Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which Spiderweb game should I play first?

Drax

Arcane
I only played the first geneforge (I think) and it was pretty neat, not your traditional rpg. I may actually reinstall a bunch of those one of these days.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
Geneforge 5 has more or less modern UI. I think it's his first game that supports widescreen and custom resolution.

It's a standalone game, no knowledge of previous games is needed. It's in the vein of Fallout unlike his other game. I'd say it's like a 2d fantasy Fallout New Vegas only it came out before Fallout New Vegas. Combat is turn based just like all his other games.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
The loss of so many Exile spells is a shame. Has he ever talked about why they were removed? I'm guessing it might have something to do with a 4 man party vs 6?
I can't remember, and thus not sure, but I guess it's overall simplification of game process. He talked about "lol, guys, I removed identify because you wanted it" despite that his own forums called it stupid. By the way, he never posts there. Guess why.
So, he found spells that produced similar general effects (damage, haste or healing), made them into 3 tiers and removed all others spells.

Uncle Skull

Educated
Nethergate I utterly adore since I am a slut when it comes to semi historical settings. It does some unique things on the side too.
Geneforge 1 was really good, but it had a lot of (really bad) trash combat IIRC. Didn't finish it, sadly.
Avernum 1 (not the re-remake) I didn't like at all, tough I did play through 70% of it or so...make of that what you will.

Wulfris

Literate
So... as your first game it kinda depends what you like.

Avadon wants to be Dragon Age/BG2 but suffers froma really odd overall plot.
Geneforge wants to be Pokemon meets baldurs gate but suffers from a horrendous UI, and some odd design choices. Amazing story however.
Avernum is basically Icewind Dale. Story is fairly minimal in the first 3, with a heavy focus on combat and exploration.

Pick your poison, I like them all, but I'd have to say for your first game I'd at least attempt Geneforge.. if you want something more Linear with more ... talking... go Avadon. If you want more exploration Avernum.

I bounced off Nethergate hard, and I ADORE history... the beginning is... a bit more tedious than I was expecting.

deama

Prophet
Is geneforge 5 any good? I tried playing 1st one but UI was....

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
Is geneforge 5 any good? I tried playing 1st one but UI was....

I recommend playing Geneforge 5. You don't really need to play any previous games. UI is better, widescreen is supported.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom