Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why do you think people will buy your game?

Reason

Novice
http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk ... 91&page=19

that game looks like an awful school project
Good ideas, however, are no match for small budgets or lack of artistic talent, most unfortunately.
All I'm saying is that this game's premise and design gets me much more excited than anything I read about, say, Dragon Age (http://www.computerandvideogames.com....php?id=157660 ). I'm also saying a small budget and bad art will also probably deter me from even trying it, as I do have standards that range across the board

Your ideas are good, VD, I'll give you that, but don't you realize that nobody will play a game that looks as shitty as AoD? It's just sad, man. You should have joined a real game company like Bioware or Obsidian. You are just wasting your time now.

So a few - far less than half, as far as I can see - fine folks aren't going to buy it because it isn't shiny and they can't afford to have all the dialogue read by Patrick Stewart? Perhaps such folks would be better off hanging around here.
Though VD joning Bioware would indeed by Extreme, and I sincerely hopes he takes his design talents to the limit by making the move.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Ahahaahaha. Quarter to Three? Are you kidding me? What, you typed in "slobbering console fanbois" into google and that's what you got?

Selective reading HOOOOO

Monolith

Prophet
Reason said:
http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk/showthread.php?t=33091&page=19

that game looks like an awful school project
Good ideas, however, are no match for small budgets or lack of artistic talent, most unfortunately.
All I'm saying is that this game's premise and design gets me much more excited than anything I read about, say, Dragon Age (http://www.computerandvideogames.com....php?id=157660 ). I'm also saying a small budget and bad art will also probably deter me from even trying it, as I do have standards that range across the board

Your ideas are good, VD, I'll give you that, but don't you realize that nobody will play a game that looks as shitty as AoD? It's just sad, man. You should have joined a real game company like Bioware or Obsidian. You are just wasting your time now.
Jeff Vogel's games look by far worse and yet they exsist, are bought and played. Strange world, isn't it? :roll:

The Idiot

Novice
Is it THE desslock in that thread (page 22)? Because this is hilarious:
Interesting. One of the reasons so many older RPG fans are so passionate about Oblivion is because it's basically, finally, a worthwhile successor to Ultima VII -- the game that, for many of us, is our favourite game of all time. It was pretty damn frustrating having to wait almost 15 years for a game to finally emulate (and top) Ultima VII's design in so many ways -- I honestly was beginning to doubt if we'd ever get another game to pick up the Ultima baton (still feel the same way about FreeSpace 2 and Star Control 2) because even though Black Isle/Troika/BioWare have produced some great RPGs, none of them advanced Ultima's design style (it really took the Gothic games, in addition to Oblivion, to do so).

Dhruin

Liturgist
It's a niche game for a niche audience - simple as that. In comparative terms to a BioWare game, noone will buy it - but VD knows that, and that's exactly why the project is scaled to (hopefully) work on this budget.

If VD joined BioWare (assuming they'd have each other): big budget = big risks = risk aversion strategies = design philosophies for large audiences = no sign of the ideas you think are currently good.

Don't you get that? Everything is always a compromise. Those fancy graphics are paid for by big sales numbers from wide audiences.

Top Hat

Scholar
This is the first time in my life where I know that "listening to Reason" is a bad idea.

spacemoose

Erudite
reason, if you are serious - AoD is not a game for people who liked Oblivion. there are plenty of Oblivions on the market already. it is for people who miss having real consequences for their actions in rpgs. I know its hard to imagine that for some people great visual realism and visceral combat take a back seat to tactics and 'choices and consequences (tm)' or as its lovingly referred to here: C&C

Rohit_N

Prophet
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I do have standards that range across the board
A game's gotta have HDR, I guess. :roll:

What made Fallout great to me, though, wasn't just the core gameplay (of which much was admittedly clunky and unintuitive), it was the entire package of dialogue, story, wit, tactics, choice, freedom, etc. It's a tall order.
:sigh: :(

If bethesda makes an FPS Fallout, every NMA member will buy it and play it regardless of how much they will claim to hate it.
Nah, they'll pirate/avoid it.
Obviously it should look exactly like Wasteland.
Because we hate good graphics. :roll:

I'd play it.
So would I. :D

Cycloptis

Scholar
Reason said:

The reason he wouldn't even entertain the idea would be because his ideas would basically be like tears in the rain.

All puns and references were intended.

Kotario

Liturgist
The real problem with Age of Decadence for Quarter to Three is that it has been associated with the NMA/RPG Codex crowd. With their fanatical (and hypocritical) hate of our communities, many of them automatically decide to despise AoD.

The members of Quarter to Three for some strange reason have decided to make NMA their sworn enemy or some such rubbish, and perhaps RPG Codex as well. It is interesting (well, not really) that even as they hold themselves as above our poor lot, they show no more reason or composure than we can manage. However, if you are looking for low slung insults and tired lines of debate, Quarter to Three is the place to be!

Zomg

Arbiter
Obviously the first reply of the thread should have been toothy pig blowjobs, then silence. However, while QT3 is a fat guy with a backwards baseball cap on, that kind of insult was brought out in the context of that 76 part apologia NMA has been putting out. I'd be snippy too.

Nedrah

Erudite
I enjoy reading Quarter to three from time to time, there are a few pretty intelligent people posting there, depending on the game at hand the discussions can be interesting.
I just don't rely on their advice for my crpgs.
Everything else is nothing but in/outgroup bickering.

DarkSign

Erudite
Kotario said:
The real problem with Age of Decadence for Quarter to Three is that it has been associated with the NMA/RPG Codex crowd. With their fanatical (and hypocritical) hate of our communities, many of them automatically decide to despise AoD.

The members of Quarter to Three for some strange reason have decided to make NMA their sworn enemy or some such rubbish, and perhaps RPG Codex as well. It is interesting (well, not really) that even as they hold themselves as above our poor lot, they show no more reason or composure than we can manage. However, if you are looking for low slung insults and tired lines of debate, Quarter to Three is the place to be!

Well can you blame them for hating NMA? I mean come on. Rosh probably pulled some of his bullshit or the elite circlejerk over there prolly did their usual and QtT is responding in kind. Unfortunately AoD doesnt deserve the brunt of all that merely for being made by someone who's tangentally included in the Fallout community.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Someone made an AoD thread there, introducing the game, and the reaction was mostly favourable:
Possible Super Badass Indie RPG

Of course, some people will dislike the game for one reason or another, but that was expected. Anyway...

Reason said:
...but don't you realize that nobody will play a game that looks as shitty as AoD?
Well, I know it won't be a bestseller and it won't make me rich, that's for sure. I'm making a game I've always wanted to play. The "how well would it sell" factor didn't influence the design process at all. Of course, I want to make games for a living, but I want to make games like AoD for a living. So, if people want to play such games, they'll vote with their money. If they vote "no", well, at least I tried and did something I really wanted to.

You should have joined a real game company like Bioware or Obsidian.
Look at JE Sawyer, for example. I think that he's a talented designer, who has a lot of great ideas, but, unfortunately, the only way to share his ideas with the players is to make an unofficial mod in his spare time. Now, THAT is sad. It's a true fucking testament to what the industry has become.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom