Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Windward

Has anyone played this?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/326410/

I was a huge Pirates! fan back in the day and no game has been able to scratch that itch since.

I wonder if this is any good; however, the game's Steam page mentions something about co-op and I'm not interested in that at all.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Keeping an eye on it... waiting for bundle status. Just because it has coop doesn't mean you HAVE to play it in coop.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It seems to have left Early Access suspiciously early. Last time I checked, the game was unfinished and repetitive.

I suspect this is another case of "we've run out of money so let's call our next alpha build Version 1.0".

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I actually bought it because I was jonesing for any kind of ship sailing game at the time. I bought it some months ago and haven't touched it ever since so I'm not too sure what improvements the game has gone through so I'll just go with what I know. The combat was definitely the best part of the game but that isn't saying much. The trading and questing were repetitive, shallow and tedious busywork. Questing was less so since there is some variety (some fetch quests, some town protection quests, etc. standard MMO shit to be honest), but the trading was so awful that I really question why the dev even bothered to implement it in the first place. Would've been for the better if he had just dumped it. Since the game world doesn't really have any economy it's kinda boring to take part in trading. You also don't make that much cash by trading. Sinking pirate ships will be more fun and will you reward you with more XP and money at a faster rate than what you could hope to get from trading.
As for the game itself, CB kinda nailed it by calling it repetitive. It's just that. You go to a zone, grind for loot, money for a new ship, grind XP for more levels and then move on to the next zone that's at a higher level where you do the same thing all over again. Repeat it ad nauseam and that's what the game is like. There are no significant changes between a level 1 zone and a level 15 zone either. Mechanically they are the same, enemies just have better stats. It's pretty banal.

Edit: I can't even find any patch notes for Windward in the Steam forums so I kinda doubt that the game has gone through any significant changes since I got the game. Buyer beware.

Last edited:

vonAchdorf

Arcane
It seems to have left Early Access suspiciously early. Last time I checked, the game was unfinished and repetitive.

I suspect this is another case of "we've run out of money so let's call our next alpha build Version 1.0".

IIRC, the game was made by the guy who created the only passable UI system for Unity (NGUI) until years later, Unity hired him to counsel on their (endlessly delayed, now finally released) new UI system.
Here's a writeup by him shortly before the 1.0 release:
http://www.tasharen.com/?p=4745

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It's a stripped down Port Royale game, if you want to pay $5 for that, go ahead.

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Best pirate game is Cutthroats: Terror on the High Seas.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom