Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Will characters have a ''front'' and a ''back'' in CC?

Maerimydra

Literate
All is in the title. In D&D 3.0-3.5 (OGL), characters don't have a ''front'' and a ''back'', but I read on the CC website that the game may feature a ''facing system''. If it's true, how will that work?

Self-Ejected

HobGoblin42

Self-Ejected
Patron
Developer
Codex 2013 Codex USB, 2014
Our "facing system" uses the OGL rule Flanking with some minor modifications: with hexagons, there are always one primary and two secondary opposite directions. In Chaos Chronicles, the flanking bonus will be multiplied if your party attacks (or threatens) the enemy on both opposite directions. So, in fact it's not really "facing", but the effect of flanking is similar: attacking enemies from different directions simultaneously leads to better results.

Maerimydra

Literate
Let's say the sides of a hexagon are named 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6, where 1 is adjacent to 2, 2 is adjacent to 3, 3 is adjacent to 4 [...] and 6 is adjacent to 1. If an attacking creature is adjacent to side 1 of a defending creature's hexagon, does that mean that the attacking creature will get a flanking bonus if one of its allies is adjacent to side 3 or side 5 of the defending creature hexagon, and that the flanking bonus will increase if one of its allies is adjacent to side 4 of the defending creature hexagon? Is that it? If it is, it sounds great, because it might help Rogues by making Sneak Attack more easy to pull of!

Ferdator

Grimlore Games
Developer
Right now I have implemented the flanking rules as they are defined in OGL and ported them to our hexgrid as accurate as possible.
That is, creatures which use one hexfield usually count as flanked, if two opposite fields are threatened by enemies. In the above notation 1+4, 2+5 and 3+6 would make valid flanking combinations.
If it comes to big creatures flanking possibilities are expanded. If one creature uses three hexfields for example one field threatening that creature does create two possible flanking fields on the opposite side (three in second row).
I found it to be most intuitive and appropriate the way it is now. Playtesting will show if this system is to strict. I can easily soften the rules by the change of one single parameter.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ferdator, what do You think of something like this (a house rule I use in my D&D sessions, except with square grid)?:
(using the 1-6 notation above)
1: no attack bonus for the enemy
2,6: +1 bonus
3,5: +2 bonus
4: +4 bonus

If You have enemies only on opposing squares like (1 and 4), it works exactly the same way as it does now. But this rule also takes into account divided attention when fighting multiple enemies (even if they are adjacent to each other) and the increased difficulty of dealing with enemies attacking from the side.

Ferdator

Grimlore Games
Developer
While designing the flanking rules I thought about such variations as well, but skipped them for now, because of there impact on balance and other game mechanics (e.g. sneak attack). Furthermore such rules are easily defined for creatures only using one grid field, but they get vague when it gets to enemies which use more than one field.
One benefit of the original flanking rules is, that they are described easily. One can determine if a player is flanked or not clearly in every situation by just one look. I wanted to copy that circumstance and found a system, that perfectly maps the original rules though using a hexgrid.

Maerimydra

Literate
Awesome, thank you for the quick reply!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom