Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Why you should be a Knight of the Chalice

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Heroic Fantasy Games; Knights of the Chalice

<p>Another gamer's blog, Benjamin Book, penned <a href="http://www.benjaminbook.com/component/content/article/4-blog/12-kotc" target="_blank">some sort of review</a> for <strong><a href="http://www.heroicfantasygames.com/Praise.htm" target="_blank">Knights of the Chalice</a></strong>.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<blockquote>
<p>Knights of the Chalice's cobmat is what truly makes it stand out from other turn based titles. Again, KotC pulls from the bucket of simplicity and makes the combat as fluid as turn based can be. The lack of long winded animations paired with the surplus of knowledge the UI gives you allows you to work through combat without a hitch, all the while learning more about the OGL 3.5 ruleset (unless you're a master of the OGL 3.5).</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>The lack of a 3D environment only further augments the perfection of turn based heaven. In a 2D environment (the same way pen &amp; paper is played) you can carefully position yourself to flank and nuke enemies without the hassle of dealing with a z axis. In games such as Neverwinter Nights or Dragon Age, you'll find yourself chaotically attacking whatever you see without any aspect of positioning. While that doesn't mean they're bad games, it's simply a reflection of how modern 3D titles are played. A more classic 3D turn based game is Wizardry 8, but it has to bow to KotC at every step concerning combat due to the 3D element (a video says a million words). Fluidity is the most important criteria of combat, and as far as I'm aware it hasn't been done well on a 3D turn based role playing game thus far. Although, if anyone reading this feels otherwise, let me know in a comment - I'm always open to suggestions.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p><a href="http://www.heroicfantasygames.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&amp;t=361&amp;start=10#p3413" target="_blank">Plus, all hope is not lost.</a></p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<blockquote>
<p><strong>How about simply making an expansion to KOTC, Blue?</strong></p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>I'll make no promises but there may be one.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>&nbsp;</p>

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
VentilatorOfDoom said:
<p>Another gamer's blog, Benjamin Book, penned <a href="http://www.benjaminbook.com/component/content/article/4-blog/12-kotc" target="_blank">some sort of review</a> for <strong><a href="http://www.heroicfantasygames.com/Praise.htm" target="_blank">Knights of the Chalice</a></strong>.</p>
<p> </p>
<blockquote>
<p>Knights of the Chalice's cobmat is what truly makes it stand out from other turn based titles. Again, KotC pulls from the bucket of simplicity and makes the combat as fluid as turn based can be. The lack of long winded animations paired with the surplus of knowledge the UI gives you allows you to work through combat without a hitch, all the while learning more about the OGL 3.5 ruleset (unless you're a master of the OGL 3.5).</p>
<p> </p>
<p>The lack of a 3D environment only further augments the perfection of turn based heaven. In a 2D environment (the same way pen & paper is played) you can carefully position yourself to flank and nuke enemies without the hassle of dealing with a z axis. In games such as Neverwinter Nights or Dragon Age, you'll find yourself chaotically attacking whatever you see without any aspect of positioning. While that doesn't mean they're bad games, it's simply a reflection of how modern 3D titles are played. A more classic 3D turn based game is Wizardry 8, but it has to bow to KotC at every step concerning combat due to the 3D element (a video says a million words). Fluidity is the most important criteria of combat, and as far as I'm aware it hasn't been done well on a 3D turn based role playing game thus far. Although, if anyone reading this feels otherwise, let me know in a comment - I'm always open to suggestions.</p>
</blockquote>
<p> </p>
<p><a href="http://www.heroicfantasygames.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=361&start=10#p3413" target="_blank">Plus, all hope is not lost.</a></p>
<p> </p>
<blockquote>
<p><strong>How about simply making an expansion to KOTC, Blue?</strong></p>
<p> </p>
<p>I'll make no promises but there may be one.</p>
</blockquote>
<p> </p>

M&M7 was pretty fluid when I was popping dragon/titan moles left and right with dragon's breath spam. :smug:

Terpsichore

Arcane
Crafting and arrows of slaying are pretty retarded, in other hand they are needed during certain parts of the game unless you grind levels.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Terpsichore said:
Crafting and arrows of slaying are pretty retarded, in other hand they are needed during certain parts of the game unless you grind levels.
I didn't grind, didn't bother too much with crafting, and only used one arrow of slaying against the dragon in the orc fortress.

Multi-headed Cow

I would rather see KOTC on Steam and $5 and I would then rub it all over my greasy body while groaning softly to myself.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Did he ever approach STEAM?

I know STEAM rejected Gemini Rue because of it's low graphics setting (LOL)..... but then it suddenly appeared on there....

Multi-headed Cow

Absolutely no idea. Considering the Geneforge games got put on Steam I would assume the graphics wouldn't be much of an issue, unless there's some weird technical reason.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Multi-headed Cow said:
Absolutely no idea. Considering the Geneforge games got put on Steam I would assume the graphics wouldn't be much of an issue, unless there's some weird technical reason.

hmmm I'm really surprised it's not actually on STEAM (if he has actually approached them). Granted, I am VERY curious about the particulars....

Gemini Rue only appeared because it was part of the Indie Humble Bundle... (or some such thing, in the forums they were told flat out NO from STEAM).

Which also begs the question..... why isn't Frayed Knights on STEAM..?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
They have some fairly inconsistent standards. I think Jay tried to get Frayed Knights on Steam but they said no -- which is surprising because it's a lot more polished than some other games on Steam. Might be a pricing disagreement. I doubt you'd see Frayed Knights for $24ish on Steam, probably more like $15 max so that might not be agreeable to him. Same could be the case for KOTC.

Flatlander

Liturgist
The simplicity of the user interface is a major reason this game can (and will, if marketed properly) appeal to the masses. Considering a game like Quest (with a much more clunky UI) became commercially successful on the iPhone/iPad, there is absolutely no reason KotC can't. The familiar click to move interface combined with optional hotkeys makes this game ideal for touch screen enabled devices (here's to hoping KotC 2 will be made cross platform).
I don't get why there are no decent RPGs on tablet devices, something like KotC would work very well on those. The control scheme isn't too bad for touch input, the low res old school graphics would fit well the smaller display sizes, turn based game play is ideal for pick'n'play style games etc.

Maybe it's just me but I think the old school RPG devs really missed the window of opportunity with the tablet devices, instead of casual shit they could have been a haven for some more cerebral games. Even e-readers would work fine for Darklands style games and the core audience is supposedly less likely to object to text heavy gaming experience.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Metro said:
They have some fairly inconsistent standards. I think Jay tried to get Frayed Knights on Steam but they said no -- which is surprising because it's a lot more polished than some other games on Steam. Might be a pricing disagreement. I doubt you'd see Frayed Knights for $24ish on Steam, probably more like $15 max so that might not be agreeable to him. Same could be the case for KOTC.

You would have to be a complete idiot to worry about the pricing on your game on STEAM, mainly due to the gigantic exposure and volume of sales capacity that STEAM provides.

Maybe if KotC or Frayed Knights join in on one of those humble bundles then they can get added to STEAM. I wonder what objections STEAM had about both games (unless it was the developer that decided to not put it up there). That or STEAM requres them to make "Achievements" for their games before they will add them. :lol:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
How much of a pain in the ass is Steam for these indie games? Do you buy a copy of the game and download it from Steam and then, if you want to, uninstall Steam? Or do you just buy a license to play the games and need Steam to play them?

I'm wondering if I should buy these indie games while they still are DRM free...

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
If you purchase a game on STEAM, you have to have STEAM installed to play them. But you do not have to have STEAM running to play them, just installed (it has an offline mode).

Nattvardsvin

Learned
I would rather see the sequel getting dumbed down for no logical reason so I can laugh at the rage on this forum.
Oh well.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Jaesun said:
You would have to be a complete idiot to worry about the pricing on your game on STEAM, mainly due to the gigantic exposure and volume of sales capacity that STEAM provides.

Maybe if KotC or Frayed Knights join in on one of those humble bundles then they can get added to STEAM. I wonder what objections STEAM had about both games (unless it was the developer that decided to not put it up there). That or STEAM requres them to make "Achievements" for their games before they will add them. :lol:

Didn't Vogel refuse to even try to get his games Steam approved for a good while because he wanted to sell them at $20 (he still does, just not on Steam where the price point is $10)? While I agree that indie developers are far better off going with a lower price and higher exposure (see, e.g. Dredmor) not all of them agree. Also, I don't think Steam tells you the reason for rejection. I know that Space Pirates and Zombies was initially rejected along with various other games that later got approved. I could probably think of at least ten or so tiles off the top of my head that are far less polished than Frayed Knights that got approved so it's a mystery to me.

(Also speaking of Dredmor how about some Dredmor avatars!)

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Just bought Knights of the Chalice (only 8 MB?!?) and the Exile trilogy + Nethergate.
I was planning on buying all the Spidersoft games, but I don't want to pay toll to my government who squeeze their own citizens for all they are worth while throwing billions at corrupt dictators in the third world.

I have yet to buy anything from Steam, just I have yet not paid for sex. Hopefully I'll never be that desperate...

Jaesun said:
If you purchase a game on STEAM, you have to have STEAM installed to play them. But you do not have to have STEAM running to play them, just installed (it has an offline mode).

Also, with some indies/older games, you can go into the Steam directory/steamapps/common and run the games' executable directly without bothering with Steam.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
KOTC and Skyrim have taught me never to touch crafting in an RPG.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom