Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why do you think people will buy your game?

Stalagmite

Scholar
My money is yours VD, I know you wont let us down.

Nedrah

Erudite
MountainWest said:
@VD: Why don't you update the screenshots at ITS homepage? You've shown us much better ones.

Agreed.
Unfortunately most people aren't going to judge the game by the contents of this forum.

The Sawyer thing is pretty sad - and in a way pathetic - indeed.

Greatatlantic

Erudite
Why do you think people will buy your game?

Because its BLOODY AWESOME!!!!?

That might have something to do with it, just a thought. Really now, what else am I suppose to get excitted about? Crackdown? HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Oh, and Witcher. I'd say Dragon Age, but its Bioware and Vaporware.

golgotha

Liturgist
It got a much better response <A href="http://rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33875522">here</a>.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
More prophecies in this thread. It started as a nice party dedicated to the Year in Review article:
http://forums.3drealms.com/vb/showthread.php?t=24577

If RPG's are dead then why does that steaming pile of angry nerds [RPG Codex] still exist?

The best way to make a statement? Just shut the site down. That would show'em, that would show'em all! (and we'd never again receive links and quotes from there)
...and then moved to Oblivion, Gothic 3, and AoD:

So Vault Dweller's making his own RPG, is he? I can't wait until he sees his "perfect" game skewered by an overly cynical public. Perhaps it'll finally dawn on him that game development isn't as easy as he thinks.
Never claimed it was easy.

It's even more ironic to think that the Codex will likely be the hardest on Vault Dweller's freshmen effort despite the fact that they're the kind of people he's trying hardest to please!
Et tu, Brutus?

If Oblivion is a "dumbed down" rpg then i pray that im never cursed with having to play what rpgcodex considers a true rpg.
This one is just plain funny.

Give me a break. That [Oblivion] review was a joke. Frankly, they could have written it before even playing the game because it was basically a checklist of all the things the Codex bitched about prior to the game being released.
Doesn't that simply mean that our criticism was justified? That the game turned out exactly as we predicted based on all the info available, thus proving every "u can't judge teh gaem until u plaed it!!!" moron wrong?

I just think Vault Dweller is going to be in for one hell of a rude awakening when he releases his finished work into the overwhelmingly negative atmosphere he helped create.
Sucks to be me then.

Oblivion and Gothic 3 might share the same weaknesses, but it has been my impression that they do not share the same strengths, which is why Gothic 3's weaknesses are counted so strongly against it.
*rolls eyes*

Oblivion follows in the direction of the original "RPG", the rogue-like number cruncher that appeared even before Rogue did. You travel around, kill stuff, and get stronger, and fight stronger enemies. Dialogue and decisions didn't matter. Being everything but the kitchen sink, Oblivion DOES have some choices that matter, but it doesn't focus on this; it focuses on everything else.
You just listed every reason why I think Oblivion is a great RPG.
Well, to each his own.

Monolith

Prophet
VD, that's just creepy.

BTW, perhaps you should consider posting in some of those threads. Right now they seem to be dead. Revive them. Free publicity. That is just what you need. The way it looks the game will turn out to be great anyway.

Vault Dweller

Developer
I was going to, since that Aegeri girl was fighting the local stupidity so valiantly, but my registration link (that was emailed to me) didn't work, and I decided that emailing an admin and asking for help is too much work.

I always pay attention to AoD-related discussions (I monitor hits), and sometimes I join discussions, especially when people have questions.
http://zonaforo.meristation.com/foros/v ... p?t=654169

Sometimes it backfires though. A guy asked me to make an introduction post, which I did. See the reaction, it's comically amusing:
http://forums.rpgdx.net/viewtopic.php?p=20882

Seriously, this is one of the worst-looking rpgs I've seen in some time. The 2D artwork on the web page looks so much better than the 3D artwork in the screenshots that I have to wonder why you aren't doing the game itself in that style. For that matter, since it's already a text-heavy game, you could go the all-text route and eliminate graphics entirely.
A predictable reaction, now look at what he posted as shining examples of better graphics:

http://rpgdx.net/showgame.php?project_id=249
http://rpgdx.net/showgame.php?project_id=143
http://rpgdx.net/showgame.php?project_id=26

When I think of a good-looking 2D RPG I think Baldur's Gate, not what you've shown me.
Are you serious? Because Baldur's Gate, while looking better than your game, is still one of the worst-looking 2D rpgs I've ever played. I don't think further discussion would be productive at this point, since our aesthetic senses are obviously incompatible.
Bizzaro Land.

Kotario

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
Sometimes it backfires though. A guy asked me to make an introduction post, which I did. See the reaction, it's comically amusing:
http://forums.rpgdx.net/viewtopic.php?p=20882
Rainer Deyke is a depressing example of humanity. Having the game be dark in a very specific circumstance (such as inside a room at night without any source of light, as is the case in his example) is not only annoying, but a basis to state the entire game is too dark? Of course when he brings forth this eye-bleeding example as the style he prefers, it starts to come together. But the RPGDX community does not seem to be good match for AoD to start with.

DarkSign, you have a personal axe to grind in regards to NMA. In any case, it doesn't explain their (or at least a strong central core of the QtT community) hatred of RPG Codex. More than anything, it goes back to a basic hatred of communities they perceive to be made up of misguided "fanboys." At this point many of them stop thinking, and refuse to be drawn into any real discussion. The majority never progress past profusely slinging mud, much of it without any basis in reality. I believe enough examples of this behavior have been previously pointed out in this thread.

Texas Red

Whiner
I suggest avoiding all of the retardo filled forums since they can send you in to dementia due to annoyance. Cant understand how you people can stand to read them preteen ramblings. You must have huge cojones.

aries202

Erudite
VD

I for one am looking forward to your game.

It looks good, and by that I mean that the story,
and the characters as well as the TB combat looks good.

And please bear in mind that VD's game, Age of Destruction has the sort of visual presentation
(graphics) that was used in games 5 or 10 years ago. This is just to say that I, personally, don't think the visuals are that important in a game if the gameplay, the story and the characters are very interesting, intriguing and challenging.

DarkSign

Erudite
Kotario said:
Vault Dweller said:
DarkSign, you have a personal axe to grind in regards to NMA. In any case, it doesn't explain their (or at least a strong central core of the QtT community) hatred of RPG Codex. More than anything, it goes back to a basic hatred of communities they perceive to be made up of misguided "fanboys." At this point many of them stop thinking, and refuse to be drawn into any real discussion. The majority never progress past profusely slinging mud, much of it without any basis in reality. I believe enough examples of this behavior have been previously pointed out in this thread.

There are enough people that have complained about NMA for my personal opinions to be just about true. Do a forum search for Roshambo and see how many people got drilled without any semblance of logic, but merely a group of elitists backing their own clique up. The Codex is different in that there is no hivemind congratulating each other profusely. We'd just as soon tear down someone here whose opinion is respected merely for the RPG cred.

It's a shame we're seen that way though. There's just no getting through to people who think that Oblivion is anything other than a steaming pile of 1's and 0's.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Vault Dweller said:
More prophecies in this thread. It started as a nice party dedicated to the Year in Review article:
http://forums.3drealms.com/vb/showthread.php?t=24577

Mountain Man said:
RPGCodex is nothing but a bunch of elitist, pessimistic wankers. I occasionally visit the site but only because their childish tirades make me laugh.

"[Mountain Man] is a ruthless, argumentative bastard, but he has some tact and he generally avoids making bold statements without offering some evidence."
-Mongorian
Words fail me.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Elhoim said:
Reason already left the Codex a long time ago...

I propose we name him Troll of the Year 2k7. Seriously. 1 post, 43 replies. That's hella trollin', man.

Hella.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Definitely some quality trolling. I hope the man takes pride in his work.

Krafter

Scholar
Vault Dweller said:
Look at JE Sawyer, for example. I think that he's a talented designer, who has a lot of great ideas, but, unfortunately, the only way to share his ideas with the players is to make an unofficial mod in his spare time. Now, THAT is sad. It's a true fucking testament to what the industry has become.
Great point, Vault Dweller, though it makes me sad.

As a guy who has been playing games since Space Invaders came out, graphics have no bearing on what I play and what I like. I don't care if you use Tetris blocks for characters in the game, if it's a good RPG then I'll like it. Simple as that.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Nice little trolling.

Interesting point in one of the retarded threads VD linked too though. If this game turns out to be not as good as we're hoping, this forum will not be above sharpening our knives and cutting the game to pieces. So, make the game work, bitch!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom