Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why Crysis still looks better than most of todays games?

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
a 2007 title that looks as good and sometimes better than todays games ?

Crysis%2004-noscale.jpg

Deleted member 7219

GTA V, Uncharted.

Not sure they do, actually. GTA V comes close, but Uncharted had small environments and was only available on console in resolutions up to 1080p... would be nice to see PC versions of those games, but I'm not holding my breath.

Gerrard

Arcane
Because you're blind.

And speaking of Crytek making new games, I'm surprised they didn't sell out to Microsoft again for Windows 10

Kontra

Educated
Man, thats a photoshop...:D Looks good doesnt it. But yeah there were no Apaches in FC, they looked like Blackhawks.

Anyway the problem with Crysis, besides the sucky AI was- not enough helicopters.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Witcher 3 is my current 'prettiest' game. Horseback riding through a forest while a storm blows overhead is pretty ridiculous on the muh immersion scale.

Metro 2033 also looks quite pretty, but I never really played it. And the GTA games always look insane once the modders start pumping them up.

Crysis looks good, but it's a bit much to say it still looks better than most games out there. IMO, it's on par with Minecraft and Unity of Command.

Raapys

Arcane
Both CPU and GPU progress stalled at around 2006-2007, after the release of the GeForce 8800GT and Intel Q6660. There's been some progress since then, but incremental rather than big jumps like those two were. Add in the facts that this was a PC-exclusive game that pushed hardware requirements for the next two years after release, that you get huge diminishing returns trying to push graphics further, and that all newer high budget graphics games are console titles, and it's not that unreasonable that it's still among the best looking games.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
A lot of modern games suck not only in terms of graphical fidelity, but even in the way graphics are utilized, and i don't mean in an aesthetic sense only (though that's a problem too), but in terms of visual vividness and coherence.

A recent example for me was Battlefield 4, a game which i thought could not be faulted graphically (and boy was i wrong). I had the chance of trying this thing a bit when they had the free week about a couple months ago, and i thought the visuals looked like a clusterfuck where graphical effects were thrown in just for the sake of quantity without any concern about the results. And worse yet the game looked like shit. Everything was shiny, blurry, washed out, and fake looking, and the overload of particle effects or what not during combat made it very hard to see anything. There was only an handful of outdoors areas that looked good.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
For one, that foliage looks very unreal, the terrain too is very flat and basic also the lighting is very unrealistic and since physically-based materials weren't a thing in 2007 everything looks very flat.

Disgruntled

Savant
Vanishing of Ethan Carter is currently on my top rank for best looking 'game'. Thanks to its heavy use of photogrammetry.

fe444f66957d.jpg

Sheer realism aside, Id give it to Alien Isolation for the art direction, attention to detail and atmosphere, that done while being probably the best optimized games ive played in the last decade.
Reasons for the stagnation have been touched on. Consoles fucked us over. Today they are catching up and the major hurdles are things in the distance and dealing with greater numbers of moving objects as well as the cpu power needed to track them.

Beowulf

Arcane
Vanishing of Ethan Carter is currently on my top rank for best looking 'game'. Thanks to its heavy use of photogrammetry.

Sheer realism aside, Id give it to Alien Isolation for the art direction, attention to detail and atmosphere, that done while being probably the best optimized games ive played in the last decade.
Reasons for the stagnation have been touched on. Consoles fucked us over. Today they are catching up and the major hurdles are things in the distance and dealing with greater numbers of moving objects as well as the cpu power needed to track them.

The biggest difference is the environmental interactivity. In Crysis the foliage reacts to objects, like characters and vehicles moving through it; you can move or destroy a lot of the objects - like palm trees, fences, tables and various clutter.
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter and Alien Isolation both have very "static" environments. Sure they look great, but it's a little disappointing that you can't interact with them - try for example shooting a shotgun in AI at a table with some small objects - nothing will move.
Now compare that to throwing a flashbang or a grenade in SWAT 4 or F.E.A.R. into a room - many things would be destroyed or moved, bottles rattled on the shelves, some fell down etc. It's true for Crysis as well.

For one, that foliage looks very unreal, the terrain too is very flat [...]

With high tessellation it looks a lot better, especially rock outcrops, this screenshot shows something opposite.

Last edited:

Beowulf

Arcane
Right, right, and what retard thought that shit looks good?

Either its too early for me to understand that kind of sarcasm (or I'm too simple man), or you just failed two [PER] checks.
One not noticing how it's a photoshop, and the second one not noticing when poster explains that it's a photoshop.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom