Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wine vs Native vs Virtual Machine

Severian Silk

1000 games don't work on Linux = games' fault

Severian Silk

Also, my personal data and browsing habits are safe with Microsoft because Microsoft is a :bro:.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anybody got a reliable list of (old) games that gained Linux ports? Wiki list sux and popular sites have infos about only newer titles.

Never had a chance to complete Wages of SiN thanks to XP incompatibilty, is this mission pack compatible with Linux SiN port by Hyperion?

After several tried of running Wiz8 on Wine I give up :( And gaem has Platinum / Golden status on WineHQ.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, how do you guyz use Wine? Step by step, with additional librarries, drivers and shit.

How's compatibility of CrossOver? Since it's non-freeware stuff, is it better than Wine / PlayOnLinux? Or are there any other possibilites?

I have also a bunch of geamz ported to Linux by Loki Soft (Shogo, Rune etc) and seriously, cannot run any of it. I'm following instruction closely all of them are fucked when started because of unkown errors.

Epsilon

Cipher
After several tried of running Wiz8 on Wine I give up :( And gaem has Platinum / Golden status on WineHQ.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, how do you guyz use Wine? Step by step, with additional librarries, drivers and shit.

How's compatibility of CrossOver? Since it's non-freeware stuff, is it better than Wine / PlayOnLinux? Or are there any other possibilites?

I have also a bunch of geamz ported to Linux by Loki Soft (Shogo, Rune etc) and seriously, cannot run any of it. I'm following instruction closely all of them are fucked when started because of unkown errors.
Out of interest whats the problem? You can't start it or it runs very fast?

Wiz8? Doesn't even start, the same with 3DSetup.exe via Wine. No error, no crash, just nothing happens. I've tried demo version as well, same results.

Epsilon thx, GOG version worked, even with polish translation patch. It's weird since it's 1.24 version that has 'garbage' status on WineHQ :salute: I guess that running things via Wine is a hit-or-miss job.

Only bug that annoys me is the crash after selecting 'exit game', any way to fix it?

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
Just out of interest I tried installing my old copy of Windows 7 in virtualbox to see how the performance compared to wine. It immediately upgraded itself to Windows 10, which wasn't a problem since it's quarantined. I know virtualbox doesn't have great direct3D support so wasn't expecting much, and games which run in VB and wine run much faster in wine, but it has enabled me to play games that didn't work in wine like Endless Legend.

Destroid

Arcane
Just out of interest I tried installing my old copy of Windows 7 in virtualbox to see how the performance compared to wine. It immediately upgraded itself to Windows 10, which wasn't a problem since it's quarantined. I know virtualbox doesn't have great direct3D support so wasn't expecting much, and games which run in VB and wine run much faster in wine, but it has enabled me to play games that didn't work in wine like Endless Legend.

Endless Legend runs on Unity, pretty sad they can't put out a linux version.

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
Endless Legend runs on Unity, pretty sad they can't put out a linux version.

It seems like it requires .NET to do the scenario generation. The title screen comes up fine in wine but it crashes when starting a new game. Somebody on WineDB managed to get it working but I got stuck in .NET dependency hell and gave up.

Khorne

Arbiter
It seems like it requires .NET to do the scenario generation. The title screen comes up fine in wine but it crashes when starting a new game. Somebody on WineDB managed to get it working but I got stuck in .NET dependency hell and gave up.
It's either .NET or mono, I don't think it can use both at the same time. Maybe with registry overrides but it does install mono by default and one must set manual overrides.
Kind of a mess, because each major wine version needs a specific mono version.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom