Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why do Codexers like KOTOR 1?

Camel

Scholar
KotOR is an interesting game. Writing is a bit childish compared to BG, story is generic with a great twist, combat is too easy with the Jedi destroying everyone. The only memorable NPCs are evil ones like HK-47 and Canderous. Like one codexer said the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. Pity Obsidian never asked for more time from LucasArts when developing KotOR 2.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
KotOR is an interesting game. Writing is a bit childish compared to BG, story is generic with a great twist, combat is too easy with the Jedi destroying everyone. The only memorable NPCs are evil ones like HK-47 and Canderous. Like one codexer said the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. Pity Obsidian never asked for more time from LucasArts when developing KotOR 2.
pity obsidian got to 'develop' a sequel at all, it should've stayed with bioware

Camel

Scholar
SWKotOR is also the daddy of ME (which is watered down KotOR)
Exactly.
I’d like to take the opportunity to discuss the influence Knights of the Old Republic had on SWTOR.

Back in 2006, when we first discussed doing a MMORPG we threw around a lot of different ideas. We wrote up pitches for a number of other very popular intellectual properties. Some pitches never made it past BioWare, while others went a little further.

We eventually decided on a Star Wars MMORPG set in The Old Republic era. Why? It was clear that SWTOR was what our fans wanted and the obvious best choice. Knights of the Old Republic is one of the games that defined what BioWare is to modern fans. It didn’t just influence SWTOR; most of the team that worked on it went on to create the Mass Effect franchise.
James Ohlen
https://www.swtor.com/info/news/blog/20130715

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Kotor is classic Star Wars fun.
Has one of the best plot twists in gaming.
It uses a modified 3.5 D&D edition ruleset. Nothing that special.
It is good because it is accessible and made in a period when devs still gave a fuck...

NwNgger

Educated
It is good because it is accessible and made in a period when devs still gave a fuck...
To get annoyingly semantic with you. No it doesn't use 3.5 or even a modified 3.5. It uses The Star Wars Roleplaying Game rules. Which later was spun off into D20 Modern and became the basis of the OGL games using "3.5". They were all actually D20 Modern. Even the fantasy ones. Which shows you how low effort a lot of those OGL games were. Some did use 3.5. There was nothing stopping this. But a lot of these games just added filler text to copy and pasted D20 Modern rules. There are a few differences between 3.5 and WotC's Star Wars RPG to make that game more Star Warsy. Enough to distinguish it from 3.5. And then even more differences when they made it into D20 Modern and tried to do a weird Urban Fantasy version of Shadowrun with the Cyberpunk bits removed.

I do wonder what KotOR or a new Star Wars CRPG would look like if it was based around the GOAT Star Wars D6. If WEG hadn't lost the Star Wars licence this may well have happened. And that's an interesting hyperthetical game for me to speculate on. As I think it would've fit the bill of a more casual kind of CRPG better than D20.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
To get annoyingly semantic with you. No it doesn't use 3.5 or even a modified 3.5. It uses The Star Wars Roleplaying Game rules. Which later was spun off into D20 Modern and became the basis of the OGL games using "3.5". They were all actually D20 Modern. Even the fantasy ones. Which shows you how low effort a lot of those OGL games were. There are a few differences between 3.5 and WotC's Star Wars RPG to make that game more Star Warsy. Enough to distinguish it from 3.5. And then even more differences when they made it into D20 Modern and tried to do a weird Urban Fantasy version of Shadowrun with the Cyberpunk bits removed.

I do wonder what KotOR or a new Star Wars CRPG would look like if it was based around the GOAT Star Wars D6. If WEG hadn't lost the Star Wars licence this may well have happened. And that's an interesting hyperthetical game for me to speculate on. As I think it would've fit the bill of a more casual kind of CRPG better than D20.
Yeah.
Star Wars D6 awesomeness.
Still, even Saga Edition is pretty good (and has some supplements for it too).

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
KotOR 1 isn't super good. It's fine if you are looking for a Star Wars RPG, but 2 is better in all aspects that matter.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Kotor was one of the first examples of cinematic storytelling in crpgs. Where nwn failed with its characters, presentation and gameplay, kotor delievered. It was beautiful, smooth, engaging and it was Star Wars before Star Wars was ruined.

I felt transported to a galaxy far far away.

Obviously it's not 2004 anymore, the cinematic presentation has been done to death since. Without it kotor has little to offer mechanicly, and it's story is childish without the wonder enhancing it.

Last edited:

garren

Arcane
Patron
Played through it once a long time ago. Game has absolutely no redeeming qualities. Boring story, boring NPCs, combat is jank, in the end I skipped all the dialogue just to get to the last boss fast. Kotor 2 was much better, skip the first one if you wanna try the series.

kris

Arcane
I agree with most except for this. While HK-47 was the most famous one, Canderous wasn't that interesing IMO and I remember several characters more, Bastila of course. I think Jolee was more interesting than Canderous and Carth was more memorable, but maybe not for good reasons. :D

Anyway, most memorable by the general public was clearly Bastila and HK-47.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I agree with most except for this. While HK-47 was the most famous one, Canderous wasn't that interesing IMO and I remember several characters more, Bastila of course. I think Jolee was more interesting than Canderous and Carth was more memorable, but maybe not for good reasons. :D

Canderous was badass, dude.
Mandalorian war veteran and merc who kills shit and doesn't afraid of anything.

kris

Arcane

You sound like a kid. Canderous was indeed a hardass caricature, I found him boring and most of the players didn't care about him. I am not surprised a codexer would be though.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

You sound like a kid. Canderous was indeed a hardass caricature, I found him boring and most of the players didn't care about him. I am not surprised a codexer would be though.
You sound like a pretentious cunt.

kris

Arcane

You sound like a pretentious cunt.

That makes no sense in context to what I said.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom