Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why do you think people will buy your game?

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
I think that the style should be kept, without typos and grammatical mistakes.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
He's almost done. We've already hooked up the main gui and it looks pretty damn good in my uneducated opinion. We'll post some samples when we iron out some minor issues.

Gwendo

Augur
Vault Dweller said:
It won't be the same without typos and grammatical mistakes.

Hey, it wouldn't be a realistic game if every NPC talked in perfect english. :D

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
In unrelated news, I got 3 publishing inquiries this week. Ironically, all of them mentioned Oblivion one way or another. I should probably sue for harassment.

Ladonna

Arcane
Have you seen any contracts yet? What are these things usually like?

I would guess fairly restictive and money grabbing for a start.

Any big boys attempting to sign you up?

Hazelnut

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
In unrelated news, I got 3 publishing inquiries this week. Ironically, all of them mentioned Oblivion one way or another. I should probably sue for harassment.

Or defamation... ;)

Anyway you didn't answer my question.

EDIT: Them sniffing around probably indicates you don't really need 'em.

Fez

Erudite
Glad to hear that you're getting some added serious interest for it. Getting the word around about your game can only be a good thing. Hopefully you don't end up getting screwed by a bad publisher or one that goes under, though you're obviously keep an eye out for that.

PrzeSzkoda

Augur
Project: Eternity
Angry Pollacks are gonna' be buying the game in droves, man, in fuckin' DROVES. At least the ones with post-fallout psychosis, who are pretty numerous.

Fez

Erudite
Make sure to set those angry Pollacks on the publishers if they pull a Strategy First on VD.

Veracity

Liturgist
Hazelnut said:
Publishers sniffing around probably indicates you don't really need 'em.
Possibly, but visibility is huge, and I (intuitively, without being able to support it) think underestimating that is one of the most common failings of independent projects. Even if you're planning to sell only a few thousand copies, relying exclusively on the kind of nerds who waste their lives reading about games on niche forums probably isn't enough.

According to Introversion, they shifted more units of Uplink or Darwinia (don't remember which; too lazy to check) through Steam in a week than in several months self-publishing. Even though their games have had very high mainstream gaming press visibility for their scale, making them easily available through a vendor that a lot of people were using anyway had a huge impact.

Llyranor

Liturgist
Yeah, but Steam isn't really a publisher.

I'd say going throught some sort of digital distribution program (rather than doing it yourself) could potentially work. As for an actual publisher, heh.

Jim Kata

Arbiter
The Idiot said:
Is it THE desslock in that thread (page 22)? Because this is hilarious:
Interesting. One of the reasons so many older RPG fans are so passionate about Oblivion is because it's basically, finally, a worthwhile successor to Ultima VII -- the game that, for many of us, is our favourite game of all time. It was pretty damn frustrating having to wait almost 15 years for a game to finally emulate (and top) Ultima VII's design in so many ways -- I honestly was beginning to doubt if we'd ever get another game to pick up the Ultima baton (still feel the same way about FreeSpace 2 and Star Control 2) because even though Black Isle/Troika/BioWare have produced some great RPGs, none of them advanced Ultima's design style (it really took the Gothic games, in addition to Oblivion, to do so).

I think my brain just exploded.

mlc82

Scholar
Reason said:
http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk/showthread.php?t=33091&page=19

that game looks like an awful school project
Good ideas, however, are no match for small budgets or lack of artistic talent, most unfortunately.
All I'm saying is that this game's premise and design gets me much more excited than anything I read about, say, Dragon Age (http://www.computerandvideogames.com....php?id=157660 ). I'm also saying a small budget and bad art will also probably deter me from even trying it, as I do have standards that range across the board

Your ideas are good, VD, I'll give you that, but don't you realize that nobody will play a game that looks as shitty as AoD? It's just sad, man. You should have joined a real game company like Bioware or Obsidian. You are just wasting your time now.

Lack of "shinyness" is exactly why I'm looking forward to this one... Most of the best games ever released that I can think of really weren't all that pretty to look at, and so had to have phenomenal gameplay to make up for that fact. Nowadays, it's just the otherwise around, all the effort goes to graphics while the actual game is tacked on afterward (*cough* Olbivion *cough*).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom