Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why the hell don't games come on physical media anymore?!?

Mustawd

People will look up to you if you have a house full of old books. Don't expect to find a girlfriend with an original copy of Ultima IV.

I agree. But I'm just thinking out loud because if a company did that it'd be a really low cost and would placate all those physical media fanboys who are always wanting a box. Then again...they'd be endorsing you put the files onto a disk, which is a slippery slope to having a ton out there.

Mustawd

People will look up to you if you have a house full of old books. Don't expect to find a girlfriend with an original copy of Ultima IV.
Can't we have both?

No. Either full Matt Barton or go home.

matt6.png

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Matt Barton is a litterature professor, I hear. He probably has even more books than games.
Also, I'm sure the beer helps.

Unwanted

†††

Patron
My Switch games are physical.

:smug:
Nintendo knows its consumer base well and their love for sticking things up their butts, that's why they still make physical games and small gamepads. Why do you think the WiiU failed?

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Why do you think the WiiU failed?
Poor lineup of launch titles. Limited 3rd party support. "Weak" hardware (comparatively speaking, it was more capable than the PS3/360, but definitely less poweful than the PS4/XBone - essentially a Dreamcast situation, though not as severe).

Unwanted

†††

Patron
Poor lineup of launch titles. Limited 3rd party support. "Weak" hardware (comparatively speaking, it was more capable than the PS3/360, but definitely less poweful than the PS4/XBone - essentially a Dreamcast situation, though not as severe).
Damn, and here I was thinking it flopped because tendies couldn't stuff it up their ass. Thanks for the clarification!

Ezekiel

Arcane
PC users never embraced Blu-ray drives. Didn't help that the copy-protection of movies was much more a pain in the balls than DVD. Screw having to install a modern AAA game with nine DVDs.

lycanwarrior

Scholar
I'm one of those oldies that misses the crystal-clear cases, the huge oversized boxes and the thick manuals with the new smell lol.

However, once the Internet and high-speed connections became ubiquitous, there was no putting the genie back into the bottle. For better or worse.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Big ass boxes + manual = heavan.

Plus it was harder to patch games so devs at least TRIED to make them reasonably complete before launch.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
PC users never embraced Blu-ray drives. Didn't help that the copy-protection of movies was much more a pain in the balls than DVD. Screw having to install a modern AAA game with nine DVDs.
The fuck? The blu ray era was the golden age. Everyone had a bd writer for dem "legal" backups.

Ezekiel

Arcane
The fuck? The blu ray era was the golden age. Everyone had a bd writer for dem "legal" backups.
The adoption rate was tiny compared to DVD drives, practically nothing.

Alex

Arcane
Why do you think the WiiU failed?

Hasn't that been the case nintendo console since the Wii?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom