Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Dimguil (Gaiden 5)

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
...it allows importing your chars from Wiz Gaiden 3 and 4 (Throb)! You need the codes generated by the game(s) when you finish them so you can then input them into Dimguil's extra thing tucked inside the normal Training Grounds.

This one comes w/ English language options only for:

- enemy names
- all gear/items
- player-character names
- magic spells

Unfortunately, that's it. Unlike Gaiden 6 (Wiz Gaiden 6: The Prisoner of the Battles for PS2/PC), Dimguil is most definitely full of moon runes. Lotsa NPCs yammering at you as well.

Anyway, here's me doing some fights in the 1st dungeon area using the 6 pre-created characters found inside the Tavern:

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Dimguil_zpsyjky7ubk.jpg

Hengki Kusuma Adi

BTW, the game name is just always said "Wizardry Dimguil", not to mention about "Gaiden 5/V" however… Where did you read Wizardry Gaiden 5 Dimguil came from?

Puck Man

Novice
This game looks pretty good. I"ve been trying to find a physical copy but the only ones I see are on ebay for quite a bit.
I guess I never realized it was a gaiden game.

aweigh: What do you mean this game is full of moon runes? What are the moon runes?

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Gamerhenky = because it is the fifth gaiden game made by the devs, and it supports importing parties from the previous two gaiden titles. The sixth gaiden game made by the same devs was the PS2's Wizardry Gaiden: Prisoner of the Battles, although that one is only a spiritual successor as it does not have anything story-wise to do with the previous 5 games.

Puck Man = moon runes are japanese characters.

Dorarnae

Arbiter
I prefer prisoners of the battle, but this is still a great wizardry. While there isn't a tons of items like elminage, I found the drops/drop rate to be well done. the Muramasa blade is really rare though, only got one after many hours of farming...(maybe it has higher drop chance in another area though).

the post game dungeon is quite crazy.

Hengki Kusuma Adi

Gamerhenky = because it is the fifth gaiden game made by the devs, and it supports importing parties from the previous two gaiden titles. The sixth gaiden game made by the same devs was the PS2's Wizardry Gaiden: Prisoner of the Battles, although that one is only a spiritual successor as it does not have anything story-wise to do with the previous 5 games.

I understand what you're saying…

Wizardry Dimguil, there is no "Gaiden 5" in there.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
:necro:

aweigh, do you know if there's an English translation of Dimguil yet? A half assed search indicates it's not, and that it's more difficult to translate for technical reasons.

Also, how dow transfer from Gaiden 4 to Dimguil work when the former is SNES and the latter PS2?

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
It uses some weird and heavy compression. I really don't see it happening any time soon, if ever.

As for the transferring from SNES to PS1 (it wasn't PS2), I believe they used some contraption that plugged into the SNES bottom-port (normally unused). I could have dreamt reading that, tho, i.e. this is something I remember reading in some japanese fan site translated through Google, so... yeah.

newtmonkey

Arcane
You can transfer characters from Gaiden III or IV into Dimguil using a password system. I've never attempted it and have only barely played Dimguil, so I don't know the details, but it's mentioned quite often on Japanese sites.

Dorarnae

Arbiter
dimguil is pretty good. I prefer prisoners of the battle but it's still a very good wizardry. I should play the one on snes eventually, I think the whole gaiden serie is good.

Cyanide

Novice
I need help to complete the 1st floor on the training area; I cant use Dumapic spell or Malor to warp and im getting lost
And I need to complete this place to access the postgame dungeon :(

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I need help to complete the 1st floor on the training area; I cant use Dumapic spell or Malor to warp and im getting lost

If you have GridCartographer you can make your own profile+maps, the location data is easy to find in memory

HCDeYNw.jpg

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

Here is a (Japanese) site with maps to the training area:

https://ganbarustars.info/games/archives/584#w5

You could maybe use google translate to read the information on this page.

Excellent, I'm playing through the first area and this will help with some of the stuff

Cyanide

Novice
Im currently on Area B, trying to get the Golden Armor, I need it to access a tiny door on Area D. Thank goodness there are many videos on youtube about this game, there's even a video of a user who made a speedrun of this game in 2 hours:
https://youtu.be/kR92j0MmQKc

Cyanide

Novice

Here is a (Japanese) site with maps to the training area:

https://ganbarustars.info/games/archives/584#w5

You could maybe use google translate to read the information on this page.

Excellent, I'm playing through the first area and this will help with some of the stuff
About the training area, Im planning to leave it to the end, before I defeat the final boss

newtmonkey

Arcane
I actually just began playing this a few days ago and am enjoying it quite a lot. It's nice to be playing a Wizardry game again after slumming it with The Bard's Tale series.

Wizardry Dimguil is seen as somewhat of a masterpiece among Japanese Wizardry fans, and its easy to see why right from the beginning. It's got the deeper combat and additional races and classes from Gaiden IV (inherited from Wizardry VI), some excellent level design, and easily some of the best 2D monster artwork around.

The game is also notorious for a buggy initial release, that reportedly crashed somewhat reliably during certain events (especially during the optional card game). A fixed version was released and at one time owners of the bugged version could exchange their discs for the fixed version either through the publisher or certain retailers. I went through the trouble of finding and buying the fixed version at some expense (the bugged game can be found easily for under 2000 yen, but the fixed version can cost anywhere from 5000 to 13000 yen!).

Having said that, the bugs can be avoided by 1) not playing the card game and 2) not pressing buttons during spell casting effects.

I do have some minor complaints:
- It goes back to the Wizardry I-IV style of fixed dungeon sizes. I enjoyed exploring the larger and non-uniform mazes in Wizardry V and it's a shame that Dimguil doesn't have these.
- There is still no way to get detailed equipment statistics. This is true for every classic Wizardry game, but is particularly annoying here (and Gaiden IV for that matter) due to the sheer amount of equipment available along with additional weapon stats such as range and number of attacks. The manual doesn't even provide stats for basic equipment!
- I don't know why this is a thing in a lot of Japanese Wizardry games, but the comedy-relief NPC party you encounter is retarded. I hate this "cute" stuff that infests otherwise serious Japanese games.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I was wondering about those parties you meet, but since they speak all in moonrunes I can't "enjoy" their humor

btw. humor, Murphy's Ghost looks like a gay vampire, not sure I like that design

EcqAaHbU8AEIAeJ

newtmonkey

Arcane
I loled when I ran into him the first time, complete with CG cut scene. Lousy EXP reward though, especially since he can cause paralysis!

AArmanFV

Arbiter
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
By the way, what references the Murphy's Ghosts? It has to be some humorous reference to something like the cuisinarts from the blades of the mixers of the same brand, right? Or maybe I'm overthinking.

aweigh you who know everything, or someone else.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
By the way, what references the Murphy's Ghosts? It has to be some humorous reference to something like the cuisinarts from the blades of the mixers of the same brand, right? Or maybe I'm overthinking.

aweigh you who know everything, or someone else.

I always thought it was some play on Murphy's Law, otherwise not sure

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom