Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wildstar - Next NCSoft MMORPG

Cromwell

Arcane
Despite having 20 ms and 50-80 fps Im lagging like crazy, no idea why.

try reloading ui. Happened to me once and as it turned out it was a memory leak.

Mystary!

Arcane
I hear the game picks up after 20, but goddamn leveling is slow. And even in the the capitol I barely see anyone else. I only run in to the same two people in every area I visit.
Combat is still fun thou.
Selfie:
uQNCSR6.jpg

Oh, and anti-aliasing cuts my fps in half.

Last edited:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I've dropped the game. Very subpar even by mmorpg standards.
Still feels purposeless from a story point of view. Skills lack any sort of satisfaction. At least in WoW, landing a crit can feel pretty good. Artstyle gets tiresome after a while. Zones are badly designed, and the game lacks the feeling of a seamless world. Dungeons are overtuned for scrubs. Too many things are unrewarding (dungeons, jobs, crafting, etc).

Last edited:

Cromwell

Arcane
Still feels purposeless from a story point of view. Skills lack any sort of satisfaction. At least in WoW, landing a crit can feel pretty good. Artstyle gets tiresome after a while. Zones are badly designed, and the game lacks the feeling of a seamless world. Dungeons are overtuned for scrubs. Too many things are unrewarding (dungeons, jobs, crafting, etc).

I dont understand about satisfactory skills, what does that mean? Why is it bad when things are overtuned for scrubs ( As long as you arent one of course).

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014

I dont understand about satisfactory skills, what does that mean? Why is it bad when things are overtuned for scrubs ( As long as you arent one of course).
Feeling like your skills have any meaningful impact, in sounds, graphics and impact. It's like Dota2 vs League of Legends (dota being much superior).
Also the skills are pretty boring. The warrior class is just using different types of cleaves and that's all he does, unless he's tanking.

The dungeons being overtuned is bad because you must play together with scrubs, and you can't lose a healer or tank on a boss. People leave and the queue times are long as hell.
"You must play in a guild" is not a valid excuse for badly tuned pub content in an mmorpg.

Avellion

Erudite
I had my exams, which resulted in switched priorities...

Looks like I am not missing out on a lot. And I agree, the skills feel really unsatisfying, it feels like I am hitting air, and none of the skills feel particulary inspired, seems to all revolve around doing damage and sometimes negligable status effects. Both of which is a problem with all these pseudo action mmorpgs.

If you are going to design a combat driven mmo, why can't you design combat that is enjoyable with skills that are satisfying to pull off? There is a reason WoW is still doing so well.

folgore

Literate
I am playing this with my friend occasionally, and it is remarkable how little encouragement or support there is for doing anything with other players before the level cap. Running quests with my friend is actually slower than it would be solo because many mission objectives do not share credit across party, so we have to compete for spawns and practically complete objectives twice before moving on. I enjoy the dungeons/adventures but most players will drop group at the first sign of difficulty, and I can't necessarily blame them because the rewards for sticking through to the end are shit. Wildstar just wants you to quest quest quest from 1-49, preferably alone. Of course, there's also a selection of two (2) battlegrounds, for those of us that haven't already been soured on half-baked, arbitrary MMO pvp.

Much of this game's design feels like cargo cultish aping of 2007 era WoW. Lots of appeals to nostalgia and the more "social" feeling of those days, without really understanding why things were that way--let alone trying to improve on them.

I played TOR about a year ago after it went F2P, and despite all the derivative gameplay mechanics, terrible Bioware writing, and Steve Blum seemingly voicing like half the characters, at least grouping with my friend did not feel like a chore. Wildstar drops the ball on basic shit that's supposed to remind you what the second letter stands for in "MMORPG"

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Don't worry folgore your tears are tasted.
hahaha.png

:lol: Elite gaming 101: Not everyone paying is Elite.

non-elite.png

Last edited:

Castanova

Prophet
Much of this game's design feels like cargo cultish aping of 2007 era WoW.

I think there is value in that though. Vanilla WoW was probably the best MMORPG since then so it's nice to have a new game that just tries to copy it, for the most part.

I got Wildstar this weekend and I'm mildly enjoying it. I got my Esper to level 14 so far.

folgore

Literate
Much of this game's design feels like cargo cultish aping of 2007 era WoW.

I think there is value in that though. Vanilla WoW was probably the best MMORPG since then so it's nice to have a new game that just tries to copy it, for the most part.

I don't disagree, but Wildstar isn't going to be that game. In fact I would say it perpetuates some of the worst trends started by vanilla WoW, like the ease at which a player can level from 1 to cap with no want or need to directly interact with another human being. Carbine didn't have the balls to launch an MMO without cross server dungeons and battlegrounds, so the server shards might as well have been ignored in favor of a megaserver with zone instancing. I guess they serve as a good source of income for NCSoft whenever a player has to fork over $25 to use the completely automated character transfer service (kudos, Blizzard).

The two faction system is also worthless and has no good reason to exist beyond "because WoW did it" and the game's stupid, ignorable overarching plot. It makes no sense and provides 0 benefit to the game for the dominion and exiles to be incapable of communicating even in spatial chat, but once again "WoW did it, ergo we must"

As much fun as it is to bitch and moan, this game actually isn't a complete turd--it has the most entertaining healing mechanics I've seen yet in a trinity game, the housing plots are very customizable, and the somewhat challenging 5 mans are a plus. I don't regret playing for the free month.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Enjoy another month of Wildstar guise
not-free-month.png

freemonthbaby.png

CostinR

Literate

I don't think so. CREED is working quite nicely to keep people interested in playing without a sub model.

Currently CREED is cheap as fuck, around 7 platinum which you can get easily in a few days and the way it works is that Carbine makes good money from it.

For those who knows how to make platinum :smug:

Go farm mobs in the level 50 daily areas, or go in Grimvault ( not Blighthaven ) and farm some 47-48 mobs there. Good drops.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
If you want a game that just tries to copy WoW, you can play Lord of the Rings Online, Aion, Rift, SWTOR, and others. MMORPGs have spent the last decade aping WoW, because the suits all think they'll be the ones to take a piece of that pie.

Dr Tomo

Learned
If you want a game that just tries to copy WoW, you can play Lord of the Rings Online, Aion, Rift, SWTOR, and others. MMORPGs have spent the last decade aping WoW, because the suits all think they'll be the ones to take a piece of that pie.

Well some of the ones you listed are complete garbage because they are a grind fest or like Rift and SWOTR they push the MT shop on you and hinders the exp of the game if you don't cough up some dough. So is this game >GW2? I have been wanting to play a mmorpg, but a lot of the ones on the current market is garbage so far.

Castanova

Prophet
It's much better than GW2 so far (I'm now level 28 out of 50). The main thing is that WS is actually difficult in parts. The first dungeon you unlock requires you to research and understand all the bosses beforehand or else you're guaranteed to wipe. You can't just go in with a PUG group and bumble your way through. The solo content as you level isn't difficult for the most part but it at least requires you to pay attention.

I started playing this last week and it's sort of ok, in that you have to be awake to beat some of the elites out in the world. But I don't think I have it in me to play another MMO through to the end content anymore.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom