Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which RPG has the worst combat?

Perkel

Arcane
I used it as food for "RPG with modern combat =/= RPG with modern combat" topic and how assuming just because you have guns in your combat it makes combat the same as every other RPG combat system with guns. Game is good dude and it's in my top 3 RPGs.

F1 had good combat overall (for non party RPG) and Fallout Tactics expanded this model to proper flat out amazing party system. It would be standing near JA2 model if progression system would be more flat because due to this progression system you have evident low level mobs and powerful bloated hp mobs compared to flat JA2 system where if you are bad at tactics even bunch of dudes with pistols would trash your elite party.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
I hate NWN with the power of a thousand suns, yet I still prefer its combat (not that it was good, mind you) to Arcanum's. Combat in Arcanum is the worst thing ever, awfully designed, clunky and boring - and real-time was even worse.

Other shitty combat systems:
-NWN (both)
-Darklands (completely unresponsive and uninformative)
-Bloodlines (worse than oblibion)
-Gothics (some seem to like these games. weird people)
-Anachronox (jrpg combat sucks)

I'm one of those that enjoy Infinity engine combat, and I never found PS:T fights to be awful. There's nothing to write home about, but it's mediocre at worst.

Lhynn

Arcane
1) Generalizing yes ? Do most of RTwP games have terrible encounter design ? Fucking yes. So GENERALIZING IS OK. One or two games out of all games do not make this problem invalid. That is problem with real time combat not just "with Pause". BG2 is sure good example of encounter design in that genre but i still fucking remember goblins/mephits in library (irenicus dungeon) or kobolds in sewers. That is beside fact that i mentioned. In BG2 or any IE games you could buff your party to oblivion before fight. That is fucking flaw in design don't say it isn't.

Meta knowledge being a problem in an RPG because it makes encounters easy? oh my! yes, sure its product of evil RTwP mechanics.

Perkel said:
2) What is filler combat ?

Filler combat is combat in which you switch off your brain because encounter is designed for you to just click things and don't think. Fucking kobold with simple bow and you are rolling with lvl 10 party. That is a filler combat.

Fighting 3 skeletons near some random house ? Seems like filler combat. But if those skeletons can hurt you and you start to use your brain then that starts to become proper combat not filler one.

Filler combat =/= filler combat. Filler combat in RT games often only means cut wave of foes and there will be another wave. shitty trash mobs in numbers and so on. Create something like this in TB and you will have 3 hour boredom marathon and any half dumb designer could see something like this from a mile and do something with it.

Take for example whole NWN1. Take prison. Fucking shit ton of trash mobs everywhere. Something like this doesn't exist in TB games. Why ? Because killing all of them in TB would take literally hours as i mentioned. So your TB filler combat is completely different to RTwP filler combat.
And it is also the case of % of filler combat. Take almost any RTwP RPG and most of it is filler combat compared to TB games.

Mate, first, theres literally no reason to deny the existence of shitty TB games with loads of filler combat, they exist. Second, turn based can be just as fast if not faster than real time, at least i remember my rounds in exile going pretty fucking fast, conversely my time fighting in DA2 was fucking painful, oh god, the hp bloat, the endless waves of enemies, make it staph!. Stop generalizing in vain, poor design choices are poor design choices, no matter the base combat mechanic.

Perkel said:
3) Combat model absolutely demanded things i spoke of. Flat system means more or less anyone can hurt you and things i said like positioning, stealth, mobility were CRUCIAL to JA2 combat. "had plenty of turn based RPGs with modern weapons" Now that is bullshit. Because TB rpg with weapons =/= TB rpg with weapons. There is a reason why JA2 combat system shits all over combat systems in other games. Fallout Tactics comes close but it isn't flat system as JA2 system.

Just compare Fallout 1 system with JA2 and see how fucking shitty Fallou1 system is compared to JA2. You could just take powerarmor get minigun and wipe away fags. In JA2 there isn't any magical spell that will make you invincible so you take on 3-4 rookie dudes with shotguns at close range without any positioning or tactic like in JA2 and your dude is sure to be dead in a turn or two.

You keep lumping together things that have no reason to be together in the first place.

JA2 combat system shits all over other combat systems because they knew how to implement said combat systems and made it happen. I cannot think of a single TB RPG with modern weapons were stealth, positioning, mobility, cover, etc. would be undesirable.

Yes, fallouts combat wasnt very good, but this was because of the mechanics used, not because it happened to present a more robust rpg system. You can have both good combat and RPG mechanics in a game, they are not mutually exclusive. A nearly flat progression is a good approach for rpgs with modern weapons trying to be somewhat realistic, but that doesnt mean others with a different kind of progression will surely be bad.

Perkel

Arcane
You keep lumping together things that have no reason to be together in the first place.

JA2 combat system shits all over other combat systems because they knew how to implement said combat systems and made it happen. I cannot think of a single TB RPG with modern weapons were stealth, positioning, mobility, cover, etc. would be undesirable.

Yes, fallouts combat wasnt very good, but this was because of the mechanics used, not because it happened to present a more robust rpg system. You can have both good combat and RPG mechanics in a game, they are not mutually exclusive. A nearly flat progression is a good approach for rpgs with modern weapons trying to be somewhat realistic, but that doesnt mean others with a different kind of progression will surely be bad.

Then point me any game that is not Fallout Tactics with good combat system involving guns that is comparable (at quality scale) to JA2 combat.
Because i would fucking gladly play it. And i don't even mean TB. Real Time will also do. Because that is state of those games on PC. There are like few of them in last 10 years and almost all of them are shit. Only recently Xenonauts broke that curse but it isn't anywhere near JA2 level.

Perkel

Arcane
Facepalm.

Been there done that. That is no way near JA2. System is good overall for starved people but completely mediacore if you compare to JA2.
That beside fact that combat system after few hours becomes broken as your scouts can win almost all battles in turn or two.
Still encounter design and mission design is out of scale in several mission.

I hoped VC2 would fix that but it ruined it even more and completely changed battle design.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
VC3 is a bit better than VC2 i've found (in encounter design). It does add overpowered abilities but they're needed for S rank so it's not so unbalanced.

Also it's not 'completely mediocre', you're probably just abusing savestates. VC is the only game since JA2 that is both a rpg and doesn't have completely boring banal shit tactics i've played. And it's from the consoles and completely animu. What's wrong grognards and pc game designers?
It was obviously playtested by people who actually know how to play games, just the ranking system being so tight proves it (and i much prefer timed missions to the unlimited time shit that is the norm in west rpgs).

Also superiority of flat character & loot systems proved beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Last edited:

Declinator

Arbiter
Then point me any game that is not Fallout Tactics with good combat system involving guns that is comparable (at quality scale) to JA2 combat.
Because i would fucking gladly play it. And i don't even mean TB. Real Time will also do. Because that is state of those games on PC. There are like few of them in last 10 years and almost all of them are shit. Only recently Xenonauts broke that curse but it isn't anywhere near JA2 level.

Silent Storm

Perkel

Arcane
I don't remember using saving during missions (is that even possible?) in VC1 or VC2. VC2 gone completely full retardo. By end of VC2 i just said fuck it. I couldn't handle anymore same missions over and over again just with different enemy placement with some most japanese school drama on top of that.

Like i said VC1 has qualities but it is nowhere near JA2 due to balancing issues (like scouts winning almost every fight in one turn). VC2 fixed most of combat but completely ruined it on other hand with super small zones and terrible terrible encounter design.

Silent Storm

Glad you pointed this out. I auto assumed after my post that first one will be Silent Storm and there will be no second game which is close to JA2 quality combat system.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Glad you pointed this out. I auto assumed after my post that first one will be Silent Storm and there will be no second game which is close to JA2 quality combat system.

Them moving goalposts. We all love them.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Aleshar: world of ice.

Cast spell twice. Heart attack, game over man game over

Hobo Elf

Arcane
KOTOR was significantly worse than NWN if only because it lacked all the fun D&D spells. Hardly any of the force abilities felt fun, except for Force Lightning.

Perkel

Arcane

Them moving goalposts. We all love them.

Yeah love them goalposts. I simply forgot about SS and didn't correct my post.
Still you have anything to add ? like some good combat game involving guns that is in JA2 quality or near as good ?

edit:

shit what an offtop.

Last edited:

Athelas

Arcane

For a single dude combat not for party combat where companion would shower you malee dude with bullets.
'For a single dude?' You don't think lack of party control is one of the biggest weaknesses of Fallout's combat? And most every tactic in the game boiled down to simply attacking something until it was dead. It's hilarious how you criticize the encounter design of the IE games which had a near-endless supply of enemy immunities and status effects that at least kept you somewhat on your toes.

The reason why combat tends to be bad in RPG's is not exactly rocket science. They tend to be more focused on simulation and the overall experience of role-playing. The people who made Fallout also made Fallout 2 and Arcanum. That's three RPG's where companions are AI-controlled. Presumably to make them feel like their own person, but the obvious result is combat that isn't particularly good.

Gregz

Arcane
Darklands

Slow, plodding, tedious.

citycombat1.gif

The combat mechanics are fine, the implementation is terrible.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
JA2 was exploitable simshit with a really boring character system and the usual utterly dumb "better stat = more action points", okay peace. :cool:

Black

Arcane
RK47 If you want to keep making DOS clips consider editing in some modern and hip stuff like sick close-ups and wuwubwubwubwbuwbuwb "music". Guaranteed millions of views on youtube.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
You don't think lack of party control is one of the biggest weaknesses of Fallout's combat?

I don't; I actually preferred being only able to control a singular character. I found more issues with AI, encounter design and overall combat flow and options than the lack of party control (meaning, I never missed it, so I couldn't hold it as an issue in the first place).

But then, I never approached Fallout as a game that would've required extra beefed combat to begin with. It had flaws, but it served its purpose.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
You don't think lack of party control is one of the biggest weaknesses of Fallout's combat?
overall combat flow (and options) than the lack of party control.
Party control is what gives you combat options.

So does encounter design (terrain, enemies, initial placement, and the AI to whose whims you kinda need to adapt to), and additional combat options like stances, firemodes, cover possibilities, flanking, etc. The lack of party control randomizes things a bit due to the AI, but I think that only makes the situation more living through the unpredictability and less like a puzzle to solve - that doesn't fit all games, for sure, but I think it fits Fallout and what it tries to do just fine (and woud've have much better if the mentioned issues were handled).

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
overall combat flow (and options) than the lack of party control.
Party control is what gives you combat options.

So does encounter design (terrain, enemies, initial placement, and the AI to whose whims you kinda need to adapt to), and additional combat options like stances, firemodes, cover possibilities, flanking, etc. The lack of party control randomizes things a bit due to the AI, but I think that only makes the situation more living through the unpredictability and less like a puzzle to solve - that doesn't fit all games, for sure, but I think it fits Fallout and what it tries to do just fine (and woud've have much better if the mentioned issues were handled).
You can't flank without another party member providing fire suppression. In the end it's as you said, even if you add those options, with one character you inevitably end up with puzzle combat rather than tactical combat. At best you will pick the best stance, pick the best firemode, pick the best cover for the given situation, rather than actually thinking up possible maneuver tactics outside of kiting. It becomes a game about logistics instead of tactics.

eremita

Savant
Dragon Age 2.
Fuck you!

Combat in Arcanum wasn't bad per se, it was just broken/unfinished. They should have gone with either RT or TB.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom