Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Will PoE be shit?

Will PoE be shit?

• Total voters

Rake

Arcane
JS is the Project director, the blame will be his and only his.
A single person can't micro-manage ~30 others.
And yet people at Ubisoft are coordinating 1000 person teams acrosst different continents. yet somehow Josh can't review the work of 30 persons in the same office :roll:
His job is to recognise the problems, not farting idiotic systems but also impementing them. Read the last quote on your signature ffs
Josh is also the system designer, along with Tim Cain, so it is his job to design systems. So far I see nothing wrong with his sytems, any failures will be on the programming or content side. The fault with execution lies with those executing the content.
So far design is the biggest problem.The lack of proper feedback, idiotic engagement system that should had been cut ages ago, flashy spell effects that hide everything, excesive micromanagement etc.
All these are to be blamed on Sawyer, at least partly

Johannes

Arcane
If I remember correctly there's a lot of special abilities and spells for all classes in this game. So I'm interested whether any of them are anything cool? Invisibility, dimension door, invulnerability (to X), mind control, spell shield/protection/turning, breach/dispel, decisive status effects... Or is it all just different kinds of +1 boosts and damagedealers with different AoEs and ranges?

Lhynn

Arcane
I'm perfectly willing to blame the other developers at Obsidian for failing to live up to Sawyer's vision. Sawyerism cannot fail, it can only be failed by people who are not Josh Sawyer.
Fucking hell, i had a hard time trying to figure out if you were being serious or just trolling, both possibilities amused me to no end. Thanks for making me laugh Roguey.

I like how your response to my correction of your pedantry was weaseling.

It is as much weaseling as referencing to an entirely different game with an entirely different focus in an attempt to justify your lack of appreciation.

Monkeyfinger

Cipher
It fails at being a "one person run in circles while five other sling stones to the enemy" simulator? Wow, it's even worse than expected. Because that's how the greatest part of encounters in BG1 went: kiting + slinging.

Sorry, but kiting with slings is a messy, tedious tactic reserved for dumb noobs with no imagination. Veterans and decent players use stuff like Sleep, Blindness and Web in BG1. Debuffing, disabling and then destroying has always been the elegant and efficient solution to combat in these games.

any strategy that checks the enemy's saving throw and does nothing on a fail is a last resort strategy, far down the list below kiting

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
If its not a quote with a source i dont care for anything roguey posts.

You just have to accept that there's nobody else who's spent so much time digging into Sawyer's innermost secrets. If not asking for a source is the price we have to pay for that, then I'm cool with it.

Norfleet

any strategy that checks the enemy's saving throw and does nothing on a fail is a last resort strategy, far down the list below kiting
Well, unless it's AOE, in which case, statistically speaking, you're gonna get SOME of them.

I must say I always preferred the strategy where I send a pointman out ahead of the party to draw fire, then throw Resilient Sphere or its ilk on him to make him completely invulnerable to what is about to come, and then just nuke the fuck out of the place. After a titanic barrage of fireballs, nothing survives.
nukeitfromorbit.jpg

Norfleet

... you're saying game developers should intentionally make design oversights so that players can have fun exploiting them? That's a contradiction.
I wouldn't call them oversights, but yes, developers should intentionally leave such things open as a goal. Players like taking advantage of things, particularly if those things were somehow intuitively obvious and logical from the rules of the game and real world. It was like the time I was playing a MUD when the concept of the "phalanx" emerged out of the simple game rules of the system, where spears, despite their inferior damage, could strike an opponent first due to their superior reach, thus preventing the opponent from striking back. I ordered my entire guild to switch to spears as a primary weapon. They thought I was mad: Spears were shitty weapons, but they did it anyway, and we went about steamrolling other groups in PvP as a phalanx, and they couldn't touch us through our forest of long, pointy sticks. This had not actually been a result that the developers had initially planned for, but as one of them was a history professor or somesuch, he loved it.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
It's still a shit tactic though, anything that bypasses HP in a HP-game is an automatic design failure.

You couldn't be more wrong. Even in MTG and Hex there are cards that are "instant win". They just require certain conditions and a huge amount of luck, which makes them not OP, but might just let you win in a desperate situation.
And in Poker there is almost always a chance of winning on the river even if you've got 95% of losing right now.
That's what makes games thrilling - a combination of skill AND luck.

Just to give you an example of a game that has no luck, but is purely skill based - chess. Chess is not fun.

Read Matt Barton's book on RPG history to understand how fun appeared in RPG games in the first place, how we arrived at D&D rules and why: http://www.amazon.com/Dungeons-Desktops-History-Computer-Role-Playing/dp/1568814119

You're so clueless...

Turrul

Augur
I'm perfectly willing to blame the other developers at Obsidian for failing to live up to Sawyer's vision. Sawyerism cannot fail, it can only be failed by people who are not Josh Sawyer.
This shit is gold.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
And yet people at Ubisoft are coordinating 1000 person teams acrosst different continents. yet somehow Josh can't review the work of 30 persons in the same office :roll:
So if an Ubisoft game is good/bad you're just going to blame one person? Sounds ridiculous to me.

Even in my IWD articles I gave credit/blame to individual designers whenever I could.

So far design is the biggest problem.The lack of proper feedback, idiotic engagement system that should had been cut ages ago, flashy spell effects that hide everything, excesive micromanagement etc.
All these are to be blamed on Sawyer, at least partly
All these things sound like beta issues to me.

TheGreatOne

Arcane
Roguey said:
Now that Josh Sawyer isn't held back by Sega, a bad engine or grognards, he can design the perfect game and be the designer off in the clouds he's always aspired to be
Sawyerism cannot fail, it can only be failed by people who are not Josh Sawyer.
And now it's literally every one else's fault except Sawyer's that the system Sawyer designed is shit? Quite a stark contrast to your previous statement. Unless this is your way of saying that unregulated Sawyerism boils down making shit games for casuals with poor taste? After all you've said that you like the gameplay of his previous games and that your and Sawyer's perception of what constitutes good gameplay or a good video game is not that of normal people/people who actually play RPGs and enjoy them.

Sam Ecorners

Arcane
Patron
So uhhh, what are the chances of Obsidian pulling a WL2? Wl2 was hated in beta, people talked about it having no soul, generic, shit blah blah :rpgcodex:

Now, all of a sudden it's super incline, old-skewl and :love:

What are the chances of same shit happening here, cuz it's kkkodex and :codexisfor:

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I still hate WL2. It's mediocre at best. Wait for the honeymoon buzz to wear off. The Codex fapped to Dragon Age as well.

Obviously the only way to eleminate outside influence destroying sawyer's pure vision is for him to work alone.

Sawyer must become the new Cleve.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
He's still young enough to do that Darklands-style game on his own.

Ninjerk

Arcane
I still hate WL2. It's mediocre at best. Wait for the honeymoon buzz to wear off. The Codex fapped to Dragon Age as well.

SRR, too (somewhere between mediocre and decent, imo).

Obviously the only way to eleminate outside influence destroying sawyer's pure vision is for him to work alone.

Sawyer must become the new Cleve.

To make an Epic for the ages, you must take ages to make it!
What prosperous wisdom

Bradylama

Arcane
RTwP can suck my chode. I only hope all of this gorejuss 2D technology can be repurposed for a proper turn-based RPG.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom