Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Why aren't there any game devs who use classical music in soundtracks?

Gentle Player

Arcane
To answer this thread, music that was meant to be listened for it's own sake doesn't usually fit all that well when used to underscore another medium.

Of course there are a number of great exceptions where the clever use of a certain piece really enhances the film in question. Brief Encounter and Barry Lyndon are great examples. Then again, not everyone is Kubrick or David Lean.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I've long lost count of the number of 1980s video games that used classical music.

But then again, back then the challenge was getting dedicated sound chips (usually running in the 1 Mhz range) to play half-decent music, getting them to play classical works was part of that experience.

Also, "Ode to Joy" on the Civilization Hall of Fame screen.

Neanderthal

Arcane
I still use classical in my pen and paper RPGs, agree it's underused in games now. Mars, bringer of war for action sequences or Dance of the Knights from Romeo & Juliet. Weird i'd go with Mussorgsky and something from Pictures at an Exhibition, while dreamlike or peaceful I go with Debussy or Ravel. Pastoral scenes Vaughan Williams or Elgar. Thomas Tallis fantasia is a great intro theme i've found.

Wagner of course has to be daubed on in great big heaps, that Gotterdammerung overture as used at opening of Excalibur for instance, fucking glorious. Stirs my black bitter heart if I do say so mesen.

Haraldur

Augur
Regarding the familiarity problem, there is plenty of "classical" music that is well out of the mainstream, while not being totally obscure (and therefore likely, still, to be good). Take Monteverdi, for example: the numbers of opera and/or madrigal enthusiasts playing any particular game are, likely, quite low and, more often than not, them recognizing these relatively underused pieces in the game would not be a detractor, but more likely the opposite ("oh! the fanfare from the prologue to Monteverdi's L'Orfeo! Cool!"). As an exercise, last week I did think, for a while, about what types of situations in a game could be addressed just by Monteverdi snippets and I concluded that even just one opera, L'Orfeo, would suffice (barely), assuming one converted the vocal lines to some other instrument (I believe vocals would be too distracting -- here is a more derived example, from an otherwise lost opera).

vonAchdorf

Arcane
The Japanese do it the other way 'round. From games to opera / concert hall.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Most obvious answer - because most game devs are musically uneducated and they don't know what "classical" music is. Most game composers are as well. Even the people who ARE educated, like Jeremy Soule, are one-dimensional and can't seem to get out of Renaissance voice-leading (sometimes not even that) coupled with a skewed understanding of the logic of Romanticism. They also have boring inventions and just aren't creative. "Classical" music also isn't "in" with the cool kids.

I really think that's the extent of the whole problem. Musically uneducated game devs + composers, the unpopularity of "classical" music, and the inability/unwillingness of actually educated game composers to compose in such a manner. Most of their orchestration is abysmal/nonexistent as well.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Civilization IV was good for this. Also, older Frogwares Sherlock Holmes games.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Civilization IV was good for this. Also, older Frogwares Sherlock Holmes games.

Yes, but in Civ it's real background music, unrelated to the exact moment. Unlike most games, it actually benefits from people recognizing the music (as part of the era you are playing in), so it enhances the immersion rather than hindering it.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
Some weeb games use western classical music. The Catherine soundtrack was all "remixes" of famous classical pieces. Added synth, drums, electric guirars etc, but the overall arrangements stayed pretty faithful. I loved the mood of that game and the music was a big part of it. And then Eternal Sonata of course cribs a lot of Frederic Chopin compositions.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So? Are you saying that you are an animal?

"Let us say I suggest you may be human," she said. "Steady! I warn you not to try jerking away. I am old, but my hand can drive this needle into your neck before you escape me."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom