Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why do you think people will buy your game?

sabishii

Arbiter
The graphics are fine. They're almost at the level of NWN1, if not slightly better. Maybe they're just complaining about the old basic-looking interface.

spacemoose

Erudite
I'm waiting for official screens with Elhoim's interface before I start evangelizing and pimping AoD on every forum and IRL

dagorkan

Arbiter
Some wannabe faggot said:
It's just sad, man. You should have joined a real game company like Bioware or Obsidian.

Reason they're jealous is that they know VD doesn't have to prostitute himself to BioWhore to 'get rich'. He already has a job and a life. Imagine that in the RPG development world: a project with real independence, integrity and self-respect. No wonder they hate you.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
He is referring to the state of the RPG market today.

Because with all the ARPG and RPG-lite games the genre is living in an age of decadence.

Lord Chambers

Erudite
Are you alll Spanish literate? I'm amazed at how I went from almost fluent to barely able to follow that thread in the span of 5 years.

John Yossarian

Magister
They're from spain, and they're using a lot of slang. Spanish is my first language and I still had to ask my wife (she's from spain) what some stuff meant in that thread.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Lord Chambers said:
Are you alll Spanish literate? I'm amazed at how I went from almost fluent to barely able to follow that thread in the span of 5 years.

Well, I´m from Argentina, so Spanish is my first language, and I also have the Spanish nationality, because my mother is from Spain.

About that thread, they use a lot of "localized" words, but I have no problems understanding or guessing them most of the time. As a matter of fact my cousin recently came from Spain and we were talking about the different idiomatic expressions that they use there. So I know about them a little, also because I have a half-sister living in Spain too.

Llyranor

Liturgist
If your editor does a good job polishing the writing, I'll likely get the game. If your game sucks, I'm going to murder each and every one of you.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Llyranor said:
If your editor does a good job polishing the writing, I'll likely get the game. If your game sucks, I'm going to murder each and every one of you.
It sucks. Start murdering.

PS. I'm not working with an editor at the moment. I simply don't have time for that.

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
It sucks. Start murdering.

PS. I'm not working with an editor at the moment. I simply don't have time for that.

Not the time to improve the aspect that most needs improving? You have a new writer, can't he do some proofing as well?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Two Codex members expressed some interest in helping me to transform my gibberish into classic English prose. We did some quests & descriptions, which I liked a lot because the writing was pretty. Then I posted some "before and after" samples, and turned out that a lot of people prefer my style for some reasons. I got quite a few PMs urging me to reconsider, so currently everything is on hold.

GhanBuriGhan said:
Not the time to improve the aspect that most needs improving?

From one of the PMs I received on this subject:

Overall, having read the entire quest, I stand by my evaluation of your writing - it's good. It is most certainly good enough for an RPG, and when compared to the 'edit', you have the benefit of brevity. While we're all for more writing in games, the fact is that the re-writes by the editor are not PsT quality material. The concise nature of your stuff is therefore a virtue.
And make a final pass over everything yourself. Your writing is better than the impression you're getting from the Codex, and this is because of the fact that cliche feels 'smooth', whereas originality tends to initially jar. And you probably need no more reassurance than the fact that Rex prefers the re-writes.

Ladonna

Arcane
Oh dear.....with all the choice games out they complain about the writing

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
Two Codex members expressed some interest in helping me to transform my gibberish into classic English prose. We did some quests & descriptions, which I liked a lot because the writing was pretty. Then I posted some "before and after" samples, and turned out that a lot of people prefer my style for some reasons. I got quite a few PMs urging me to reconsider, so currently everything is on hold.

GhanBuriGhan said:
Not the time to improve the aspect that most needs improving?

From one of the PMs I received on this subject:

Overall, having read the entire quest, I stand by my evaluation of your writing - it's good. It is most certainly good enough for an RPG, and when compared to the 'edit', you have the benefit of brevity. While we're all for more writing in games, the fact is that the re-writes by the editor are not PsT quality material. The concise nature of your stuff is therefore a virtue.
And make a final pass over everything yourself. Your writing is better than the impression you're getting from the Codex, and this is because of the fact that cliche feels 'smooth', whereas originality tends to initially jar. And you probably need no more reassurance than the fact that Rex prefers the re-writes.

Style is certainly debatable, so your decision to stick with your own writing is fine by me (although I personally preferred the new style, for the most part). However, typos, grammar goofs, and missing words or orphans are not good, and the latest lore offers still had those. That's what an editor is for. I believe we went through this before, but I would still recommend to either shell out for a simple copy editor (assuming you can easily export/import text. Or to find someone here. I would, but a ) I'm not a native speaker myself and b ) I'd prefer to play the game.

Ladonna

Arcane
Even though he can be a little....queer....

Roqua wrote:
I hate to sound like a big gay idiot (which as we all know is impossible), but the critisism of the writing is getting very tiresome. It was good before, its better now, lets finish this bitch while I still kind of like playing video games at all.

Everyone's fabulous showing of how awesomer they would've been as an editor is neat and all, but shut the fuck up, you candy ass pussies. I would much rather have a game with a couple minor flaws now, than a game with a couple less flaws in 2009. What a bunch of crybaby, knitpicky bitches.

Or, I'll give you $50 if you let me beta test what you have now, and I get to download a free copy in 2011 when it goes gold. But wait, inflation might make $50 worth a lot less so far in the future, so I'll just rebuy it with all the updated graphics and words.

Excluding a few words from it, it kinda sums up what I think. If there are a few grammar flaws after a thorough polish, I honestly don't give a shit. I do not think I have ever played a game without a typo in my life, and this includes actiony games with hardly any dialogue at all. Fallout had aplenty, as did Arcanum.

Carry on, my CC is waiting (After a demo test.... :wink: ).

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
GhanBuriGhan said:
Style is certainly debatable, so your decision to stick with your own writing is fine by me (although I personally preferred the new style, for the most part). However, typos, grammar goofs, and missing words or orphans are not good, and the latest lore offers still had those. That's what an editor is for.
Maybe it's hard to find an editor who's willing to restrict himself to just fixing real errors instead of trying to improve the style?

I stand by the suggestion of an unofficial pre-release - aka beta-test Micosoft-style. I can't imagine a better way to find small errors in large amounts of text than many people reading it with real interest.

suibhne

Erudite
Yes, definitely work with an editor or two - even if only for spelling/grammar and not for style. (Just be up front with them about that constraint; they'll either agree to it, or you'll find someone else. :wink: ) I've done a lot of copy-editing myself and would offer to help, except that I selfishly don't want to be spoiled regarding the plot. :lol:

One Wolf

Scholar
in regards to the editing, i came in a bit too late in the upgraded writing thread to recieve significant feedback. i feel that my edits were in keeping with VD's original tone, and that the changes only served to make the text a bit smoother. certainly my intent was to preserve as much of the original text as possible.

i encourage everyone to read my edits here.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom