Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which to get: Avernum or Exile?

Chuftie

Augur
So they're basically the same game except Avernum is apparently more polished or some shit. My question is getting Avernum worth it? Are the improvements worth getting it over Exile?

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Both have a big demo. You can compare them yourself.

Exile is more old-school and has better graphics.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Awor Szurkrarz said:
Exile is more old-school and has better graphics.
It has also a party of 6 (Avernum has 4) and IIRC more spells.

General concensus seems to be that Exile is better.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Exile 1,2,3 = Avernum 1,2,3 (more or less), but keep in mind the series continues with Avernum 4,5,6

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I tried Avernum demo and became hooked on Spiderweb Software games. After I encountered the Shareware Demon I bought the whole (first) trilogy because I was fully convinced I'd play them all to completion (and I did). Anyway, as usually with Vogel's products, try the demo!

Chuftie

Augur
I ask as I have Exile 3 and am wondering if just to get the remakes or stick with old school exile.

Chuftie said:
I ask as I have Exile 3 and am wondering if just to get the remakes or stick with old school exile.

If you enjoy Exile 3, stick with the exiles. Otherwise, grab the Avernum 1 demo.

You cannot move your characters over, and the stories are basically the same up until Avernum 4.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Exile! Their combat more complex and fun due to 6 man party, ton of spells and so on.

juggernaut

Educated
Exile, for the 6 man party and better graphics (imo). I think the remakes have minor bug/design fixes and bonus dungeons though, also the Exiles don't work on 64-bit windows :(

mondblut

Arcane
Chuftie said:
My question is getting Avernum worth it? Are the improvements worth getting it over Exile?

No. Exile is superior in every aspect other than the "look at me, I am now in a fashionable crappy isometry rather than the so 80s-looking acceptable topdown" eyesore candy.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
As said, try the demos. Not sure what people's comments could show you that a demo could not much more effectively.

Personally I liked Avernum better, probably because of my personal heyday with RPGs being in the Fallout/Baldur's Gate days and Avernum more closely resembles that.

Chuftie

Augur
mondblut said:
Chuftie said:
My question is getting Avernum worth it? Are the improvements worth getting it over Exile?

No. Exile is superior in every aspect other than the "look at me, I am now in a fashionable crappy isometry rather than the so 80s-looking acceptable topdown" eyesore candy.

I sense some anger...

Naw I'll stick to Exile mainly because I already have one game.

Now this topic will officially be ragging about how eye-gougingly bad Phil Foglio's art is. The only work that isn't terribad is XXXenophile and only because he has guest artists come in do work

ElectricOtter

Eh, they're both okay, but I prefer Exile 'cause it just has more stuff. 6 party members, more spells, blunt weapons, more item types, more traits, stuff like that.

Chuftie

Augur
Speaking of Exile3.

I know that if you fuck around for too long the various monsters will be more plentiful and towns will be wrecked but what's the intervals for that and what's amount of destruction that can happen?

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Avernum 1-3 are a bit of a mystery to me.

They're ok but I don't understand the justification for producing these remakes.

The updated sprite graphics are a mixed bag, but generally are less professional and of lower quality than the exile tiles. And of course the horrifying portraits were introduced to ruin the look of the game.

While isometric sprites are considered a step up from tiles, it is hard to imagine that there is a large number of people who are ok with barely animated isometric sprites, but who cannot enjoy a game with nice looking tiles. What's the difference?

Gameplay wise, Avernum just has less than Exile: less spells, less skills, two less party members (!), no blunt weapons...

Additionally, Exile seems to play a bit faster than Avernum,you don't have to deal with hundreds of shitty items worth 1 copper like you do in the early Avernums.

Balancewise none of them seem good.

Maybe people just really wanted icon based inventory and menu based dialog instead of having to type name/job?

Anyway, go with Exile for sure.

Gold

Augur
Patron
Dead State Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Also if you can get Exile to work well on your computer, I believe Blades of Exile is now open-source. And it had tons of user made adventures to play.

Chuftie

Augur
Gold said:
Also if you can get Exile to work well on your computer, I believe Blades of Exile is now open-source. And it had tons of user made adventures to play.

Really?

Well then my already solidified position on exile is further solidified.

Now about this balance thing, can someone explain it?
So far my only complain in exile3 is the fact that only two of my melee characters seem to do decent damage and not get horribly maimed in the process.

ElectricOtter

Chuftie said:
So far my only complain in exile3 is the fact that only two of my melee characters seem to do decent damage and not get horribly maimed in the process.
How are their skills spread? For melee fighters, you need high Endurance and Strength. Blunt Weapons isn't as good or useful as Melee/Pole Weapons. Ambidextrous is a good trait for melee fighters. In any case, your spellcasters will be doing more damage then melee fighters until you start getting good enchanted weapons.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Sort f a necro but I thought it's better I post here than starting again: I've just tried Avernum 6 and really liked it. Now I'm interested in the other games but with all these remakes and myriad of entries per series, I'm confused, do they have an overarching story meaning I have to play them in order or are they just different entries in the same series, sort of like NWN and BG are for the FR setting?

What games are recommended?

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
commie said:
What games are recommended?

Apart from 6, 2 and 3 are the best imho. Also, Exile 3. :M
I wouldn't recommend playing all Avernums at once/in order. It'd get too repetitive.

Orgasm

Barely Literate
Avernum 1-3 is utter shit and people who play them are morons beyond redemption.

The combat is retarded shit. The AI is retarded shit. The writing is retarded shit. The graphics are retarded shit. The interface is retarded shit. The presentation is retarded shit. Jesus Fucking Christ, and somebody wanted money for it?!?!?!

You know, I spend 2 hours in Oblivion and I regret them to this day. But I spent 10 in Avernum and I will remember that on my deathbed.

I havent tried Exile but my guess is, that its more of the same. The only thing that Exile could do better is combat but considering it is from the same mentally challenged developer...

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
flabbyjack said:
Nethergate: Resurrection
You won't regret it :salute:
Yes, you regret it. Because you should play original Nethergate.
Ressurection was avernumification of Nethergate. Game lost food, need to id, blessing pools, gain shitton of trainers, two dungeons - one is very dumb, lost magical lockpicks (maybe ALL lockpicks), bunch of skills, woad is useless etc.

UG have it. :M

7hm

Scholar
Exile 2 was one of my favorite games. First indie game I ever bought and it was well worth it. I never did finish it though, I think I died too many times on the last castle and just gave it up.

I really didn't like Avernum 1-3 as they were crappier versions of Exile 1-3, but 4-6 were fine. If you were to replay the whole series I'd go from Exile 1-3 to Avernum 4-6. Just think of the storyline as being analogous to a switch from Greek mythology to Roman mythology - the names all change but the basis of the mythos stays the same.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom