Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why do Codexers like KOTOR 1?

pippin

Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire
I don't see why people say this is a good game. As far as I can tell it's a clunky third person action adventure with cool vehicle sections. I hate to go off-topic but I just want to know what people see in this game.

Completely agree with you. Its only merit was the Hoth battle, even though it was almost a 1:1 recreation of the same stage from SNES' Empire Strikes Back.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Bioware figured that out too, and put twists in all their games after that for years."

Dfine plot twist. The DAs didn't really have any that were really 'twisty'. Though, in fairness, I didn't complete DA3. And, ME2 and ME3 didn't have any big 'plot twists' either. And, ME's wa sbasically the whole thing when the reapers are revealed and that was basically spoiled pre release.

So.. where all these wannabe 'epic plot twists' that BIO had. The only BIO 'plot twist' that matches it would be JE's 9which admittedly was their enxt game) and Bg where 'you are a Bhaalspawn' could qualify but that was clearly released prior to KOTOR. LMAO

Cool name

Arcane
I liked it because I was 10 or 11 years old

also because that age was in the narrow window of time when I was old enough to want to fuck girls but young enough to have a thing for a fictional character (boys in very early puberty can be forgiven this since they are hormone-addled and clueless, but past that age waifus are a srs sign of fedora turbodweebery), Bastila was my first and only waifu. hot, sorta bitchy, fun to piss off, hnnnnng

then I turned 12, played Fallout, and my eyes were opened

Falksi

Arcane
Have only ever played this through once before, and that was years ago. Didn't get to finish it either because I had my HDD crash, and never returned to it.

Just playing it again now and, whilst it's definitely been bettered by other gamessince, playing it really highights the difference in quality of games from that era compared to modern games.

I've just had to put down FF15 because it was so bad, and when you compare that to KOTOR it really becomes evident how lost some modern day devs are.

It's just the simple stuff - world building, storytelling, load times etc. - which makes such a difference. Within 3 hours of KOTOR I'm involved in a world with rebels vs sith, underground gangs, swoop races, goul plagues etc. & it really feels as if you're on an adventure. Simply because there's a lot of interesting hooks thrown out which bait you in.

Compare that to FF15 and it's frightening. 3 hours in to that and the most "exciting" thing to happen is being told I'm going for a drive.

I know the BG era games nailed a lot of these elements, but I think it's fair to say these still ran through a lot of games until the 2010-12 period. Since then though, it's almost as if just having things to do constitutes as "great", no matter how boring, pointless or aimless.

Anyway, will finish it this time, then really looking forward to playing KOTOR 2 for the first time :)

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
It was nice prequel to KOTOR II, had really cool companions like HK-47 and Bastilla was hot waifu in both librul I mean Jeddi/pro republic and when you decided to take your right full place as the Lord of Sith. Second part is miles ahead even in such details as making pazak and swoop races optional.

Falksi

Arcane
It was nice prequel to KOTOR II, had really cool companions like HK-47 and Bastilla was hot waifu in both librul I mean Jeddi/pro republic and when you decided to take your right full place as the Lord of Sith. Second part is miles ahead even in such details as making pazak and swoop races optional.

I think what's really stood out to me is just how good this is for a game even now. Had I bought it alongside FF15, and had both been released at the same time, KOTOR 1 would hands down be the superior in almost every single way significant. World, lore, story, combat, atmosphere, gamecraft, excitement etc. etc.

I loaded it up as a backup to play between FF15 & Agents of Mayhem, but both those have been binned off now, and KOTOR will take up my gaming time this weekend.

Basically even older, less liked games still wank all over the shite churned out now. It's nothing new, but I'd not realized how much mediocre then, is brilliant now.

I'd sooner invest in a "mediocre" game I never played from 10/15/20 years ago, than 95% of games released & uber-praised now.

Last edited:

kris

Arcane
Now that disney buried Star wars I would probably have liked a game in this vein even more. Sad as it is, i would rather have Bioware write Star wars movies than whoever is doing it for disney. Quite shocking.

And i didn't even like the twist, instead I liked that the game understood the spirit of Star wars.

Last edited:

Falksi

Arcane
Now that disney buried Star wars I would probably have liked a game in this vein even more. Sad as it is, i would rather have Bioware write Star wars movies than whoever is doing it for disney. Quite shocking.

And i didn't even like the twist, instead I liked that the game understood the spirit of Star wars.

The evolution from the OT to KOTOR is exactly what I'd have liked to have seen from the new trilogy.

Things such as the Sith armour, the Vibroblades (penetrating energy shields Dune stylee), and fuck me do they NAIL the score. The new-old mix of some tunes is brilliant.

When JJ & Johnson trashed everything about Star Wars and "rebooted" it, they did it in the worst way possible. KOTOR shows exactly how to evolve a previously tried, tested & loved formula.

Inziladun

Magister
I got this game back when I was younger and initially didn't like it. I went to return the game but they wouldn't take it back. So I forced myself through it and began liking the game a lot after Taris. I admit I ended up appreciating it more solely because I'm a huge Star Wars nerd. But at the time I honestly liked Star Wars Galaxies and Jedi knight: Jedi Outcast/Academy waaay more as far as Star wars games go.

Inziladun

Magister

The sad thing is that the Bioware short films for TOR are actually better than the new movies.

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
Thought it was crap, played it in like 2007 around the same time I played Kotor 2 which I also thought was crap.

Quit both roughly halfway-75% of the way through each of them then re sold on ebay. Never thought about playing them again.

Maybe if I was a kid in the 70's or early 80's I would of enjoyed star wars more for the revolutionary special effects, but being a late 80's kid I just liked the movies because most people I knew liked them and I was too young to really understand them. When I was old enough to form a proper opinion around the time the episode 1-2-3 movies were coming out I realized the old ones sucked too.

DemonKing

Arcane
I liked KOTOR better than the sequel. Apart from Kreia who was an obvious highlight there was just nothing memorable about KOTOR2 whereas I still think fondly of a lot of the KOTOR stuff:

* Korriban was a brilliantly executed location with some amazing voice acting.
* HK47
* Jennifer Hale (voice acting goddess)
* You actually could feel evil playing this game - like getting your Wookie companion to kill his best friend cute little Mission because of his life bond with you.
* Dual Lightsabers, Sith Lightning - basically any munchkin moment from the movies was open to players.

There was some misses of course, like the lame minigames and Carth's whiny voice acting but the rest was so strong it didn't matter. Sadly modern Bioware/EA would never be able to produce anything close to replicating this success so if we ever see a third game I'm sure it will be a disaster.

U-8D8

Savant
I think people praise KOTOR 1 too much, to the point where when they talk about it I wonder if I'm playing the same game. To start, the twist is overrated and doesn't actually fit the mechanics of the story they're telling. Tatooine is one of the most barren, boring places I've been to in an RPG and Kashyyyk nearly beats it with a bunch of recycled platforms masquerading as a planet. Lastly, Malak is one of the worst villains I've seen. Purely from a visual standpoint; the idea that someone saw a guy wearing a dangling loincloth over his sleeper and say, "Yea this guy's intimidating," and okayed him is both funny and scary to me. And that's just scratching the surface.

There's some good stuff, I'll admit that. But there are some really obvious flaws in it, and I cringe whenever I see someone praising it as the best RPG of all time.

U-8D8

Savant
and proved himself to be a blunt instrument of destruction.

That's KOTOR 2 talking, specifically GOTO. 1 never did go into much detail about who Revan was as a character, (which also devalues the twist) and the most substantial difference mentioned is Revan didn't use the abilities of the Star Forge as much as Malak did, which is hardly indicative of anything on it's own.

To be fair, the whole point of Malak, one even he admits, is that he is a pathetic villain/Sith.

That's only in relation to Revan, and he doesn't believe that until the proof is right in front of him in his last thirty seconds of life. Its not a character trait, its him admitting defeat. And even then, you mean the whole point of his character boils down to an overly dramatic self-eulogy after he's beaten? It's not depth. It's you showing you're better than him only for Malak to put his fingers in his ears and say "Nuh-uh!" again and again, until finally you beat him and from that he realizes the incredible factoid that, oh yeah, you are better then him.

U-8D8

Savant
I meant that the player is also supposed to come to that realization. After all, Revan was the mastermind, so Malak's actions are supposed to be cartoonishly, mindlessly evil. I remember during my first playthrough thinking exactly that" "THIS is supposed to be a Sith Lord? That guy is a Saturday morning villain whose only tactic is to kill and destroy." At first I was disappointed as hell, but after the reveal it suddenly made sense.

I understood that you meant that by your previous first post, and I think, and thought then, that you're deluding yourself into excusing bad writing.

And even if you're theory was correct, which it isn't, how is that better? The villian of the game was underwhelming as all hell but somehow doing it on purpose is okay?

Last edited:

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think people praise KOTOR 1 too much, to the point where when they talk about it I wonder if I'm playing the same game. To start, the twist is overrated and doesn't actually fit the mechanics of the story they're telling. Tatooine is one of the most barren, boring places I've been to in an RPG and Kashyyyk nearly beats it with a bunch of recycled platforms masquerading as a planet.

I agree that Kashyyyk is ugly, but I though that Tatooine looked very good, with the desert stretching in all the directions.

As for the twist, I knew in advance, so it did not matter to me, but the rest of the game is good as a star war game and had above average production values.

DemonKing

Arcane
1 never did go into much detail about who Revan was as a character, (which also devalues the twist) and the most substantial difference mentioned is Revan didn't use the abilities of the Star Forge as much as Malak did, which is hardly indicative of anything on it's own.

I thought 1 had plenty of foreshadowing regarding Revan - he/she was built up quite a lot prior to the twist reveal.

Malak was a horrible cartoon villain though, especially as the poor voice actor had to laugh evilly every second line.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
1 never did go into much detail about who Revan was as a character, (which also devalues the twist) and the most substantial difference mentioned is Revan didn't use the abilities of the Star Forge as much as Malak did, which is hardly indicative of anything on it's own.

I thought 1 had plenty of foreshadowing regarding Revan - he/she was built up quite a lot prior to the twist reveal.

Malak was a horrible cartoon villain though, especially as the poor voice actor had to laugh evilly every second line.

Which was the point of the game to contrast cartonish jaw twiching Malak with Protagonist genius as both Sith and Jedi. Of course what they did to Revan and Exile in TOR was travesty, making the former cartoonish vilan and latter the stupid good wombyn who died for nothing acting as force pawn. Its Shame that there was not third choice in Kotor II to kill yourself and free galaxy from force and hence liberate us from further Disney rape of franchise.

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
It wasn't always popular here, alot of retarded people have showed up in the past few years.

Last edited:

KK1001

Arbiter
I think that for a lot of Codexers, like myself, KOTOR was a gateway RPG that led to much better things. It came out in the awkward transition period to 3D which still plagues us.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom