Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Empire 1 - The Ancient Princess - Work-In-Progress translation; now w/ some videos.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Dorarnae
Courtier
Siveon
Deuce Traveler
Celerity
Helly
MrRichard999
Viata
Comte
Zetor
Dorateen
Mustawd
H-K
Anthony Davis

Screenshot%202016-05-10%2023.17.28_zpssqltg6w7.jpg
Screenshot%202016-05-10%2023.17.48_zpscw8ugohs.jpg
Screenshot%202016-05-10%2023.17.56_zpspdxmypbj.jpg
Screenshot%202016-05-10%2023.18.14_zps99fhyllq.jpg
Screenshot%202016-05-10%2023.18.19_zps7nifiued.jpg
Screenshot%202016-05-10%2023.20.08_zpsnn2mjoas.jpg
Screenshot%202016-05-10%2023.16.48_zpsvg18jwyi.jpg
Screenshot%202016-05-10%2023.16.32_zpspanpk66h.jpg
Screenshot%202016-05-10%2023.16.01_zps9pdfaoyv.jpg
Screenshot%202016-05-10%2023.15.54_zpspg03bogm.jpg

EDIT: I'm uploading the latest beta version of the translation in a .zip file; it is only 130mb. Will post link in a bit.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
well, the game is mostly in english except for NPC dialog. once helly finishes and sends that document back to me It'll probably take me around me 1 or 2 solid weeks, probably less, of hammering in his english words. The english you see in those pictures I actually translated myself using a program/tool that is called a Japanese text and translation dictionary program.

You feed it the japanese text and it breaks the content down word-by-word, phonetically mostly if i'm not mistaken, and then it spits out dictionary definitions of each word and it attempts to create a possible translation string; but of course it requires human usage to get a good translation out of it. Needless to say the end result is far more accurate than using google translate but it does take an UNBELIEVABLY HUGE amount of time to translate text in that manner. Just imagining doing a big script using that dictionary program makes me want to cry. It also is dependant on the amount of research you put in as well, as for example:

sometimes it won't have a word or a specific combination of "japanese vowels" (they exist but not really) so the program will output a phonetic text string of letters and you have to use brain power to figure it out. For example it might output "jimani" in the middle of a sentence talking about countries/continents/etc; so you (correctly) assume that it means GERMANY.

It's kind of like the chrome browser extension except actually good. In fact the "errors" you can notice in the english dialog in those pictures is actually 100% due to my own lazy ass; probably underslept and eyes not focusing too well from hours staring at LCD so I only now noticed some syntax errors in the pictures! I also noticed I left out a lot of punctuation. Heh. To be fair I wasn't intending that dialog to be final; just wanted to do something. For all intents and purposes it is placeholder.

right now while the game script is still being translated i'm dedicating myself to learning how to hack in rudimentary font width hacks into other games that I want tot ranslate once I finish wiz-empire-1, those games being wiz-empire-3 and elminage 2 for psp. Been having a lot of fun doing this... heh, more than actually playing.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Man, that looks awesome aweigh. Both your translating and the game itself!

Glad you're enjoying yourself as well, this looks like the sort of project that needs to be a labour of love rather than a chore. It's amazing to think you more or less taught yourself all this, just please don't have the typical modder meltdown and self-eject!

:brodex:

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
https://firedrop.com/1dbb74b6c2cb79fd

I DOUBt i'll self-eject as i'm not really doing this for "release" although i'm more than happy if other people enjoy the wizardry games as well. to put it bluntly the sole reason i even became interested in trying to translate wiz empire 1 was because... i really, really, really wanted to play it. that's it. i'd finished mrrichard999's eng-translation of wiz-empire-2 and i needed a FIX and i needed it bad; and when i saw that the 1st game had been released on PC the very first thing i did was start rooting around its files and luckily, (now this was truly providence!), StarFish wisely decided to ship wiz-empire-1 on pc with all of its files unpacked.

this means that when i was looking inside its folder i saw files that were titled:

item.dat
mondata.dat
spell.dat
etc, etc.

I asked richard how one would go about getting inside those files and then just translating at least the items/spells/monsters if possible and that's how i got hooked.

of course now i have realized how very lucky i was with the fact that the pc release of wiz-empire-1 has its files unpacked because basically 95% of all games have their files tightly packed/compressed and it's major pain in the ass... just getting the shit you want to edit/translate out is basically half the job (or more).

lol it took me like 2 solid weeks of googling to learn how to successfully extract shit/files/textures/etc from PSP games and then also to RE-INSERT them. it's all very enjoyable because i've never done any of this stuff, and the best example would be image editing. i had never before in my life EVER edited a single image until I realized that some games had dialog/text embedded inside graphical textures that would require image editing.

also learning hexadecimal codifications and all that is great fun it's useful for all sorts of shit, least of them being easily editing your random game's save file or simply editing the game's files to make your own mods.

for example i'm playing wiz-empire-1 with enemies having 25% extra defense (lower AC) and 25% extra DMG. Now who knows if during the mid-game / end-game i'll get hopelessly curbstomped but whatevs it's for fun. also i've been making new weapons and armor for the game but i haven't mentioned anything because they're not exactly... that well balanced :D

what i think i'll end up doing once the game is translated is port the weapons/armor from the 2nd and 3rd games that aren't in the 1st game although the values will need lots of tweaking.

of course the biggest advantage i have here is that i'm mostly focused/interested on dungeon crawlers and/or Wiz-clones and these type of RPG's feature usually very little dialog. Even dialog-heavy ones like Elminage or for example the Generation XTH series are really small potatoes in terms of quantity of text when you compare these games to a "traditional RPG", be it western or eastern.

It would literally be IMPOSSIBLE for 1 person to translate a big regular RPG. Well, that is, until I go ahead with my personal re-localization of FF 4 with TRUE ACCURATE SCRIPT !!!!111 psyche

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Wizardry Empire 1 is, still, awaiting a script translation. I have no problem waiting for someone to translate the many NPC conversations in the game. Well, "many" may be an overstatement but each one is very important and I want the translation to be as good as it can possibly. I found out a while ago that in the later dungeons, including the post-game dungeon, there are riddles that have to be solved; similar to what Starfish did in the sequel, Empire 2, but not as overboard as they went in that one. (Empire 2 has 50 fucking riddles!!! But you get a cool prize for answering all 50 and you only need to answer around 25 to finish the game, and around 40 for post-game).

In comparison Empire 1 is most definitely its little brother; the dungeons are actually bigger than the ones in Empire 2 but they come with all of the good and bad things that design decision brings. In each Empire 1 dungeon there are always 1-3 story NPC's hanging around who tell you a ton of the game world's history and some very interesting Wizardry lore:

- The so-called "Ancient Princess" of Empire 1 is none other than Gnilda from Wizardry 2: The Knight of Diamonds!
- ...and lots of other cool stuff that you will only care about if you've played all of the Wizardry games and I won't spoil it anyway for when the translation's done.

They also give valuable hints on how to proceed. This is actually important because Starfish used to be a grimdark tough as fuck motherfucking motherfucker RPG company. They still are, of course, and the Elminage series is next to godliness... but the first two Empire games, released in 2001 and 2003 respectively (PC dates), were Starfish studios' first big-time games after years working as freelancers on random crap: the copmany founders are and i assume still are some of the biggest and most ardent lovers of Wizardry ever. It literally shines through every single pixel of Wizardry Empire 1, 2 and to a lesser extent 3.

I mean, for fuck's sake, in the Empire 2 post-game as soon as you enter the 1st floor of that dungeon there is a tile on the floor than when stepped on tells yout: "LONG LIVE WIZARDRY! CONGRATULATIONS ON MAKING IT THIS FAR!".

I damn near almost cried.

As I was saying, Starfish used to not fuck around with their dungeons. Empire 1 nad 2 are NOT EASY. But don't worry, they're so intelligently designed it's almost impossible to blame the games for your being stuck or getting wiped or whatever. Just to put it in perspective: right from the very 1st floor of the very first intro-dungeon (which is no intro-dungoen whatsoever) in Empire 1 AND 2 the player is presented with increasingly complex combinations of one-way hall-ways, one-way doors, forced-movement "currents" that block routes, chutes that WILL drop you into a much lower level of the dungeon and have you land in a no-magic zone surrounded by super high level enemies and no idea how to make your way back. (of course they always give you one; you just have to man up and not crumble under pressure).

Fuck, to this day Empire 1 and Empire 2 are still the only two dungeon crawlers I've ever played where the designers, probably while out of their minds on PCP, decided it would be AWESOME to include some Dark-Zone areas where almost half the walls inside the dark-area are mined with explosives and explode and kill you dead real quick if you bump into the walls while finding your way in the dark.

That is fucking diabolical. It's probably also one of the my fondest memories of Empire 2! The have maintained a basline level of challenge in the Elminage series thanks to the almost PERFECT sophistication they have achieved in the use of their Wiz-clone game mechanics. Elminage games are literally what Wizardry games would be today if they were still being released by the original creators and with a desire to continually polish and polish and polish, not revolutionize, but polish polish polish into a supreme shine all fo the mechanics. They also bring the pain with the excellently balanced Elminage enemies who will behead your entire party in the 1st turn without breaking a sweat.

However the dungeons are definitely, oooh most definitely not up to the level of the 3 Empire games, 1 and 2 being the real examples. What happened is that they were getting a lot of feedback from everywhere, consumers/media/etc, back when they were releasing the Empire games, and the feedback was universal: TOO. HARD.

that is (part) of the reason(s) that Empire 3 on PSP is so generic and boasts no good dungeon design. Only competent one. It is also EXTREMELY easy, especially if you're coming off the steroids-fueled rides that are empire 1 and 2.

And surprise surprise, empire 3 tanked (well mabye not that bad, it did get a psp port after all); and they lost the Wizardry license. Thus: Elminage.

in any case, meanwhile I've put elminage 2 PSP on the side (i.e. never gonna touch it again; riddled with too many technical issues that are beyond me), and am finishing up Empire 3 on PSP and have started feverishly translating Wizardry Gaiden 6: The Five Ordeals for Windows PC.

the Empire games actually do have WAAAY more a traditional narrative story threaded throughout the games than any of the classic Wizardries. Although the amount of NPCs is low, every floor of every single dungeon is JAM PACKED with stuff for you to read or iteract with that will sometimes give you good advice on how to proceed, and sometimes will intentionally lie to you; this "dungeon texts" thing is also where the player will learn about the history of the game's world and all of the interconnectedness that it features. All 3 of the Wizardry Empire games take place decades and decades, and in the case of Empire 3 HUNDREDS of years after the canonical ending of Wizardry 5.

(Wizardry 6-8 do not exist in the eyes of the japanese; and I concur ^_^)

one of the many ways Starfish accomplished getting some story in the Empire games was through what are basically the equivalents of finding an audiolog in a AAA fps game like bioshop or whatever and listening to it as the recording (hopefully) expounds on the game world, on what your situation is comprised of and its many facets and with evne just average-to-competent writing these kinds of interactions are great and seem specifically tailor made for games where you spend the majority of your play time in an anxious progression throguh ever increasing odds and where the way back to town is not guaranteed. It just works. In the case of empire 1, 2 and 3 (1 and 2 much more so) Starfish utilized a veritable huge ole stack of shit that you find inside dungeon rooms and reading them is usually optional but, finding the scattered journal pages of a doomed infantry squad's last mission into the belly of the beast, each page describing the state of the empire, how fucked up the war was, and how committed they were to dying for their country; it's not WOW but it's very much appreciated of starfish.

uh, basically I guess what I wanted to say is that this isn't vapor ware basically.

r00fles!

b3f-last-door-text_zpsmjuvcyc8.jpg
b3f-2_zps6s2eonh5.jpg
b3f-5_zpsaegplhfz.jpg

b4f-1_zpsbbbdwmko.jpg

b4f-2_zpsqko2bba7.jpg
b4f-3_zpspg3bqafk.jpg

b4f-5_zpst9ursnjw.jpg
b4f-6_zpsya7btd9l.jpg

b4f-save_zpskdwrnwxw.jpg

faust-10_zpsazou6ddr.jpg

faust-4_zps5mbcydhb.jpg
faust-3_zpsviirbbzv.jpg

b4f-7_zpsxddnhakd.jpg
b4f-12_zpsoxvi2bcw.jpg

b4f-8_zpsopycmf63.jpg

b4f-9_zps0kixgssb.jpg

* the Faust dialog is place-holder text!

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
yes. you are not seeing wrong. this is a windows PC wizardry game made in 2007 specifically in the same mold as the first five Wizardries; they modernized it by introducing item enchanting which requires hefty fees be paid as well as knowledge of the particular spell.

...and guess what? In, of course!, TRUE wizardry fashion the enchanted properties that end up on the items are RANDOMIZED. FUUUCK YEESSSS.

It's so much more awesome than you even think because sometimes getting a "bad" enchantment, such as receving your full plate back with an enchantment that causes double-damage to the wearer when attacked by demonic creatures, but you suddenly notice it also has a secondary effect of inflicting extra damage versus divine-types, of which many Wizardry enemies fall under.

It's fairly hard as well. If you enter the Maze with a level 1 party of 6, fighter, fighter, priest, thief, mage, bishop (the classic setup), equipped each with 1x Longsword/Shortsword/Shield/Leather Armor/Robes, again, the Wiz-classic equipment loadout when starting out: you can definitely expect to possibly die from the first random encounter if you get unlucky.

Just like it should be. The default game itself already comes with spells and items in english (thanks japan), but all of the spells were incorrectly titled. Can you believe they named DUMAPIC as "Wizard's Eye"?

W I Z A R D ' S E Y E ????!?

jesus christ. I had to re-write every single spell, and I'm probably going to re-write the majority of the equipment/loot as well as I already noticed some romaji-desu-desu phonetic spellings on some weapons and armor.

They actually mispelled Thief btw. In the default game it says "Theif". :kingcomrade:

EDIT: btw, take a look at this shot for a moment--
30_zpsggiwfrdu.jpg

the reason the two sentences read so... stiff and disparate is because I didn't know that the 2nd sentence there would appear in the same message box as the 1st sentence. When you are editing text strings it's sometimes impossible to tell unless you're REALLY paying attention to the pointers and the control characters that the devs used for the text boundaries. I was just translating away as fast as possible so when I launch the game I see that picture, and then one immediately realizes all of the many ways one could edit those sentences into something much more natural.

In fact, once you know the specifics, you can make it 1 single sentence running across both of the text strings. But, at least in my case, I'm not l33t enough yet; playtesting is probably the single best way to not only see how your editing will show up in-game, which is obviously extremely important, but it also alerts you to situations such as the one in that picture. You see something in-game, know immediately EXACTLY what it is that's the "problem", and it gives you ideas and motivation to make it better.

I already made it 1 single sentence, in this specific example. It also allowed me to go back in and pay attention to determine just when text strings will be all in the same box or if one will follow the other or vice-versa. Also, sometimes you simply have no way of knowing what you're translating where it will show up in game. I thought those strings referred to specific event doors which is why I decided to use "This door..." whereas normally I would've written "The door is locked.". Just stream-of-consciousness here for anyone that'll find it interesting.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Siveon
CryptRat
Courtier
Mustawd

i'm too lazy to pirate FRAPS so i can record videos longer than 30 seconds but i think these get the point across fairly well. the game itself is all in english except for the npc conversations and the in-dungeon "event text", which is all currently "placeholder text translation" done by myself using an electronic japanese dictionary to translate.

i am aware that regardless of any of that the text itself needs to be re-formatted as you can see in many instances letters cut off, with the most obvious example being the faery's name "darkness without feaR" and that 'R' missing.

this is a direct result of the heavy modifying of the default game's native font rendering/display/etc which is all thanks to ThisNameIsFree basically gifting me on a silver platter out of the goodness of his heart the "how to change it"; i.e. he was the one that originally backtraced the hex values needed to change the font's look. i simply took what he showed me and got waaay extreme with it which is why the font looks so different and skinny.

here is some video of the game with the DEFAULT font, but using ONLY ThisNameIsFree's original modification and _not_ using my further tweaks:

I prefer how it looks tweaked to maximum skinnyness but it fucked up the formatting which means tons and tons of re-typing.

EDIT: btw, the "scwhing!" SFX that plays when you do a melee attack is something I modded into the game. As you can tell when I cast MAHALITO the game doesn't really deliver any actual SFX during spells/normal attacks, AFAIK the default game only does it when a BEHEADING occurs.

I also modded in the SFX for the walking. It's the best I could... I know it sounds like walking over water but compared to the alternative I think it's sorely needed.

I actually considered not even informing these facts because quite frankly, when this thing is in english and you guys are playing it i am 100% sure if i had never mentioned this no one would have ever noticed; but i feel the need for full disclosure.

original non-SFX files are safe and sound, so no worries for any purists who want no SFX.

EDIT EDIT: OH! and if any of you can offer walking/melee hits/spell casting hit SFX, even if it's just ripped from other games, by all means send them to me via PM!

let's be real there is zero chance of copyright infringement here :D

MrRichard999
Ideally what i would love is to replace the walking/melee SFX with the files from Empire 2 but I don't have the haxx0r skillz to rip them out of the Empire 2 .PAK files.

can you make this happen?

EDIT x3: and yes i am obviously super over-leveled for this dungeon which is why it seems like the enemies aren't doing anything. i'm steamrolling them before they get a chance to act.

like in classic Wiz melee enemies, which are the majority of the ones in this 1st dungeon, can't reach my front line if their monster group is 3rd or 4th in line (1st and 2nd enemy groups are top-to-bottom in order; and they represent enemy front-row and enemy back-row... just like in Wizardry 1-7).

that is why when you see me encounter 4 enemy groups you will see me decimate them without them ever touching me as the 3rd and 4th groups are (in these videos) "melee enemies" and they never get a chance.

Last edited:

Mustawd

Personally, I'm not a fan of the super skinny font. I don't beed fat font, but a bit thicker would be nice.

What do you lik about the super skinmy font that you have now?

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
TBH mostly that i spent a lot of time tweaking it, that's all... :))))~~

i'll leave the font as it looks in the most recent videos above, i.e. default font with the fontcreationA "weight" set to "100" in hexadecimal values 012C.

the skinny font, regardless of how much i tweak it there does not seem to be any middle-ground: it goes from default with "100" weight to the skinny font you see in the other videos and the text gets mis-aligned in terms of width and height.

you can what i mean immediately if you watch one of the videos with the skinny font where i open an item's info-box you will see the races and the damage numbers and shit all over the place, so to speak.

needless to say one can fit more text the skinnier the letters but frankly it's not necessary in this case.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Excidium II
Courtier
THAt one was very old. i need to update the Firedrop link. This is a recent video, w/ more English runes:

Aug. 22nd link: https://firedrop.com/d4b8ba12388aec01771dfac215c9c3dc

the weird font stuff like that ugly white "skinny square" that separates text output is long since fixed. the video i uploaded in the above post (above this one) i recorded from the version that's in the firedrop link (which i am updating now with what's in this video)

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Zed Duke of Banville
Lady Error
oasis789
hackncrazy
Great Deceiver
Haplo
Emmanuel2
Roguey
Zetor
an Administrator
Dorarnae
Courtier
Siveon
Deuce Traveler
Celerity
Viata
Comte
Zetor
Dorateen
Mustawd
H-K
Anthony Davis
Beautiful Clown Painting
Jocund
Excidium II
Shackleton

the hype is real. This shit is gun git got. no guess-lation for you fine folks.

look what santa clause (helly being santa here) finished doing:
RwNEEC46KGGPeuTDCsK1exKjFmguSJHHD6MD--8qitI

RwNEEC46KGGPeuTDCsK1exKjFmguSJHHD6MD--8qitI

AND REMEMBER THAT WIZ EMPIRE 2, yes the sequel, is (and has been!) out and 100% in english (thanks as well to helly/richard) already out!!!

so no excuse to play it! Thought maybe some might see this and think I'll wait and play the 1st one first, and even though I know absolutely nobody thought that because this is Wiz series not BIOWARE STUDIOS, but just wanted to say it anyway.

Those two also made sure Wiz Gaiden 4 on snes got translated although on that one they were part of a big team of many different peeps who worked on and off on Gaiden 4 throughout 3-4 years.

Again, i only included the last bit because just wanted to make sure everyone understans that this wasn't som passing fad of mine, i said i'd do it and thanks to richard and helly we all will finish it and this thing will be done and it will be glorious.

FUCK Bradley 3:16
Screenshot%202017-09-18%2023.04.41.png

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
http://frd.li/d4b8ba12388aec01771dfac215c9c3dc

Link to my last-updated English Translation of Wizardry Empire 1: The Ancient Princess FOR WINDOWS PC, i repeat: link is for a roughly 60% complete English Translation of the WINDOWS PC port of WIZ EMPIRE 1 iso.

Things that are fully in english:

- ALL GAME ITEMS (Weapons/armor pieces/etc). THIS IS VERY, VERY IMPORTANT!

- ALL Magic spells are in english and follow traditional Wizardry 1-5 naming conventions.

- All (ok, around 90%) of ENEMIES' names and information (yes, the BESTIARY stuff) is in English.

- Around 80% of the game's entire Item AND Enemy encyclopedia/bestiary information is in English. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT! In english language but incredibly rough, as the following was done BEFORE I received a fully Jap-to-English translation of the game's NPC Dialog and Conversation Script (which I'm currently implementing):

- Around 70% of the NPC dialog/conversations, and more importantly for actual dungeon diving, all of the first 4 floors of the 1st dungeon's: Signposts, Wall Plaques and other misc. text meant to guide the player in ENGLISH.

- TL;DR around 50-60% of the total japanese-language text IN THE FIRST DUNGEON (which is HUGE and is as long, or longer, than say the entirety of Wizardry 1's dungeon levels put together) are in English, be it the dungeon NPCs found in each level's dialog (very rough, pre-translated script from pro-translator which I'm working with now), the "event text" such as sign posts, plaques, and other misc., and...

- Very, very rough translations using my (EXTREMELY LIMITED AND PROBABLY COMPLETELY EMBARRASSING anime-knowledge level of Jap language) of the NPC Dialog INSIDE THE TOWN, i.e. NOT the dungeon NPCs:

- Speaking specifically about the initial "greeting" dialog texts thrown at you from the Town shops, the temple, etc, don't expect much beyond translated greetings BUT I did fully translate the game's ITEM TRADING SYSTEM dialog nodes so you can fully engage in Wiz Empire's awesome "Item Trading Gambling Game" found inside the Adventurer's Tavern in WizEmp1... careful or you might lose a good item if you get crazy "gambling" items trying to score unique!

- Qwinn

Guys, I've humbly asked Richard to take over this project for me as my life stuff (moving to US in February due to Hurrican Maria without any hyperbole whatsoever having completely set back Puerto Rico for at least 15 years)... so... well, TL;DR this shit might actually get finished someday now if he actually decided to take!

Wee!

didntdemon

Novice
My good sir aweigh, how did you get past the screen flickering?

Tried various directx wrappers & watched your youtube attempt to debug, but nothing works for my 64bit Win7 yet.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom