Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review WickedToast acclaims KOTOR

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

<a href="http://wickedtoast.com">Wicked Toast</a> posted this <a href="http://wickedtoast.com/article.php?id=139">very detailed review</a> of <a href="http://www.bioware.com/games/knights_old_republic">KOTOR</a> giving it <b>5 out of 5</b> because <i>decisions feel world-impacting</i> and it has <i>upgradable characters</i> whatever it means.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Finally, and this is perhaps more of a personal issue - playing the Dark Side doesn't feel very Dark. It feels more like you're channeling a drunk bully than a devious and insidious embodiment of Evil. Take for example a quest where you have the possibility of showing an oppressed people a way out of their predicament. The Light choice is easy - you do so, and offer to help on the way. The Dark choice is fraught with possibilities, but your actual choice is only NOT to give them the way to do so. That's more akin to beating them up for their lunch money than making them your agents of chaos - but again, that's just my personal take on it. There are a few quests where you can simply get rich quicker by violence instead of peaceful resolution, but there is a dearth of quests that could be inherently considered "Dark".</blockquote>
<br>
Good point.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>The combat itself is turn-based, yet done so fluidly that it feels like real-time</blockquote>
<br>
No comments. RPG Codex respects all kinda opinions, even the stupid ones :)
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.gengamers.com">GenGamers</a>

PrzeSzkoda

Augur
Project: Eternity
Wicked Toast said:
The combat itself is turn-based, yet done so fluidly that it feels like real-time

Good one. Now we should wait for real-time combat system which is so structured and complicated that it feels like a turn-based one. :)

Nightjed

Liturgist
omg, he ACTUALLY LOST one of those tie fighter combats ...
he must have no arms to lose that thing
maybe he was thinking on how much the combat "felt" like real time

Autosaves - did it, or didn't it? Apparently the game doesn't autosave when you board your starship, something I found out through painful experience after relying on the autosave function for a while. I reccommend saving prior to take-off, as the ensuing minigame doesn't have the margin of error that combat does (all 3 members of your party have to die for game to end) - you're blasted and that's the end. A minor annoyance to be sure, but if you didn't save before take-off and had just completed your first major boss fight....rage ensues.

Transcendent One

Liturgist
Guys, don't bash the person, look at how perfectly he summarizes KotOR right here:
the repetitive combat, the overly linear story with little depth, the pointless minigames
... oh wait, he was talking about the OTHER RPG's he's played. Never mind, resume the bashing of the reviewer :twisted:

Sol Invictus

Erudite
That's the sad part. He gives it a 5/5 and bashes other games for all the faults KOTOR exhibits. Oh, and he thinks the combat is turned based and he actually managed to lose the turret-minigame.

That. Is. Just. Sad.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
The reviewer found the Dark path difficult? Uhh... Kill, insult, torture, kill, persuade evil dialogue options, repeat. The Light path is the difficult one since you basicly need to lie and persuade your way through the game in order to avoid falling to the Dark path. But hey, that's just me - and hopefully the rest of the people playing/played the game.

About the example he mentioned. It involves finding three objects and then either give it to the good guy or to the bad guy. I am, well, surprised on how incredible dumb this reviewer was. Maybe he got lost on the minimap or something? :lol:

And for crying out loud: how can anyone have problems with those annoying little minigames? The swoop races can be irritating, but the tie fighting is pretty much a joke and that card game? Well, here goes: for crying out loud!

dunduks

Liturgist
Well, dark side indeed doesnt feel right, I mean it all boils down to just killing, I want to plot my own evil and fun schemes, like on the first planet, that Dia (or whatever) chick with the bounty on her head, why couldn't I for example persuade her to put a bounty on that guys head.

Also, why cant I kill that bloody Bastila, I HATE her, that whiny, pompous, *********!!!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Huh? Many times on the DS; you didn't have to kill... Weird that you think otherwise...

EEVIAC

Erudite
Good grief! I agree with Volourn! Some of the dark-side option were very entertaining, especially when you had Carth or Bastilla with you. The dark-side options were probably my favourite part of the game. The ending with Zalbaar and Mission (and Carth's reaction as well, I loved watching him scamper off into the foothills like a dog,) mind-tricking the woman on Tattooine into giving you the last of her worldly possesions, come to mind imeadiately.

<edit> I forgot the Romeo and Juliet quest - "he killed your son!" Its a shame I couldn't raid their estates afterwards.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I lost the turret game the first few times too. It's not much fun at all with a trackball, so I had to use the arrow keys, which is really awkward.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom