Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wildstar - Next NCSoft MMORPG

Angthoron

Arcane
Well, there are 2 melee classes and they both can tank with right skills and specs. And both have good avoidance or interrupt skills. If you want to be a brute with 2handed weapon go for warrior, if you want to be a sneaky bastard with pouncing ablities&claws go stalker. Stalker has good starting damage&utility from stealth, so he is one step ahead of warrior.
So Stalker can tank too, if so desired?

Gerrard

Arcane
v8uqqYm.png

This is how shitty the installer is.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well, there are 2 melee classes and they both can tank with right skills and specs. And both have good avoidance or interrupt skills. If you want to be a brute with 2handed weapon go for warrior, if you want to be a sneaky bastard with pouncing ablities&claws go stalker. Stalker has good starting damage&utility from stealth, so he is one step ahead of warrior.

Yeah they can, they got some good defensive skills and life steal.

Angthoron

Arcane
While the installer is quite half-assed (half of the graphics didn't load, hah), I had no memory leaks either.

Yeah they can, they got some good defensive skills and life steal.

Thanks! Will give both a spin then.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
the game is fucking super boring.

playing scion/psi/whatever researcher/archeologist/whatever. the class lacks any sort of flavor and the abilities are boring. even more boring is the archeology shit. having to click and direct some super-slow camera-bot to scan sofas and vases is not my idea of fun.

first hour or so is SUPER LINEAR, and then all of a sudden you get like a million quests in some random outpost. at this time, if you're sane, you'll probably give up on the game because all the items are boring vandor-trash space-shit "ELECTYRON CARD 23424-XCB BLOPPER" crap and all the characters are super-uninteresting. the character development system is money-gated i.e. pay-to-win even when the game has a subscription, and the attributes have stupid nonsensical names just to hide the copying of WoW.

the only good thing about this game are the humongous tits and asses.

can't believe this will be one of the most expensive games to play, and that people are lining up to play it too. fucking suckers.

oh and the game is fucking riddled with bugs.

Quatlo

Arcane
I don't know a single person who would consider buying this game after trying it during one of the beta weekends.
Oh boy, we were so hyped for this game, it was our last chance given to the (thempark) mmorpg genre.
I have no idea how to describe my disappointment after playing it for 2 days. The only really good thing about this game is group content, which has some really nice and unique boss fights, but other than that its your typical theme park collect 10 pig tails shitfest.
Artstyle looks good on screenshots but in motion it is extremely unclear, cluttered and overdone. I love how the ground looks in group pvp, its just all red circles and cones all around the place.

As Zed said, you first hour is just running around on the mothership and linear questing zone showing you the "Basics", then you get thrown into first quest hub and get overwhelmed by 15 quests, 5 group events, some random path shit going around. I tried to read quest descriptions but because there was so many of them and because it wasn't really that interesting it quickly changed into regular *click click click follow the arrow kill/click shit ???? get rewards* It also quickly branches and you get even more quests, you overlevel them quickly so they are quickly abandoned.
Zero player interacton, but its standard mindset for nowadays mmo players. I was unable to kill one of the Elite mobs for quest, so I've tried to group up with some random dude. He probably was Huehue player because he charged at the Elite and got instagibbed. He then tried that 2 more times before accepting my ninja group invite.
By then my buddies got the game too so thankfully I could reduce my interactions with randoms to tolerable minimum.

I liked the combat, skills were varied enough and you have to target them manually so it requires at least SOME involvement, healing could be especially fun in the endgame because you have to hit your target.
Paths were promised as something new and groundbreaking, its just collecting random stuff from the ground/terminals and farming your "path level" so you can farm to your "higher path level"
It was promised as second coming of mmo jesus christ, we only got backwater insane preacher with retarded jokes :2/5:
At least there is housing. And titties are back.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Got into the beta months ago, never went back. The game has nothing, at least pieces of shit like guild wars or generic Korean bowel movement 5961 has character models you can rub one out to.

Gerrard

Arcane
The default mode is cursor on and you have to hold down RMB to move camera, are you shitting me? What kind of ass backwards control scheme is this? Is there a way to change this?

Also the main tiny font is goddamn awful.

Angthoron

Arcane
Hm, the UI really needs a lot of polish.

Other than that, besides the utterly unnecessary 1st hour, it's actually fairly decent as a "let's pile all successful ideas into one game" theme park MMO goes. Won't find much new here, except maybe the double-jump (and even that I'm pretty sure can be found in some MMO that I've skipped), but what is in it is implemented on an appropriate level. Controls and movement give me no complaints - as opposed to, say, TSW or ESO that I've tried recently, combat itself is interesting enough, at least on the local version of rogue, sound effects and music are appropriately bombastic, and the faction that I picked to try out first is pretty much Blood Elves IN SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE IN THE FUTUUUUUUUUUUUUURE. No, seriously, it's like they took that Naaru ship in BC and left to adventure with it. It's there both visually and in dialogues and scripted events/quests in some ways. Sure, they mellowed out a bit but they're still a bunch of vanity-fueled psychopaths on an appropriate occasion.

Quests are what MMO quests in WoW/EQ-likes generally tend to be, with adjustments for industry developments and such. Those of you that missed fighting over ten rotten cumquats with fifty other players in a starting zone will appreciate this game - although the quick respawn of quest items generally doesn't give you enough time to properly enjoy this type of glorious free-for-all. Mob killing is FFA, so you get credit even if someone else tagged, as long as you do enough damage to it.

So yeah, if someone's looking for a game to specifically fill the gap that WoW left by going derp, this should work nicely. It combines most successful features of theme park MMOs of the last decade or so, and seems to combine it competently enough. However, this is what it is - a competent, entertaining, cartoony rehash of all the MMOs known to man (except those prestige few MMOs that everyone here wants to be rehashed, of course), so you won't be finding a "breath of fresh air", a revelation or a new development for the genre. Essentially no risks are taken with this one - doubt they dumped even a million kwabux into the VA, and there's no mechanics to confuse the shit out of you for a day or two. It's all very safe - which leads me to believe that if it has a successful launch, it'll have a rather longer life in P2P lands than, say, TOR, despite not having an SW fanboy crowd to build a player base out of. This actually can leech players out of WoW. Not a WoW killer by any means though - just commenting on the fact that it provides what many WoW players seem to claim to crave.

Also, did a 20-man open-world raid on something called "The Stem Dragon" last night. Was fairly interesting - the boss had a nice pool of special abilities, although still not too hard for the most part, mostly an awareness check. However, it also showed some certain problems with the combat system, or rather, the highlights - there's way too much shit going on, red circles, red lines, red cones, green cones, green rhomboids, green circles, blue circles, what, what, what. Seeing how there is no intensity scale, you can't figure what's a deadly attack and what's just some run of the mill shit (although that's what trial and error is for, sure), and all the OTHER circles and shit really make it hard to track the red sometimes. I'd imagine this game is a total nightmare for the colourblind. Still, entertaining enough, and I like the fact that at L10 you get to fight something that actually needs you to be aware and even use some skills besides autoattack. This is where WoW seriously dropped the ball in its later years - intro content DOES need to be fucking challeging, otherwise all you do is breed a userbase of fucking mouthbreathers.

I expected far worse out of this, so it's actually a kind of a pleasant surprise that it doesn't blow massive dongs unlike that one other MMO that I recently gave a Beta shot at. Or well - is a lot less bland than that one.

Ivory Samoan

Liturgist
Got into the beta months ago, never went back. The game has nothing, at least pieces of shit like guild wars or generic Korean bowel movement 5961 has character models you can rub one out to.
There are two things I love in the morning, Napalm Death and Anime Tweaked Teets.
I don't recall seeing many rubbable nips in GW2 though, ArcheAge is teet-tastic however.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2

However, it also showed some certain problems with the combat system, or rather, the highlights - there's way too much shit going on, red circles, red lines, red cones, green cones, green rhomboids, green circles, blue circles, what, what, what.

Game quickly become "Saturday Night Fever" in such crowded figths, its even worse in PvP...

Angthoron

Arcane

However, it also showed some certain problems with the combat system, or rather, the highlights - there's way too much shit going on, red circles, red lines, red cones, green cones, green rhomboids, green circles, blue circles, what, what, what.

Game quickly become "Saturday Night Fever" in such crowded figths, its even worse in PvP...
Yeah, it was pretty much that. Would say that if they really want to stick to the system, they should consider 1) Making red edges way more prominent and other colours more downplayed and fix lines sinking into level geometry; 2) Scale intensity of filling color depending on deadliness. Sure, that may seem popamole, but when the ground has like 5 AoE effects all cluttered on top of each others, you might want to know which way to duck if your only options are red cone, red circle or red rectangle.

Oh, and also - tits. Many many glorious tits.

One NPC nurse even seemed to brandish a completely bared chest. I'm sure that's unintentional but hey. Doesn't need fixing.

Xenich

Cipher
So far, my experience with the game has been that it isn't good or bad, it just is. I keep getting a feeling while playing it and it reminds me of the feeling I would have just before I realized I was done with a game; that feeling that everything is tired, bland, and repetitious.

anus_pounder

Arcane
There are two things I love in the morning, Napalm Death and Anime Tweaked Teets.
I don't recall seeing many rubbable nips in GW2 though, ArcheAge is teet-tastic however.

Priorities 101. I like. :mca:

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Fuck this shit and ESO too. If I get those damned theft charges dropped, I'm buying ArcheAge alpha next week.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Played the beta weekend, couldnt get into it. Combat is weird, game runs poorly for the mediocre graphics, quest's are even more pop-a-mole than WoW with no interesting bits of lore, dialogue or innovative mechanics... and god the UI is a mess.

I can see how this can appeal to the WoW crowd, as it shares some devs in the development of both and it shows, it's like a less polished Scifi take on WoW.

Gerrard

Arcane
Played like 2 hours. Maybe.
Controls are terrible, UI is terrible, combat is terrible. Been a long time since I played a game this unfun.

Oh yeah, and the performance is terrible as well. For a game that looks like half an ass.

Last edited:

Angthoron

Arcane
Played like 2 hours. Maybe.
Controls are terrible, UI is terrible, combat is terrible. Been a long time since I played a game this unfun.

Oh yeah, and the performance is terrible as well. For a game that looks like half an ass.
Huh. Didn't get any problems with performance on my now-ancient Nvidia 460. Tried running in DX9 and DX11 modes both, minimal FPS differences, smooth framerate, though, sadly, not very high, 40ish. I have worse performance in TSW if I decide to turn on any sort of Tesselation. I'm guessing you sport an Ati card?

Controls probably are part of framerate issues, too - had no problem or complaints about controls at all - compared to recently tried TSW and ESO the controls are miles ahead (especially TSW though, fuck the controls in it SUCK). Combat as a melee character's fine, though Warrior attacks feel a bit too slow, plus the lack of autoattack kinda is annoying. No idea about ranged/casters, could be shitty. Played Stalker and Warrior, for maybe 6-7 hours total, on both factions.

UI is ass though. Lots of UI bugs, too. Map is pretty terrible.

Also, crafting seemed interesting, but fuck if there's enough resources for it, at least if you want to craft stuff from metals.

Gerrard

Arcane
Huh. Didn't get any problems with performance on my now-ancient Nvidia 460. Tried running in DX9 and DX11 modes both, minimal FPS differences, smooth framerate, though, sadly, not very high, 40ish. I have worse performance in TSW if I decide to turn on any sort of Tesselation. I'm guessing you sport an Ati card?
I don't know, maybe it was only the starting areas due to lots of people running around, but this runs worse than Tera for me, which is ridiculous (and Tera already doesn't have the greatest optimization either) I had around 20FPS there..
I'm still using a Radeon 4850, which funnily enough is still good enough for most games despite being 6 years old. More often than not it's the CPU that creates a bottleneck.

Played a warrior, even the first basic ability you get has like 1 second cooldown, which is just silly. The combat is just old WoW-like system all over again. I complained about Neverwinter's combat being just that with a disguise over it (as there's a lot of unavoidable damage, and most attacks that aren't AoE are lock-ons), but this is way worse than even that.

Angthoron

Arcane
I don't know, maybe it was only the starting areas due to lots of people running around, but this runs worse than Tera for me, which is ridiculous (and Tera already doesn't have the greatest optimization either) I had around 20FPS there..
I'm still using a Radeon 4850, which funnily enough is still good enough for most games despite being 6 years old. More often than not it's the CPU that creates a bottleneck.

Hm, same gen-ish cards then, I'm guessing similar hardware level overall as well. Seems there was a rather sharp divide on performance, some people were "runs fine", others were "runs like total shit", at least judging by zone chat. I'm guessing GPUs, beta builds very often screw AMD/ATi users pretty badly.

Played a warrior, even the first basic ability you get has like 1 second cooldown, which is just silly. The combat is just old WoW-like system all over again. I complained about Neverwinter's combat being just that with a disguise over it (as there's a lot of unavoidable damage, and most attacks that aren't AoE are lock-ons), but this is way worse than even that.

Ah yeah. Warrior was certainly, hm, meditative. Tried Stalker first, was fairly fast-paced sort of stuff, fairly exciting at times - since it's a Rogue basically, positioning and stealth are a thing, plus eventually it does get pretty squishy, especially around L10, was rather interesting overall. Nothing special because hello rogue, but yeah - compared to that, Warrior was a jarring drop of pace first. Seems to get better as it levels up, some faster attacks unlock and all that, but, but. There's one huge problem right now, besides the huge CD between Skill 1 swings, and that's Rage pool. It just drains like there's a black hole next to it the moment you drop out of combat, making you spam the same old 1 repeatedly until there's enough rage for a fast-paced combo attack. Even if the mobs are spread out by like ten yards, you'll be out of Rage unless you run to it in combat. Ridiculous.

Also - dunno if you tried it, but you can run the game in DX9 mode, that actually makes a huge difference, or so I've heard - just make a shortcut of the Wildstar.exe with a -dx9 handle. Didn't do much for me, and in fact Exile starter zone ran better and looked prettier with DX11 because snow and shaders, but otherwise, might be worth trying. If you'll be doing any more beta on that, that is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom