Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why do people from RPG Codex hate video games?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/rpg/mas ... pid=930279

oh, I didn't know you guys were talking about the fae interveiw. Basically, they just showed how immature and unprofessional they are when it comes to their site. They didn't make it just for laughs, they made it to bash the game becuase well, they are idoits. I cannot see how someone can look at Mass Effect and actually think it looks bad. This is just another case of, omg that game looks awesome, we have to bash it because we'll look cool.
---
WTFOMFGBBQORLYYARLYNOWAI Mass Effect GOTY 2007. Greatest game evar - started Jan 21 2007.
I'd never heard of RPGcodex until this thread, so I took a quick look-see. That site is dripping with elitist snobbery from every pore of its being. I decide to read their "review" of KotOR. I nearly laughed out loud when the reviewer mentioned that KotOR was the first Bioware game he had ever managed to play to completion. That's just...wow.
Are you a Codexer? you have that with me or aganist me attitude, people hate "The Codexers", for thier the high and mighty way they talk about games that Many other people like, Deus Ex, Oblivion, Morrrowind, ect.
With all that hate towards the rest of the universe, it's a wonder they haven't tried to kill or bash each other yet. But those who slay together lay together, and one day RPGCodex members will all be dead, and the world will be minus a few losers. More room for people whose opinions matter.
Too funny.

Just when we're ending, some loser from RPG codex has to come in and spoil all the fun.

Look buddy, nobody likes you. And nobody cares about your stupid little turn based little known RPG's. We'll keep playing and having fun with our big name, clunky, still awesome RPG. You can have fun in your tight knit community where you play all the games that nobody hears about (in no way an insult to the two games he mentioned). I mean, you spend the entire time nitpicking on a single flaw, instead of the huge positives...

i've just read most of the comments in this topic. what is a true rpg? last time i checked rpg stood for role playing game. therefore an rpg is a game where you assume the role of a specific character (and hopefully stick to that role). besides the fact that almost everygame is in that catagory, EVERY rpg branded game is a true rpg in its literal sense. anyway enough of this, i can't see how people can get angry about OTHER people likeing games. if you don't like the game good for you, that still doens't give you a good reason to go on to a board about the game and bash it. so in short just stay on rpg codex to bash your games.
The idea that turn-based combat has any sort of sovereign place in video games is simply a relic of the days when limited technology forced it on us. I have no hatred for turn-based games, but I believe that the ultimate goal for roleplaying is to make the experience as believable as possible. When I swing a sword at someone and I SEE it hit, it had better actually register.

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
The way they describe the Codex is that we sound more like an end-game dungeon than a gaming website when they call us souless, hatefilled slayers. :lol:

Amasius

Augur
FinalSonicX said:
Vdweller, why do codexers hate such good games?

it seems like, to me at least, that you folks simply cannot allow yourself to just enjoy a game. obliivion is a great game. I definitely feel like I'm role playing my character when I'm sneaking through the underbrush, pull out my bow, and stick a guy right in the head with an arrow.

I noticed that your review chose some poor examples of the limited options in oblivion. there was one quest where you argued that you wanted to be allowed to go into the meeting and have the gang take away your weapons, armor, and clothes. this is a silly concept and it is the equivalent of allowing the same situation to happen in Dungeons and Dragons. it should be painfully obvious that the gang cannot be trusted, and to allow yourself to be completely defenseless so that you can die and be forced to either restart (if your campaign runs that way) or rerolling a new character.

Oblivion and the elder scrolls series in general is so great because it lets you do what you want. a lot of games dont allow this. many are linear plot based adventures with a fw side quests but overall they are linear. the elder scrolls series of games allow you to design your character any way you want and live in the world any way you want. In morrowind I cant tell you how much time I spent rolling up new characters just to try and act out a certain scenario that I thought would be cool. I didnt have to level up my character for several hours just to get to the good stuff, I could just jump straight into the game with a new character and start building my own set of rules within that world. imagination plays a larger part in the world than many seem to think. if oyu just take oblivion at face value, just build a character that looks nice, and you just play it, you'll only get decent results. the game wont appear to be anything more than average. however, if you really get into your character's mindset, and you start roleplaying using your imagination, there is a lot of fun to be had. oblivion is less of a structured experience. it never really gives you any directio nto focus in, so it's understandable that some people feel dissapointed in the "lack of choices". the choices are there, it's just that you have to make them yourself. the game doesnt provide any sort of structure for actually going about that.

I've never had a moment in oblivion where I wish I had a choice to change my mind during a quest.

is oblivion a perfect game? of course not, it has many flaws. but still, oblivion needs to be regarded as, at the very least, a satisfactory RPG. worth the money, and the time for any hardcore rpg gamer.
Uncle Petes brainwashing works...

neuromantik

Scholar
Sovy Kurosei said:
The way they describe the Codex is that we sound more like an end-game dungeon than a gaming website when they call us souless, hatefilled slayers. :lol:
You are a bunch of soulless, hatefilled slayers... that's the primary reason why I finally stopped lurking and just made an account.

psycojester

Arbiter
Whoever gc051360 your going a great job with that retard. But your making one mistake you keep refering to them and choices and consequences. This guy only wants choices he's offended by the idea his actions/inaction might have some form of repercussion

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
That thread absolutely amazes me. Has the overall IQ gone down that much? Is the movie Idiocracy becoming a sick, sad reality?

START BREEDING, SMART PEOPLE. DON'T LET THE STUPID ASSHOLES OF THE WORLD TAKE OVER!!!!

gc051360

Scholar
psycojester said:
Whoever gc051360 your going a great job with that retard. But your making one mistake you keep refering to them and choices and consequences. This guy only wants choices he's offended by the idea his actions/inaction might have some form of repercussion

I know. His response to my idea of "maybe you can trick them, or be tricked, or get out of the fight somehow based on your character" was "They want to kill you." Brilliance.

Lord Chambers

Erudite
Country_Gravy said:
That thread absolutely amazes me. Has the overall IQ gone down that much? Is the movie Idiocracy becoming a sick, sad reality?

START BREEDING, SMART PEOPLE. DON'T LET THE STUPID ASSHOLES OF THE WORLD TAKE OVER!!!!
A fine example of what gets passed on the Codex daily without people going "holy fucking shit, that is completely ungrounded and emotional."

Hi, my name is Codex, I pretend all my mandates are rational and based in intellectualism. I ignore my nostalgia and distrust all that is new, though I, in theory, have the ability to appreciate the good in it. Fundamental to my happiness is the belief that I am somehow wiser or more intelligent than the mass of gamers. I defend this belief daily with my critical thinking skills, though I don't question the meaning of having my position inextricably linked to being smart (and that to disagree is automatically to be stupid). Blinders sminders, I'm the Codex, I played Ultima <insert> and you're an idiot.

The_Pope

Scholar
I hate videogames because they suck. I will stop hating them when they stop sucking.

Chork

Scholar
Woetohice said:
Hey VD (since you seem to be in charge of the 'Codex lately...haven't seen Saint around ever since his mysterious resurrection), have you ever considered putting a "New to the RPGCodex?" section that links to Project Monkey as well as tubgirl and such to prepare newbs about this site?
A better idea would be to redirect all page requests originating from ESF/Gamespot/whatever to a Last Measure mirror.

bylam

Funcom
Developer
I just love it when people say that instead of complaining we should make our own game... I take that as an opportunity to point people to Age of Decadence.
Then the argument about teh graphiks begins!

serch

Magister
bylam said:
I just love it when people say that instead of complaining we should make our own game... I take that as an opportunity to point people to Age of Decadence.

Yes, ironically, Iron-Tower has become the quest-compass or auto-win button for the everyday codexer troll.

bylam

Funcom
Developer
serch said:
bylam said:

Yes, ironically, Iron-Tower has become the quest-compass or auto-win button for the everyday codexer troll.

:roll: If you don't understand the context, it isn't my job to explain it to you.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
The question still remains.. why do you care about what epople who post elsewhere think of the site? It seems silly to worry.

And, if you ar wodnering why I'm not bugging them about why theyc azre about what the Codex thinks; the answer should be obvious.. I don't care what they think. I think I've posted a handful of times at Gamespot. If I cared, I'd post there.

R00fles!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom