Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline With all the amazing games made in the engine...

Unwanted

Slix

Unwanted
How come codex hasent made the ultimate rpg in rpgmaker yet? Hosent question.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Grimoire will be out soon. Hold your horses.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
How come codex hasent made the ultimate rpg in rpgmaker yet? Hosent question.
Cuz it's awful
Says its awfal.
Website did like 6 reviews on a unity engine game
Lel
Have you ever tried to make anything other than generic JRPG #2184$382$82 in RPGM? I have and it doesn't work out without a disproportionate amount of work and energy that you could put toward learning C++ or some other coding language and making your own better engine.

Wayward Son

Still didn't answer my question, least rpgmaker games tend to be turned based and actually run on pc's
And play like console games
Like wasteland 2 and torment right?
Never said I liek those. In fact Wasteland 2 bored the shit outta me and Torment(assuming you mean ToN here) I've heard is shit and had gotten shit reviews.
Also, a major difference is that those can be played MKB without it feeling like you should be using a game pad.

Wayward Son

Also its possible to make first persona dungeon crawlers eith rpg maker like wizardry, hoe the shit dose that play like a console game? You sayin consoles should have turned based games while pc's shold stick to rtwp garbage? In that case styg should port underrail to the box one
Show me one finished game that was made in RPGM like that and I will retract my statements. Btw, my opinions come from pre-MV (mostly VX Ace). Also, I'm talking how the UI is interacted with. Lastly sorry if my posts seems a little incoherent.

Wayward Son

Also have you ever tried working in it? One of my points is it's inflexibility (tho I heard that got better in MV, not wasting my money on that tho). He probably spent hours upon hours just modifying the engine to allow for most of that. And the systems are already (hard-)coded in so you have very little flexibility barring(once again) recoding the engine. This is time that could be better spent creating a game from scratch or in the only decent engine I've ever used, Godot.

Wayward Son

http://www.rpginabox.com/
Set of tools for Godot with which to do it.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=539629193
Dual stick steampunk shooter with RPG elements.

Never played any of these so can't vouch for how good they are, but there is one fact. Since the engine has less hard-coded into it, it naturally has more flexibility to create what you want. RPGM is better for generic JRPGs but if you want to make anything else, for the effort, you are better off with something else.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Why are you debating with this obvious troll?

Severian Silk

I started a game in VX Ace but the "tb tactics" script someone was working on was abandoned by the developer, so I quit.

I might look into MV when it gets cheap. (It was actually p cheap in the last Steam sale, but I passed.) There is a tactics script in development for it at the moment, and it supports isometric perspective which is nice.

Not sure MV supports mouse. I think it's limited to KB and gamepad, like all the others. I prefer mouse.

Expon

Scholar
Also have you ever tried working in it? One of my points is it's inflexibility (tho I heard that got better in MV, not wasting my money on that tho). He probably spent hours upon hours just modifying the engine to allow for most of that. And the systems are already (hard-)coded in so you have very little flexibility barring(once again) recoding the engine. This is time that could be better spent creating a game from scratch or in the only decent engine I've ever used, Godot.
That game blink linked (at least I think it's blink again...) actually isn't just copy pasted to the engine. It's a project started by 2channers remaking the game rather than porting, they would have one guy enhancing and making new sprites, others for scripting to mimic the game systems like the comp and demon recruitment, not to mention adding in extra goodies like demons new heroines and way more dungeons. I posted already in that reddit and screenshot thread but it truly sickens me that people just rub off rpg maker and dismiss it for seeming basic, there are a lot of rpg and even wolf rpg editor where people showed that these things are more capable if you take em seriously.

https://matome.naver.jp/m/odai/2147193866898867401 (fire emblem)

https://matome.naver.jp/m/odai/2146513277677683101 (dragon quest remakes/enhancement that play better than the originals)

https://matome.naver.jp/m/odai/2149422589179624901 (etrian odyssey fan game)

As you can see, most of these games despite being made in so called basic rpg editor's, actually play like real games and some even play better than the originals. Only because these people don't just download rpg maker or other editors to make basic maps, they download engines to make games. while alot of people made basic ones sure, it is possible to make complex system using the maker and that applys to other engines like unity or unreal.
I uploaded the game txt in that reddit thread, you can see love went into it if you like at the amount of custom scripts they had to chrun, I personally wished more games like this in the engine were on steam. (the ones that are there are either snes like games for the nostalgic crowd or werid action horror games) Meh what would I know. I should be posting more mobile rpg news instead, now if you'll excuse me, I'll get back to play that Stalker demo... On my phone.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
I have to admit I've thought about it, because of the enormous amount of work that goes into building RPG engines. And even if you manage to complete the engine, you have to make a game with it, which can be a lot more work depending on how ambitious you are. But for me to be remotely interested I would have to be able to add rules as complex as AD&D, or even better some community member did it, all while adhering to the terms of the Open Gaming License (which is not easy). I can do this using a game engine but can I do that in RPGMaker? And if I ever get bored with 2D RPGs, using a decent game engine I can upgrade my RPG engine to 3D, or I could make a prestigious title like this:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...devil-donut-lad-the-definitive-review.114514/

Moonrise

The Magnificent
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
RPG Maker is a tool designed for one thing. It's good at that one thing. But if you don't want to make a Dragon Quest style JRPG, you're gonna bang your head against the wall. For the job of making any RPG subgenre, you want a multi-purpose tool. There is a FOSS engine, Enigma, which maintains compatibility with Game Maker Studio, and its easy to use scripting language. That's all well and good, but then you run into another problem: assets. Artists are notoriously flaky, and they don't work for free. Big studios can throw money at the problem; indies can't. If you try to contract the work over time to multiple artists in order to defer expenses, your game will come out looking like Grimoire (no offense, Cleve.) While you can find Creative Commons art on websites like Open Game Art, the problem of inconsistency remains. In all likelihood, you'll find a programmer, writer and musician who will work freely on a passion project. Unfortunately, humans are visual creatures. Supply and demand. The folks at the Codex may overlook an eyesore, but there's a difference between an ugly game and one lacking a bestiary altogether.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom