Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which to get: Avernum or Exile?

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I see, thanks for the tips. Nethergate was one I really had my eye on being with Romans for a change. There really seems to be a difference of opinion of the different versions of the same thing, which makes it difficult to choose. I guess I'll just bite the bullet and pick one for now and play the other in the future sometime. Since I've played A6, it's probably the style I'll stick to at first. Of course SS will probably just remake all their games in the A6 engine and I'll have to start again....

So just to make sure: all the Avernums, Geneforges, Exiles are self contained games that you can play in any order?

7hm

Scholar
You can play them in any order but it makes more sense to play the Exile series from 1-3 and the Avernum series from 1-6 (well, 4-6, play Exile instead for the first 3).

ecliptic

Liturgist
Nethergate:Res was great fun, but I'm getting a bit fatigued with the combat in the endgame. I'm about 90% done.

SkeleTony

Augur
Overall, Exile 3 was the best of the Exile trilogy IMO. Exile 2 was very good though but you can disregard the first Exile and not miss anything. Blades of Exile is better than Exile 3 even because of the nigh-infinite number of scenarios you can play.

Avernum 1 is like an even crappier Exile 1. Avernum 2 was decent but not as good as Exile 2(not even close really) and Avernum 3 was...ok but the lack of spells and 4 PC party limit really hurt the game. Same deal with Blades of Avernum.

The graphics are arguably better in the Avernums but even where this holds true the difference is not so great as to justify advocating Avernums over Exiles. Avernum has some interesting skill/ability features(the hidden "advanced" skills you can get) but again, Exile 2 & 3 + BoE are better.

Linden

Arcane
commie said:
I see, thanks for the tips. Nethergate was one I really had my eye on being with Romans for a change.
For maximum enjoyment and challenge, try playing Romans without using ANY magic. No spells, no magic potions. Bandages, healing kits, lamps and other non-magic useables are allowed, of course. It makes some of the longer battles really hard and much more strategic. No magic means you can't barge in and heartschock everything in the first two rounds - you actually have to take your time and wear the enemy down. Retreating when necessary, using your superior ranged combat skills to the max (read: javelins), keeping your fighters together, taking advantage of the terrain - that sort of stuff. I'm not gonna lie, sometimes cheese is the only option.

And kicking the ass of those obnoxious, arrogant elves with nothing but cold steel and Roman resolve - it feels good, man. That's how Romans should be played.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Linden said:
commie said:
I see, thanks for the tips. Nethergate was one I really had my eye on being with Romans for a change.
For maximum enjoyment and challenge, try playing Romans without using ANY magic. No spells, no magic potions. Bandages, healing kits, lamps and other non-magic useables are allowed, of course. It makes some of the longer battles really hard and much more strategic. No magic means you can't barge in and heartschock everything in the first two rounds - you actually have to take your time and wear the enemy down. Retreating when necessary, using your superior ranged combat skills to the max (read: javelins), keeping your fighters together, taking advantage of the terrain - that sort of stuff. I'm not gonna lie, sometimes cheese is the only option.

And kicking the ass of those obnoxious, arrogant elves with nothing but cold steel and Roman resolve - it feels good, man. That's how Romans should be played.

Cool, thanks. It unnerved me a bit to see magic and fantasy stuff in it but good to know that you can play it the non magical way.

Thanks too to the others for their input. I think I will try the Exiles first, then the later Avernums.

Linden

Arcane
Come to think of it, there is even a trait you can choose at character creation which prevents your character(s) from casting spells and using magic items (you get a small xp bonus instead). Rational Mind, I believe it is called. You might as well take it if you're going for a non-magic run. Just don't give it to ALL your characters - for some odd reason it prevents the use of lamps and candles, aka your only light source.

Alkarl

Learned
:necro:

I did a quick web search and found that the Exile trilogy does not run on Win7 64-bit. I figured if anyone out there knows how to run it, it'd be you wise sirs. Based on what I've read about them, really looking forward to this if possible. I've played Avernum 1 & the remake of the remake. I found them "enjoyable" but not quite what I was looking for.

Cael

Arcane

I did a quick web search and found that the Exile trilogy does not run on Win7 64-bit. I figured if anyone out there knows how to run it, it'd be you wise sirs. Based on what I've read about them, really looking forward to this if possible. I've played Avernum 1 & the remake of the remake. I found them "enjoyable" but not quite what I was looking for.
It runs on my Win7 64-bit machine, but I run it through DosBox. Try that.

mondblut

Arcane

You can use XP mode in Virtual PC, or you can install windows 3.11 in dosbox and run it from there. Heck, you can even use the oldschool Mac emulator (Basilisk) and run Mac versions.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I use DOSBox to run Windows 3.1, then run the freeware Exile executable files through the 'Run' option of Windows 3.1. I like the Exile trilogy more than Avernum, but this is due to me preferring a 6-man party over a 4-man party. Also, I still have a fond place in my heart for the top-down 2D square combat grids. To each their own.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom