Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Who Here Would Like to Collaberate On a RPG Project?

Does a Codexian Collaberation Designed RPG Sound Like a Good Idea?

• Total voters

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
After various attempts to develop an RPG, I have found that I don't have the artistic talent to do art or music, or the ability to debug my own code and then continue having motivation. So, that out of the way:
Who here would want to collaborate on a project? I would need an artist, a programmer and (optionally) music designer.
I can handle setting and story design, and encounter design. Anyone interested?

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Sounds like you're asking other people to make an RPG for you then take the credit

Wayward Son

Yet you have no programming experience or artistic acumen
I have some programming experience, and as far as art, yeah, I could never draw or paint or even digitally art, but I'm good at writing. Fuck it, maybe I'll just go with what Snorkack said. I should just stop being a pussy.

Magitex

Educated
Try making something in RPG maker / Gamemaker. Or use something simple like Love2D and source your assets from one of the many free resources around. You can code like a monkey in Lua (Love2D) and it will probably work a lot better than trying to wrangle Unity/C# if you don't have good programming skills.

Finding slaves isn't all that easy unless you have a pretty solid theme/demo/ideas and you are prepared to voice them. Everyone usually just wants to make their own stuff and you'll often find borrowed help is not particularly motivated. It's rare you'll find someone who actually wants to cooperate on a project unless it's someone you've been hashing out ideas to on a regular basis. I don't think it's impossible, but you need something like a kickstarter page to get randoms interested in the project (which will probably require you spend time on dreaded art or design).

These days I work solo on my own project (~5 years) and I dread working on art and interfaces, but that's the life of indie development if you don't have friends with skills (or money for assets). If you have poor self-motivation (or fail to make the appearance you have motivation), there's no chance you will be able to motivate other people to do the hard shit on the project (can confirm indie dev is about 80% suffering on stuff you don't want to deal with, 15% anxiety worrying about stuff and 5% of actual fun). The solution is simple: be motivated, do the programming, art and design yourself, all while holding a steady 9-5 job. Incline is inversely parallel to your mental health declining.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yet you have no programming experience or artistic acumen
I have some programming experience, and as far as art, yeah, I could never draw or paint or even digitally art, but I'm good at writing. Fuck it, maybe I'll just go with what Snorkack said. I should just stop being a pussy.

Just make an uncredited asset flip turd and sell it for 99 cents on Steam like all the cool kids are doing these days.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Anyone who knows how to do art or to program is already doing it for the money. Sadly this approach on pure enthusiasm doesn't work.

Try doing a CYOA. Incorporate any systems you want into it. Write amazing dialogues and story. Then you have a shot at convincing other people to work on a full blown game based on your text based game.

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Wayward Son you have committed the great developer sin of advertising yourself as the "ideas guy." Lots of people do this early on, so don't feel too bad. The truth of the matter is you're not going to find someone who wants to collaborate with the ideas guy because ideas are cheap. Everyone has ideas. Your programmer already has an idea for a game he wants to make. So does your artist. They would rather put their own ideas into a game than make you a game from scratch. Or if you're going to be the ideas guy, then you also need to be the money guy.

I might suggest modding a game to start. It could be a gentle way of immersing yourself in the various aspects of game development. You'll also be starting off right away with a working game engine and lots of assets, so you can get right into telling your story without waiting a year for the engine to get written.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wayward Son you have committed the great developer sin of advertising yourself as the "ideas guy." Lots of people do this early on, so don't feel too bad. The truth of the matter is you're not going to find someone who wants to collaborate with the ideas guy because ideas are cheap. Everyone has ideas. Your programmer already has an idea for a game he wants to make. So does your artist. They would rather put their own ideas into a game than make you a game from scratch. Or if you're going to be the ideas guy, then you also need to be the money guy.

I might suggest modding a game to start. It could be a gentle way of immersing yourself in the various aspects of game development. You'll also be starting off right away with a working game engine and lots of assets, so you can get right into telling your story without waiting a year for the engine to get written.
I thought so too, then decided that zog it, might as well go all in while I still have a job.
P. S. Snorkack it's gonna be turn based.

Wayward Son

That's actually a good idea. Thinking on it, if I could mod in XP-based leveling (did someone already do this for Morrowind?), Morrowind has most everything I want. Also, the RPGMaker idea ain't bad.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
Not at all, I want to do story, writing, encounter design, setting design, systems design, etc.

So, all the fun stuff, then?

In all seriousness, what do you bring to the table that's unique? Why would I, a programmer with some artistic skills and a lot of experience putting together RPGs from your side (story, writing, encounter design, etc) put any faith that you would bring anything to the table that I don't already have at my disposal?

It sounds like I'm being an ass, but I am being dead serious. If you're going to be the ideas guy, you have to be a really, really good ideas guy. You have to have your shit together. You have to have a plan. You have to put in as much work as the people who are doing all the coding and art.

So, what would make someone want to work with you? What do you contribute?

ortucis

Prophet
How much are you paying?

Cause the other (adult) RPG I am working on has community donating in support for it regularly.

Unless this is like "design my website for free and you will get the credits and will be famous" shite.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There are basically 2 ways to be the idea guy:
- Sweet talk investors into bankrolling you and press about pushing your game. This means you are basically a marketing game, and a good one at that.
- Spend your own money on the game. Doesn't require any skill, but can backfire badly if you happen to count on the RoI for your children's college tuition.

Even without skill, you should be able to learn Game Maker or even Unity to create a prototype to showcase your ideas.

If your situation/skills match none of the above, your best bet is to first publish board games or PnP stuff to prove yourself, or mod an existing game.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
We're definitely collaberating this one. Haven't seen this much berating since the last idea dude waltzed by.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

I thought so too, then decided that zog it, might as well go all in while I still have a job.
P. S. Snorkack it's gonna be turn based.
Got anything to show us already?

Wayward Son

Yeah, I'm gonna go with Nathaniel3W's idea to start. That seems more my speed and would let me get my ideas out there and get feedback on them. Thanks everyone for your suggestions to stop being a shitty person.

Self-Ejected

supervoid

Self-Ejected
If you want to try modding for future portfolio use NWN or HBS Shadowrun editor. Studios are accepting those during Junior Quest Designer and Level Designer recruitment. For FPP either REDkit or NV GECK/Skyrim Kit. You need branched quest or/and new map with combat+hub, and nice design document.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom