveling and blaming the car/bus/train/plane for it.

I don't get motion sickness from any other games. Had Piranha Bytes implemented decent camera controls I wouldn't be getting sick. Additionally

Had motion sickness with HL2 and Gothic 2 for a while, plus GTA4 when you drive drunk.

Playing Gothic 2, I didn't complete it 8 years ago due to motion sickness, probably caused by poor graphics card back then.

gothic 2: didn't like control. and motion sickness prevented me from playing much.

I'm not familiar with the first two games myself - I did briefly try G2 for a couple of nights but I couldn't get into it. A combination of getting my ass handed to me in combat and getting motion sickness from the movement of the camera. My preference is 1st person, but I couldn't stand the swaying at all.. it was less of a problem in 3rd, but still enough to put me off buying the game for myself. Odd because no other game has ever made me feel ill before or since. Even when I played for 10 hours straight!

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'm sorry if you get motion sickness, I'm sure it's not fun. But that you, two other people and some others suffer this from playing Gothic 2 isn't indicative of anything. People all over the world also get motion sickness from a wide array of 3D games. But again, don't blame the game, it's like getting motion sickness from traveling and blaming the car/bus/train/plane for it.

I don't get motion sickness from any other games. Had Piranha Bytes implemented decent camera controls I wouldn't be getting sick. Additionally

Had motion sickness with HL2 and Gothic 2 for a while, plus GTA4 when you drive drunk.

Playing Gothic 2, I didn't complete it 8 years ago due to motion sickness, probably caused by poor graphics card back then.

gothic 2: didn't like control. and motion sickness prevented me from playing much.

I'm not familiar with the first two games myself - I did briefly try G2 for a couple of nights but I couldn't get into it. A combination of getting my ass handed to me in combat and getting motion sickness from the movement of the camera. My preference is 1st person, but I couldn't stand the swaying at all.. it was less of a problem in 3rd, but still enough to put me off buying the game for myself. Odd because no other game has ever made me feel ill before or since. Even when I played for 10 hours straight!
Why don't you give it a rest? You can't think to convince us who have had not problems whatsoever with G2 that we are supposed to get motion sickness because camera?!

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Why don't you give it a rest? You can't think to convince us who have had not problems whatsoever with G2 that we are supposed to get motion sickness because camera?!

Maybe you don't truly notice because you're always in a state of suffering.
Were you using the mouse or something?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom