Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why isn't RPGCodex on Meta Critic?

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
4LTYquD.png
< We should be here

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Meta Critic hand picks sites for reviews, and they would not accept us. Also we don't have a scoring/rating system.

Fairfax

Arcane
OpenCritic would definitely include the Codex. They have much smaller sites there.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Also, Obsidian could be blaming us for a metacritic score too low and say they have to fire people thanks to those assholes at RPGCodex we used to like.

Fairfax

Arcane
Do they hand pick sites though, like meta critic?
They claim to be much more transparent, and they share their requirements:

There are currently seven requirements:

• Reviews must be freely available online
  • Reviews must be in English
  • Publication must have a minimum of 15 relevant reviews per year
  • Reviews are primarily for helping gamers make purchase decisions
  • Publication must have a minimum of 30 reviews total
  • Publication follows basic journalism ethics and standards
  • Publication is trusted by a large set of gamers, verified by public audience metrics
  • Reviews are listed in a consistent manner

Codex meets all of them, and reviews don't need a scoring system to be listed.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
THAT is actually pretty cool, IF they do 100% adhere to that policy. Good for them.

I don't think we do anywhere near 15 reviews a year though.

Fairfax

Arcane
THAT is actually pretty cool, IF they do 100% adhere to that policy. Good for them.

I don't think we do anywhere near 15 reviews a year though.
Oh, my bad. It's just that PoE has 4 reviews (or more, not sure), thought 15 overall was granted.
Just checked, and their audience requirements are a big tougher, even if only one is necessary.

In the interest of transparency, audience size should be publicly verifiable. Meeting any one of the following criteria is sufficient to fulfill this requirement:

• Over 50,000 social media followers on any single channel
  • Over 75,000 social media followers across any three channels combined
  • An Alexa ranking higher than 100,000
  • Consistently more than 400,000 unique monthly visits on SimilarWeb
  • Consistently more than 250,000 unique monthly visitors on Compete
  • Any other extremely convincing public evidence that your reviews are consumed by more than 50,000 people.

Fairfax

Arcane
So it's basically a "buy this" format. Can't we just talk about games just for the sake of talking about games?

The Codex, obviously, has no problems with this :obviously:
I think that's just poorly worded. It's probably meant to prevent people from trying to include let's play stuff with commentary, retrospectives, etc.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Publication is trusted by a large set of gamers

There's your actual problem. Codex as it is right now is just seen as a pro-gamergate nazi bullshit who prefer Fallout 1 to Fallout 4, the morons. The Metacritic standard sound fair until you realize they have a fair dose of subjectivity about who they accept or not. What is a "relevant" review ? What is basic ethics and standards ?

Where are the infamous Christian gaming sites on Metacritic? As ridiculous those things are, surely they would fit the written standards set by Metacritic.

Cadmus

Arcane
I think we need more neutral-positive reviews in order to qualify for a random bumfuck retard score aggregator website.
Come on guys, Infi's dream would come true and somebody would start to take the Codex seriously!!

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
Maybe something about killing baby Hitler would improve our respectability. All the cool kids are doing it.

If we are not reviewing 15 games every year, we should strive to. All codexers, particularly from diverse backgrounds, must contribute. Follow me to this alley PM me for ideas to start this move.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Codexian schizophrenia strikes again.

We want to be able to say whatever the fuck we want because muh freedom of expression! meaning to be able to shitpost about the great black-transgender-jewish-feminazi-SJW-video game conspiracy and calling each other faggots all day, erry day; we also want to be a truly reputable prestigious magazine with all our favorite developer darlings posting here and taking us super seriously.

Newsflash: You can't have both, it will never work. If you embrace the cesspool nature you will have to drop your delusions of grandeur, its basic IRL C&C.

Weasel
Codexian schizophrenia strikes again.

We want to be able to say whatever the fuck we want because muh freedom of expression! meaning to be able to shitpost about the great black-transgender-jewish-feminazi-SJW-video game conspiracy and calling each other faggots all day, erry day; we also want to be a truly reputable prestigious magazine with all our favorite developer darlings posting here and taking us super seriously.

Perhaps it's different groups of people wanting these different things though, so I assume you mean the forum as a whole could be described as 'schizophrenic' rather than individuals. Every now and again the tension between these two different visions of the Codex comes out into the open and we end up with shitstorms like the Roxor review or VD's reign coming to an end.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom