Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why isn't RPGCodex on Meta Critic?

Cassidy

Arcane
There is no grandeur to be had in prostituting for big publishers, being a shill and catering to casual popamolers and hipsters like all major games "journalism" sites.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Perhaps it's different groups of people wanting these different things though, so I assume you mean the forum as a whole could be described as 'schizophrenic' rather than individuals. Every now and again the tension between these two different visions of the Codex comes out into the open and we end up with shitstorms like the Roxor review or VD's reign coming to an end.

Yes, I meant the forum as a whole, though I have observed that kind of schizophrenia in individual posters as well occassionally.

made

Arcane
Oh but I am on Metacritic. Few things in life are as satisfying as writing scathing 0/10 reviews for the latest AAA titles*, watching their user score plummet in contrast to the matascore, and exposing "professional critics" (/spit) as the corporate whores they are.

*Except Witcher 3, of course, because CDPR are total bros.

Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy

Hegel

Arcane
So that (insert name here) could shill for Obsidian more? No, thanks.
Let's keep this place doritos and mountain dew free.

Last edited:

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Codexian schizophrenia strikes again.

We want to be able to say whatever the fuck we want because muh freedom of expression! meaning to be able to shitpost about the great black-transgender-jewish-feminazi-SJW-video game conspiracy and calling each other faggots all day, erry day; we also want to be a truly reputable prestigious magazine with all our favorite developer darlings posting here and taking us super seriously.

Newsflash: You can't have both, it will never work. If you embrace the cesspool nature you will have to drop your delusions of grandeur, its basic IRL C&C.

It's not necessarily schizophrenia bro. The goal of having developers post on the Codex is mostly orthogonal to the goal of becoming a prestigious magazine (which, as a relative newfag, I believe you are taking way more seriously than it's meant to be). If being an absolute shithole full of halfwits stopped developers from posting anywhere, you wouldn't see them on SA or NeoGAF. As long as the Codex is seen as a congregating place for an audience for certain kinds of niche games (and a donator to KS campaigns), you will see developers post regardless of the, ah, severity of the language permitted. That is simply a question of perceived influence.

On the "prestigious magazine" front, the requirement is not so much that the forums be sanitized - though you will have organizations that will refuse to deal with you based on this - but rather that the administration display a certain degree of professionalism and that the quality and quantity of editorial content be sufficient. If you have reviews that enough people read and the people in charge are reasonable, you will get review copies, it's a pretty simple equation. You can't be IGN, but maybe you can be a mini-RPS.

All that said, trying to get Codex into a review aggregator is an extremely dumb idea. Those things are awful and should all die for the betterment of mankind.

I dream of a day where we will be the mainstream and all our popamole foes will scurry through the dark, dank sewers of the internet. Games cattering to our tastes will be made in droves, and popamolers shunned and yelled at like the sub-human ignorants they are. Then we will mock these faggots and go play some incline. It will be the closest thing to paradise. Listen brothers, if you put your ears to the sewer grating, you can hear the chant from afar:
"health regen, cover system, quest compasssss..."

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
In the interest of transparency, audience size should be publicly verifiable. Meeting any one of the following criteria is sufficient to fulfill this requirement:

• Over 50,000 social media followers on any single channel
  • Over 75,000 social media followers across any three channels combined
  • An Alexa ranking higher than 100,000
  • Consistently more than 400,000 unique monthly visits on SimilarWeb
  • Consistently more than 250,000 unique monthly visitors on Compete
  • Any other extremely convincing public evidence that your reviews are consumed by more than 50,000 people.

fko5m8.jpg

Da fuk men

15dkkds.jpg

28us5c0.jpg

What the fuck is ocean of games?
154htg6.jpg

80Maxwell08

Arcane
So apparently Ocean of Games is a pirated games site. They look to be a decent size as well.

Fairfax

Arcane
Interesting, the Codex used to be much higher, and spiked after the PoE release.
Still, I don't think they're being too strict with the audience size. I checked the first website I didn't know listed in the FO4 page and it was much smaller than the Codex: COGconnected. I also checked their social media followers, not nearly enough.

Anyway, I think the Codex should try and give it a shot, get in touch wih them and explain that it's hard to write 15 reviews when it's just about RPGs, etc.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
we also want to be a truly reputable prestigious magazine with all our favorite developer darlings posting here and taking us super seriously.

But I don't think that's what the OP really wants at all. Getting on Metacritic isn't a means of becoming more "respectable". It's just the way to become a more effective platform for crusading against games he doesn't like.

To which one would typically respond with this: https://encyclopediadramatica.se/X_is_not_your_personal_army

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
Maybe a certain review destroyed the ongoing growth of the site?
It was good review. Let the faggots learn that no game gets special treatment.

Obviously the entire idea is stupid because of simple thing - codex reviews don't give scores, therefore it doesn't fit there. As for it's prestige status - if codex has review of any game you're interested in - then reading it will, at least, give you good view of the negatives and that's something.

I don't know if transforming RPGcodex into RPGshill just to push :obviously: agenda is worth it tho.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
On the "prestigious magazine" front, the requirement is not so much that the forums be sanitized - though you will have organizations that will refuse to deal with you based on this - but rather that the administration display a certain degree of professionalism and that the quality and quantity of editorial content be sufficient. If you have reviews that enough people read and the people in charge are reasonable, you will get review copies, it's a pretty simple equation. You can't be IGN, but maybe you can be a mini-RPS.

All that said, trying to get Codex into a review aggregator is an extremely dumb idea. Those things are awful and should all die for the betterment of mankind.

Wikipedia's definition of a "reliable source" seems to be a site with a minimum of editorial quality control and fact checking. This is contrary to the RPGCodex editorial policy of posting whatever people might submit as content, especially if it will generate a lot of butthurt. This site is primarily a discussion site and the content posted serves a very different purpose than at news and review sites where the content is designed to attract people who will look at ads.

So really there are no "reliable sites" for gaming, there are either forums like this one where some forum posts may be posted on the front page or called "content", or corporate whores gargling advertisement cum.

Xeon

Augur
I think Inifinitron and Grunker spell checked one of Roxor's reviews IIRC, that probably counts as quality control I think.

I liked a lot of the reviews and I also really liked the interviews and Q&A and also visiting the devs and giving their impressions. Getting recognized as a real site for news or something might allow the Codex more chances to to do stuff like that.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Codexian schizophrenia strikes again.

We want to be able to say whatever the fuck we want because muh freedom of expression! meaning to be able to shitpost about the great black-transgender-jewish-feminazi-SJW-video game conspiracy and calling each other faggots all day, erry day; we also want to be a truly reputable prestigious magazine with all our favorite developer darlings posting here and taking us super seriously.

Newsflash: You can't have both, it will never work. If you embrace the cesspool nature you will have to drop your delusions of grandeur, its basic IRL C&C.

I think as along as there is a strong enough community behind something and they aren't doing anything illegal, they should have a voice without needing any kind of self-censorship.

At the end of the day Metacritic and these other sites just want clicks and views.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom