Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why the lack of news coverage of real rpgs?

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Can't you throw a bone to the indie developers of real rpgs and at least make a token news post about their games being released?

Knights of the Chalice being released is not exactly news. Neither is Grimoire, for wholly different reasons.

Do you live in some kind of a parallel dimension where real rpgs are actually being made?

So, an rpg being released is not news to a community of so called rpg fans? Got it.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Also, besides Star Crawler, Alvora tactics, and a bunch of others, they didn't even mention Last Dream 2. But Hipster games with rpg elements like long journey home get tons of coverage. Why didn't Halcyon 6?

Why is there no consistency on the indy coverage other than being hipster approved? Why not post a simple news blurb about real rpgs that get released? Is that so crazy on an rpg site?

Yes, apparently because this community does not like rpgs as has been proven time and time again over the years. It started out as liking them, but around 05 is when things went in the shitter here.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
What is your agenda? It seems the only indies you cover are the hipster approved shit games with or without minor rpg elements and major rpg releases.

I am hoping you will have some sort of reasonable reason not to cover the release of real rpgs. If the reason is your community is not interested in real rpgs, and only interested in hipster shit and major releases so they can bash them while loving console bullshit it would be good to know.

To be fair, they did also cater to your interests by covering releases of true, real, non-console RPGs like ME:A, so at least give them points for trying...

Okay, I bought this game as I really like the prior three Mass Effects. As usual my spiel on this game is the only important and sensible one so there will be no use reading after this and the thread may as well be closed.

1) This game has the best rpg system out of all 4. It has the most options and in my opinion with the constant need to research it has the best itemization (so far).
2) You can change builds at any time but your research is where the opportunity cost is since most items are specialized and not general. You can also make weird builds that work well.
3) The main character looks like shit in all choices. His neck is thin enough to belong to a crack head in the final threshes of an AIDS death. He also wears skinny pants like a fucking pansy ass bitch. I thought I made a decentish looking guy but he looked more and more like a malnourished terrorist mole in cut scenes and I started over. My next guy had the ass eyes of a downy in cut scenes. My third guy I had to settle for a white with constantly confused eyebrows. But he was the only one I could get a bbeard to work on and hid their fucking emo face and his hairline worked with the only normal haircut.

I don't lie or hide behind shit. I wear my beliefs on my sleeve. At no point did I ever say ME wasa good rpg. It is console trash. It just so happens it is console trash I really enjoyed (1-3, Andromeda gets really boring really quick just like the country it was made in). I'm not going to lie to look cool. I have great taste in games besides when it comes to ME 1-3, non-rpg console trash with some rpg elements. I fucking love them. I loved the original ending of 3. I like the extended endings. I like most of the dlc. I have a crush on Ashley Williams and I fucking hate recruitable npcs with a passion. How can I explain this contradiction? I can't. I can only admit that it exists.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Your transparency, forthrightness and integrity are all admirable, Roqua I mean YES!

Your love of little boys, general creepiness, and dislike of rpgs are not really admirable, but very apparent, Bryce I mean Crispy.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Also another rpg release - After the End: The Harvest. Not a major release like the named above, but certainly news worthy on a so called rpg site.

Aenra

He might be a nigger (and a dysfunctional one to boot), but Roqua is right in this :)

We have a very.. selective news coverage process and worse still, one done in a way that ensures conversation will be steered towards specific elements or aspects of the game at hand (by, say, having the news poster coloring the article with his personal opinion while reiterating the points they know will cause the most butthurt/heated discussion).

And because i've seen this often enough too.. Most of the RPGs Roqua mentions, i wouldn't touch either, granted; but that's subjective. Don't confuse subjective (for the games he mentions or for his person) with true or false. We do have a shitty, limited, biased coverage process. That's a fact.

edit: And before anyone rushes, i would remind of the countless times posters have asked for news coverage about 'x' or 'y' RPG, only to be ignored entirely.

Unwanted

Wonderdog

Neckbeard Shitlord's alt
The main thing annoying about the low energy press coverage is that there is a news post for every shitty fig update and every shitty kickstarter update for every shitty cockgobbler corporate sellout game made.

If a game is announced and it's an RPG even by the typical faggot definitions, then sure make a post about it. We don't need a news post spam for every shitty kickstarter update though, this really squeezes out what little legitimate news comes out on this fucking site.

Even worse is fig, fig updates should just be banned. Are we fucking game investors? :lol: Who gives a flying fuck about that corporate marketing tool bullshit for games they can't even get people to fund via kickstarter? All these posts are pure spam and should be removed.

There's no reason to have x posts every day, especially about the same couple of shitty games that hog all the attention by making a thousand updates that have no more content than a fucking tweet. If there is only one a day or three a week of ORIGINAL news of some kind, then so be it.

Or if you just have to post this bullshit put it into the original news post for the game, or some kinda kickstarter megathread. This is really low energy 'news', and the shitty companies that take advantage of these sites to spam us in a low energy manner should not be rewarded by being allowed to flood the main page and knock out all discussion of any 'real' RPGs or even simply real news on other games.

Ban coming in 3, 2, ...1.

Aenra

Could be worse. At least we don't cover weeaboo shovelware
We were called a Prestigious Magazine for a reason

Aah, could be worse.. of course. The bestest argument ever. Indeed Mond, could have been worse. Let us all sit back and let this keep going on, shall we? We already have Twitter addins and real time profile postings and profile likes, the epitomy i'd think of "seriousness" and "elitism", is that not so?
Gimme a fucking break. You wanna make excuses, least take some care in making them good ones, this is pathetic.

As to "prestige".. lol dude, seriously? I love this place because we can be ourselves, talk openly, freely. But.. "prestige"?
You see, once upon a time, this forum was made for a couple of manchildren to bitch about Interplay and Fargo sans fear of censorship, butthurt as they where because toys they needed and toys they could not procure.
Some 16 years later, you might want to consider (assuming age has given you some wisdom), whether your idea of "prestige" then is your idea of "prestige" now?

It might be. Your call, not mine. But yet again, do not confuse your preferences (or emotional needs) with the fact that we do have a limited and biased coverage.
I understand how certain spastics here feel better about themselves in this kind of way; am just saying we should at the least admit it is so.

Aenra

Wonderdog you're pushing it to the other extreme :)

Fig, KS, it's how it is now. If a game is an RPG and has been funded or is attempting to.. does it not make sense to cover it?
I am with you regarding such practices, but such is the way of things today. You cannot possible deny it, ignore everything it touches. We'd be left with nothing.

Unwanted

Wonderdog

Neckbeard Shitlord's alt
Fig is shit and pointless. No one wants it. Kickstarter is OK but we can already follow a fucking kickstarter feed just like a twitter feed. These posts are pure cancer.

Aenra

Irenaeus why am i a tool? :)

Consider games like Copper Dreams or D:OS II; them too are Kickstarter games.. would you rather we never covered them because Kickstarter? And why do that, when to the best of our knowledge they deserve the attention?

So.. in case this is what you were thinking: Bad/shady KS games equals not covering Kickstarter is bad.
Am not saying go nuts mind you, am just saying that it is how it is, you can't ignore everything under the funding umbrella.

Edit: Has Xenforo fixed tagging people in an edit?
Wonderdog in theory, fig is better than KS. It's open and it actually has a return of investment; you get something tangible back for throwing your money away, shit mainstream game or good game. See what i mean? In practice, sure, but again.. if you want to base this on 'practice', how would you know before a specific game is out? You can't.
Hence my telling you, you cannot ignore it altogether.

Likewise with KS, why is it so good, as most people seem to think? We used to have scam after scam, regulations tightened a bit, O.K., but is it not mainly a hyping tool (we have proper funding, but use KS to gauge interest, incite, etc.)? Is it still not the source of games that have disappointed?
Simultaneously though, it has brought up some good ones.. so either way you stand, again, you cannot ignore it.

Where i beg to differ is Tweets and shit; i hate all that. You're obviously entitled to disagree, but if you want to follow a games' news on Tweet-tweet, why have a news section in the first place? Why have the forum? So, moot point :)

It's why i said subjective before.
What you guys like is O.K., but that's one thing.
Accepting that we only cover a few RPGs, that's another.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Last Dream 2

Goblin_Witch_Doctor.png

:prosper:

Halcyon 6

That doesn't look too bad actually. Has that FTL vibe.

ss_22d7938b1bacc6eb4f4321c279732bbdf5a9167b.1920x1080.jpg

After the End: The Harvest

z_A1r3_Q.png

Unwanted

Wonderdog

Neckbeard Shitlord's alt
Wonderdog in theory, fig is better than KS. It's open and it actually has a return of investment; you get something tangible back for throwing your money away, shit mainstream game or good game. See what i mean? In practice, sure, but again.. if you want to base this on 'practice', how would you know before a specific game is out? You can't.
Hence my telling you, you cannot ignore it altogether.

Likewise with KS, why is it so good, as most people seem to think? We used to have scam after scam, regulations tightened a bit, O.K., but is it not mainly a hyping tool (we have proper funding, but use KS to gauge interest, incite, etc.)? Is it still not the source of games that have disappointed?

Fig is corrupt and they just fund shit they were already going to fund. It ia 100% marketing tool, and therefore should be shunned. Basically it's there part as scam and part as a way to promulgate Fake News. And posting fig updates is no different than making a newspost about a tweet, just fucking retarded.

On Kickstarter the point is to raise money, projects that can't do that die quickly. Posting KS updates can make sense especially DURING the campaign when this can actually help a game people on the board might want to make funding goals.

Posting a bunch of KS updates about a game years after it got funded is just pathetic and retarded. A kickstarter is not 'news' once it gets funded. Unless there is something truly noteworthy such as the game being canceled and refunds given that is not even worth its own forum post.

Both of these issues allow (((certain games))) made by (((certain retarded devs))) to dominate the 'news' section. For example the 40+ 'news' posts about the super shitty mechwarrior game that is not even an rpg shitting up the front page.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
There's a gigantic difference between deliberate non-coverage of games and then going to the other extreme of posting about every RPG flash game that some doofus shoves onto the internet.

I must admit, I often find myself skipping a vast amount of useless hype content that infinitron posts to collect on the handfuls of brofists from the genuinely rabbid fanboys that lap up every passing comment of a game's development, but that's infinitron's choice to do that, its his time he's wasting and he can waste it however he likes, any blame for his continued obsession with trivialities rests with the people lap it up so hard rather than with infinitron himself.

I think the best answer for people who want to see more coverage of games they feel need more coverage is for those people to make the threads about them themselves and if the games are genuinely good enough they'll get coverage once they've earned a reputation. Roqua could start a thread called "Roqua's genuine RPGs news thread" and I'm sure no-one would have a problem with that. But blaming infinitron for having a personal preference is fairly absurd, unless the dude is actively killing threads or doing some form of active repression.

And yes, just because someone makes an RPG maker game it doesn't mean its automatically more interesting than the 10 billion RPG flash games that are out there for free.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
We do have a shitty

Could be worse. At least we don't cover weeaboo shovelware.

limited, biased coverage process.

We were called a Prestigious Magazine for a reason :obviously:

Who is this we you are talking about?

This site covers every shovelware game ever made, rpg or no. I don't know what a weeaboo is but they probably cover that too. About the only games this site doesn't cover is rpgs.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Last Dream 2

Goblin_Witch_Doctor.png

Halcyon 6

That doesn't look too bad actually. Has that FTL vibe.

ss_22d7938b1bacc6eb4f4321c279732bbdf5a9167b.1920x1080.jpg

After the End: The Harvest

z_A1r3_Q.png

The fact you never even hear of Halcyon 6 speaks volumes. The fact no one complains about the non-rpg hipster games this site covers but thinks it would be absolutely hilarious to cover some rpg maker games that are far better than anything Bethesda or Bioware put out also speaks volumes. Try Last Dream. It is a great rpg. I'm playing Star Crawler now so haven't tried 2, but I doubt it will disappoint.

Why no picture of Star Crawler or Voidspire tactics 2?

Unwanted

Wonderdog

Neckbeard Shitlord's alt
There's a gigantic difference between deliberate non-coverage of games and then going to the other extreme of posting about every RPG flash game that some doofus shoves onto the internet.

I must admit, I often find myself skipping a vast amount of useless hype content that infinitron posts to collect on the handfuls of brofists from the genuinely rabbid fanboys that lap up every passing comment of a game's development, but that's infinitron's choice to do that, its his time he's wasting and he can waste it however he likes, any blame for his continued obsession with trivialities rests with the people lap it up so hard rather than with infinitron himself.

I think the best answer for people who want to see more coverage of games they feel need more coverage is for those people to make the threads about them themselves and if the games are genuinely good enough they'll get coverage once they've earned a reputation. Roqua could start a thread called "Roqua's genuine RPGs news thread" and I'm sure no-one would have a problem with that. But blaming infinitron for having a personal preference is fairly absurd, unless the dude is actively killing threads or doing some form of active repression.

And yes, just because someone makes an RPG maker game it doesn't mean its automatically more interesting than the 10 billion RPG flash games that are out there for free.

Guys a local author writes like shit and never punctuates anything but that's HIS CHOICE man! Hid CHOICE! How dare you exercise YOUR choice to say you don't like that kind of writing and suggest somethign else that's not so fucking reatrded?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom