Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why do you guys think about MMORPGs, and how they compare to RPGs?

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Why do we need these pissing contests?

All of these games are good if you're in the mood for them.
This wasn't intended to be a pissing contest at all. And Skyrim is not good in any mood. Nor are most action RPG I've played, and it is mostly because of the combat. And yet the combat is done really well in a bunch of MMOs. Take the combat and classes from a good MMO and put it in single player action RPGs, and it would be amazing. There is no good reason for this to not be done. The only reason games like Witcher 3, Skyrim, Two Worlds 2, etc.. all have crappy combat, is because their audience will buy it anyway. If the audience was more educated in the better types of gameplay out there, the half-assery would not be accepted. Console gamers have an excuse, you PC RPG players do not.

Also the fact that Dark Souls is being mentioned in this thread as a pinnacle of action RPG gaming is a really fucking sad reflection of "RPG codex".

J1M

Arcane
Here's a theory for the OP.

MMOs are big games. It is generally intended that each player only sees a small fraction of the player character options first-hand. It is basically expected that they will try things until they find something decent and then stick with that 'main' character. A standard action RPG single-player game has a set character or a very small number of choices to pick from. Without the allure of recurring revenue, there isn't incentive to go really wide in that part of the design.

The extremely wide design space of the MMO characters leaves more room for things to make it into the wild without being sanitized by conflicting feedback and testing. The designers are also more likely to be accepting of a design that some people hate. With regards to your wow example, not every class was like the druid. In comparison, the rogue, warrior, mage, and priest that the druid was a hybrid of were more one-dimensional.

Finally, the reason you remember that encounter is related, in a non-trivial way, to the fact that you knew the character you were pouncing on was controlled by a real human. An AI opponent would not inject the thrill of besting your fellow man.

Last edited:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
All that is true, but I can still remember fights in EQ from almost 20 years ago, and that was an AI. There were a few well known named mobs that someone used to attack and it would kill them and it would then end up rampaging through the area killing anyone it saw. People would shout in chat, "HELP!" and "D'Vinn heading to entrance!!!!" Or "Sand Giant to docks!" PVP definitely gives things more impact but it can be fun with AI too. But that is more to do with the world design and how powerful these named mobs were. They were just impossible to solo most of the time.

But what inspired this thread is thinking about the stuff I did solo. As a Necro I would invis and fight to a balcony quite deep in a dungeon called Karnor. I would find some undead that were very strong, and charm one. It would fight for me and the charm spell would break randomly, leaving 2 mobs chasing me and each could kill me in 3 seconds. I would have to use every trick to get them under control again fast and try to repeat the process until the charmed one killed the other one. Then I would break the charm and kill my injured pet. Sometimes my pet would struggle to kill the other enemy so I would have to help with healing or slowing the enemy or damaging the enemy to make sure my pet wins. I also had to drain life from them to keep me alive because a few hits would kill me and to boost my mana I also had to drain my life. I also had to keep levitation enabled all the time and the gate spell ready in case things went wrong, I would jump off the balcony and gate myself to safety before I floated to the ground and got instantly ganked. I remember a bunch of things like this, from 17 years ago. Yet I can't remember a single fight from Skyrim I played in June.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
MMORPG mechanics can destroy any fun for me in a game with otherwise interesting setting and/or story. Proven multiple times in Star Trek Online, Star Wars: The Old Republic, The Secret World (also Legends) and others.

EDIT: I've added "RPG" part in MMORPG to be clear.

Last edited:
MMO mechanics can destroy any fun for me in a game with otherwise interesting setting and/or story. Proven multiple times in Star Trek Online, Star Wars: The Old Republic, The Secret World (also Legends) and others.

that's because there are infact tropes of MMO mechanics. But it's not "its" fault.

an MMO should just be an environment of life-like interaction. You can cut wood, cook bread, sew stuff, collect plants, mine, etc etc. Then you apply trops from a license.

So a Warhammer Online game would be a simple simulation to which you add warhammer things from the TT game.

Same as a hypothetical star trek mmo. Just life, plus you live in a ship and do your job. In that case usually you don't become a lumberjack so they'd exclude, filter, some aspects of life. A license then is a filter to a simulation, and you got yourself a MMO.

that's why the genre MMO has a limitless potential. Because its trope is "giving life" to a, say, book or tvshow. MMo's are like Frankenstein.

Last edited:

bluntedsword

Barely Literate
Asks about how RPGs compare to MMORPGs, then just lists ARPGs.

I think the OP has bizarro dementia

I see your WoW and EQ examples and say; Divinity OS 1 & 2? Underrail ? Pillars ?

Those are RPGs and they compare to your MMOs like the Falcon does to the duck (which is lame).

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Dark Souls is a dumb hack n slash game for dude bro teens on a console. Sorry to break it to you.

TAKE

THAT

BACK

f4880b43d80c204eb501f48a0a84e79c.jpg

-|-(o)-|XxDArK_SaSuK3xX|-(o)-|

bluntedsword

Barely Literate
Reading is for faggots, I sensed the wrongness inside you.

Most MMOs are noob tier when it comes to movement, no amount of hotkeys fix that you are just standing in one spot hitting number key rotations.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
So you are one of those dimwit kids who think diving all over the place somehow means you are skilful. Got it. That is pretty much what GW2 was made for, and WoW's dance dance revolution raids.

i don't get what the problem is. If a MMO has a ruleset with characters developing, then it's MMORPG.

Their relation with rpg's is mostly historical. See Ultima. Problem solved.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Never played one in my life, and proud of it. I prefer not to place myself in situations where a renter wants to peddle me stuff in intervals. Granted games are a pure luxury, but it's still of-putting. I may have missed several good games, but i certainly missed several annoying psychological manipulations and 'community' bull.

Never played one in my life, and proud of it. I prefer not to place myself in situations where a renter wants to peddle me stuff in intervals. Granted games are a pure luxury, but it's still of-putting. I may have missed several good games, but i certainly missed several annoying psychological manipulations and 'community' bull.

You're right as long as you don't blame the whole genre for that.

otherwise i play Skyrim and am allowed to hate all rpg's.

ah i get it. It's like racism. If a thief is white, we blame a person. If the thief is black, we blame the race.

Last edited:

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
As was mentioned, MMO aren't a 'genre'. They're a model of people selling stuff for you, replacing parts of the 'actual game' with a community of larpers and enforcing a 'participation model' by making your pc not powerful enough to do high tier stuff alone. None of the highs (higher difficulty, puzzle collaboration battles) are enticing and the lows (shitheads on the party and out, being pressured to fulfill a role of dps/tank/healer/whatever, nickel and diming, loot farms, balance obsession - unless you pay, +1 equipment, ad model, etc etc) are more than enough to avoid them forever.

Last edited:
i still don't get it.

Ultima Online had none of that, neither does Mortal Online afaik. They are MMORPG. Why blame the whole genre, for certain faults i'm not even sure i understand.

you're talking about little things to buy in game? Like a better sword or a blue mount?

The last MMO i played had done away with levels, with instances, with tiers (which i don't even know what they are), with quests, even with items that are not craftable. It was a MMORPG. It had a simple old school month sub.

So - why - hate - the - genre?

Last edited:
To say MMORPG is not a genre, it's a business model, is like saying that eggs are a business model for fetish lovers of hens.

There IS a MMORPG genre. It's a persistantly online environment, populated by players who interact in it in various ways, at the creators' discretion. Also, if it's a mmoRPG, it needs to have characters that grow in someway.

that's the whole genre. Then they can add whatever they want, business stuff, themepark tropes, levels, items bindable, tiers.

so again you blame the "race" instead of blaming individuals.

Last edited:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Gylfi is right, there are plenty of shitty MMOs that are only interested in milking every penny, but the whole genre is not like that. It is also more of a recent trend.

i don't get what the problem is. If a MMO has a ruleset with characters developing, then it's MMORPG.

The problem is that MMORPGs often have really good combat but you have to play them online with other people who are annoying, and you have to do quest grinds because they want you to play the game as long as possible. Single player RPGs have shit combat but nobody getting in your way and minimal grinding because they don't care how long you play.

An obvious solution would be to put good MMO combat in a good single player game. That would be great.... But it doesn't get done, and I think this thread proves why. (Because people are plebs).

Suicidal

Arcane
The problem with most MMOs is that even if the combat system itself is decent the content you use this combat system to beat is dogshit. Simplistic dungeons that offer little more than a collection of rooms each filled with enemies, banal enemies that are barely different from each other and barely pose a threat to your character, whose sole purpose in life is to be farmed for XP, boring repetitive quests. Usually, the only challenging parts are raids, which are too much of a hassle to get going and are not all that interesting in my opinion, and PVP, which is usually the main reason I play MMOs for.

bloodlover

Arcane
I think it's kind of like comparing apples to oranges. MMO's have strength in the online/community part where classic games have it in their narrative, questing and story. Or at least they should if they were not sucky like most are these days.

Discussing the differences in combat is rather pointless since that's not really a thing that defines the game. And besides, some people might hate the combat in Skyrim that is supposed to be so great.

I see MMOs loosing mostly in the story and gameplay department since they can;t have c&c. An MMO is more or less focused on combat where a good RPG can make minimal use of it.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
The problem with most MMOs is that even if the combat system itself is decent the content you use this combat system to beat is dogshit. Simplistic dungeons that offer little more than a collection of rooms each filled with enemies, banal enemies that are barely different from each other and barely pose a threat to your character, whose sole purpose in life is to be farmed for XP, boring repetitive quests. Usually, the only challenging parts are raids, which are too much of a hassle to get going and are not all that interesting in my opinion, and PVP, which is usually the main reason I play MMOs for.
That's true of most of the modern ones but you really ought to play EverQuest. It has the best dungeons you will ever find in any game. And the toughest mobs. And great content.

Gylfi is right, there are plenty of shitty MMOs that are only interested in milking every penny, but the whole genre is not like that. It is also more of a recent trend.

The problem is that MMORPGs often have really good combat but you have to play them online with other people who are annoying, and you have to do quest grinds because they want you to play the game as long as possible. Single player RPGs have shit combat but nobody getting in your way and minimal grinding because they don't care how long you play.

An obvious solution would be to put good MMO combat in a good single player game. That would be great.... But it doesn't get done, and I think this thread proves why. (Because people are plebs).

-i don't mind how combat is, as long as it doesn't have cool down moves that have the char shoot purple fire and twist.
-MMO's are online, so everyone has to deal with people, but if the game's not a themepark clone it'll attract many good persons, and even deathmatch lunatics will turn into good humans (if not actually roleplayers!).
-I don't want quests in my MMORPGs, so i don't have to deal with fed-ex gameplay. I played Mortal Online, there were no quests. Just me, mining peacefully, reading books to learn skills, and crafting. It was so good to study all combinations of ORE and gemstones.
-"you have to play as long as possible" is a justifiable thing. I'd aim to do that if i designed a MMO, it's natural that i want you ro play a lot in my game. It's forgivable.

Sure, single players' have that. But i want to be in a live world, so i accept training. I grinded in Ultima Online, i grind IR/L, no? If it happens IR/L, a MMO can do it

I'm really not interested in combat, im lousy at it. I liked it in UO (i liked watching other ppl do it, i also had lousy connection back then so i just couldn't fight), there was just a *THUD* sound of it according to your weapon, the speed of each weapon's attack affected how you would move tactically around the foe, thudding, then running away then thudding again (for example a halberd had a couple of seconds of rest before you'd hit again so you'd run away tactically).

i remember fighting with a clan in MO. They fought and stuff, i ran around yelling REPENT!!! at people. They killed me so many times, i kept laughing, so much fun. I don't trhink rpg's, or MMO's, are there so you can powerplay and have an efficient warmachine. I'm not interested in meta-gaming.

But as i said, as long as it has no cool down moves, i hate those. Mortal Online had simple FPS action, no levels just percentages. It worked. It was a MMORPG. So again why blame MMORPG's for the themepark standards?

Last edited:
so i see no reason to complain about a genre, when we should protest against stupid games.

until something good comes up (maybe Star Citizen?) i picture the MMO of my dreams, an either fantasy or sci-fi complete mega simulation, where there's so much freedom i can be a politician and in turn be crowned, backstabbing rivals and superiors, becoming a general that has to lead armies of real players. Serious stuff, realistic stuff, so much for "raids" and dungeons and cool-down combat. That's gamey trash for toddlers.

Let's. Get. Serious. i am an old man for god sake :)

I want a complete Warhammer 40k absolutely realistic ultra simulation, folks, where i can become a, i dunno, a scribe and it takes me two days just to explore a 150-story library-city inside a building, and to gain skills i have to study actual books. Levels! Yeah right, DING! GRATS! heh

Last edited:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
But as i said, as long as it has no cool down moves, i hate those. Mortal Online had simple FPS action, no levels just percentages. It worked. It was a MMORPG. So again why blame MMORPG's for the themepark standards?
Um that's like not what this thread is about, at all.

There is no MMO equivalent of a good turn based RPG, but in terms of action RPGs, I think MMOs are miles ahead of any single player game. My favorites are EverQuest and Vanguard and the latter has the best classes I've ever seen, most of the other MMOs disappoint me too much. But I did play WoW for a month and I think the Druid in that game is probably the best thing I've ever played.

*snip*

Yet I like the single player experience. I like being the only hero in the world, the one who drives the story forward, without other people running around getting in my way etc. In an ideal world I would have a nice big open world single player RPG like Witcher 3 or that Mordor Ubisoft game, but instead of terrible combat, I could play as a WoW Druid or an EverQuest Enchanter or Necromancer etc. To me that would be the greatest gaming experience. But it never happens.

What do you think about this? I know a lot of people look down their noses at MMOs and I can understand why, but by this point you must have at least seen some of the great classes they have on those games. Don't you feel cheated when you get a single player RPG like Skyrim and end up running around squirting your one crappy fire spell at dumb easy to kill enemies? I do, very cheated.
Good topic--comparing MMORPGs to RPGs and action-RPGs, right?

There're two ways for me to respond. I can comment about how much I agree with your evaluation of druid/enchanter/jack-of-all-trades classes. I can also comment about the differences between MMORPG and SPRPGs.

I've known for a long time I like jack-of-all-trades. This doesn't mean I want to be overpowered. The ranger was the first class I played in Everquest for more than a level or two. I played a ranger in 1999 for 13 days /played. I came back in 2001 and created a new ranger on Sullon Zek and that's where i remained until 2008 when I transferred to blue. I enjoyed being able to play like a warrior and yet having druid spells. I could kite if needed because root and snare and my bow and spells. Tracking and sow and invisibility and sneak enabled a lot of exploration. I could patch heal on occasion and buffing others helped me to express my social nature. I suffered in groups however and rangers were known for being gimp in that realm. This was the cost I had long expected for my hybrid nature. I tried playing simpler classes like rogues or warriors, but I always felt like there wasn't enough diversity in the things I did. It's like the difference between a shadowknight and wizard in dps role. A shadowknight is using more methods to deliver dps, whereas a wizard uses fewer. I always prefer doing it in varied ways.

I understand the joy of being able to, as you say "some heals, nukes, damage over time, buffs, etc. But at higher levels it can polymorph into a bear, a lion, or a moonkin". All these things allow you to adjust to the situation and it makes you feel involved. It's not simply a matter of mashing the same buttons repeatedly. No, you have to look at the circumstances and only use abilities pertaining to them. Like you said, at the end of the PvP fight, you'd transform to the Moonkin. You didn't do this just at any time, but at the end of a PvP fight. I'm glad you mention Necromancers and Enchanters from Evequest. They're good examples. Did you have any crowd control abilities on your WoW druid? I know you mention enjoying EQ enchanters, so it'd make sense this would make the gameplay even more diverse. That's what this is about! It's about replacing repetitive gameplay with circumstance gameplay. This doesn't require classes be jack-of-all-trades, but in many MMO's expert classes fail to deliver this diversity. The result is dual-classing or multi-classing can add a lot of diversity to the gameplay. It's not overpowering if the MMO is designed to handle it. My only concern is maybe some MMO's are created for people who DON'T want diverse gameplay? Indeed, sometimes I think most players want diverse story and environment and more rewards, but don't care as much about diverse gameplay. Diverse gameplay requires alertness and maybe most players are lazy that way?

Everquest, in its first couple years, was unique in the many balancing mechanisms it used. Monks had weight limits, Iksars couldn't wear plate, small race armor weighed less, ogres were superior warriors but had terrible faction and exp penalty, humans had bad night vision, human cultural armor was cheapest, small races could fit into small spaces, on and on--and these kinds of things were used to balance!! These mechanisms were blurry. Everquest, sadly, removed some of these things as it matured. Many MMO companies have veered away from blurriness to achieve more exact balancing. Sometimes this is good because balancing methods can be inappropriate for too many players, but I think it ultimately waters down the potential exploration and reward when companies are too concerned wiht being exact.

Lastly, I'll look at the differences between MMORPGs and RPGs. My impression has always been single player RPGs have more meat on their bones but no social or competitive nature. If you want to make a fair comparison to something like WoW or Rift, you shouldn't be using examples like Skyrim. Skyrim is more about the open world exploration than it's RPG. Skyrim is hte modern trend of companies making open world exploration and attaching "RPG" to the box. Anybody who's a longtime RPG player will know there're actual RPGs out there. I'm not a modern player, but I'd point to Baldur's Gate 2, Planescape, Fallout 2, Mass Effect 1/2, The Witcher, Fallout: New Vegas, Alpha Protocol and others.

Try out this list:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/rpg-codexs-top-50-crpgs-results-and-reviews.89680/

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom