Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Wizardry Empire II PLUS : Oujo no Isan - Legacy of the Princess for PC Translation - Completed!

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
that amulet has good stats. -2 AC if i remember correctly and it classifies as an accessory. there *must* be some way to keep it for yourself; why else would they give it stats.

Courtier

Prophet
EFbhKam.png

P gud, but there is no other way to get the blue ribbon than to trade away the first amulet. If you try fighting the ghost again he says he's tired - but I just tried again in the postgame to check, and he gave me another one (!). You may be able to get a second one earlier by just revisiting the ghost in a bit. Good thinking man

demilich

Novice
Damn, stuck again. How is it possible to open the door on the screen? http://prntscr.com/bndz6a Got the "Heart of Lylgam" and there is a strange samurai standing nearby...

By the way, is name Lilga or Lylgam has some some connections to Llylgamyn from the main Wizardry series? Are the Empire series a prequel or sequel to them?

Courtier

Prophet
02-03.gif

You have to flip switches 1 to 5, you are missing 1.

Here's the wiki for future reference
https://translate.google.com/transl.../babu.com/~dk-second/emp2/&edit-text=&act=url

And here are the Faust riddles (thanks aweigh)
Q 1-10: http://translate.googleusercontent....u1.htm&usg=ALkJrhgT6cDovt2Lhrq78V86Dz7LIIK10Q

Q 11-20: http://translate.googleusercontent....u2.htm&usg=ALkJrhhIH2bCV1Z5HvEYjFrIf339dQmfQg

Q 21-30: http://translate.googleusercontent....u3.htm&usg=ALkJrhiSK6fUSXGeXJ7Jmjrq9jc-AeQkRQ

Q 31-40: http://translate.googleusercontent....u4.htm&usg=ALkJrhitbS_eH2qEfJGBdssygQck__Lrdg

Q 41-50: http://translate.googleusercontent....u5.htm&usg=ALkJrhgeMSDduH73eMuIvruVgG0-Orx6Cw

I'm not sure about Lilga, the story for sure has a connection with main Wiz and it seems to be the same princess but I don't know when exactly this takes place. Later story events were pretty confusing for me as well

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
the samurai is Yuki, and he's princess Llylga's lover/samurai protector. He's in there searching for her.

Of course I only knew all of this after playing through parts i've translated of empire 1, where he's hanging around town making equally cryptic comments.

every single npc in the game is from empire 1, as the princess disappears from the castle less than 5-10 years after empire 1 ending (which i don't know what happens as i have neither finished it nor have i translated the ending yet).

The reason the king orders you to hunt down judah in the beginning is because his entire family is a generation of thieves going back hundreds of years who live below ground, below the city, and they have been a plague on the royals of empire 1/2 for years so that is why he is the first suspect.

EDIT: oh, i just remembered why Yuki is specifically searching some places: he's there mostly to inform the player about the existence of the true dragon god Raiberesu. Good luckfiguring that out early on though hehe.

translation is hard work.

demilich

Novice
Thanks for the answers. More than 16 years ago I've wrote a chronicle of Wizardry story and update it from time to time. It is here: http://demilich.by/wizardry/wiz_01.htm But it is in russian, use google translate

It seems the dragon god is L'kbret from Wizardry 3. Gnilda is a goddess to people of Llylgamyn in Wizardry 2. I need to finish both Empire games to integrate events from them into chronicles, but i have a hunch that Empire series is a prequel to the main series, and the kingdom will be names Llylgamyn in honor of princess Lylga (or Lylgam?) who died just before the events of Empire 2. Just thoughts for now :)

Courtier

Prophet
I saw a samurai, but it was a woman...she went to talk to Turkey in the first dungeon after first being seen alone in the Garden of Purgatory.

There are a bunch of things I still wondering will put them in spoiler
-What was Faust trying to do and why did he fail?
-By the king do you mean the baron or whatever from the start of the game? The dad of Murphy Jr. who goes with the suicide squad, put the blame on Turkey for not following orders/getting all the men killed? Both of them vanished after the maingame.
-Also Judas like the two crooks in castle says Rommel made him kidnap Lilga, is this true and was it just to protect her from Faust's experiment or something? Rommel turned out to be a good guy.
-What exactly happened to Lilga, afaik two princesses were missing and only Gnilda turned into a demon? Was it implied Lilga is dead? The maingame epilogue was in broken english because it was a movie and she never returned, Rommel says the two are connected.
-Who was the swordsman you meet at the bottom of the castle who implies he knows you?

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
demilich

You are correct on both accounts. In fact, the dragon god appears in the front box-covers of the Wizardry Empire games for Game Boy Color. In-game they call the dragon Reiberesu because of mistranslation.

And you are also correct that Gnilda is the very same character from Wizardry 2.

All 3 Wizardry Empire games are official Wizardry canon as they are official Wizardry games that were developed at the SPECIFIC BEHEST of Sir-Tech while in Japan. It was Sir-Tech who comissioned The Wizardry Empire and Wizardry Gaiden games, however, the Gaiden series (currently up to title no. 6) is not part of the western Wizardry story canon but that is of course intentional.

They're fucking gaiden games :D (Side-story).

The Emperor in Wizardry Empire 3 is also referenced in Wizardry 4 but the connection is incredibly loose; they merely lifted the character's name and nothing else.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Courtier

I saw a samurai, but it was a woman...she went to talk to Turkey in the first dungeon after first being seen alone in the Garden of Purgatory.

There are a bunch of things I still wondering will put them in spoiler
-What was Faust trying to do and why did he fail?
-By the king do you mean the baron or whatever from the start of the game? The dad of Murphy Jr. who goes with the suicide squad, put the blame on Turkey for not following orders/getting all the men killed? Both of them vanished after the maingame.
-Also Judas like the two crooks in castle says Rommel made him kidnap Lilga, is this true and was it just to protect her from Faust's experiment or something? Rommel turned out to be a good guy.
-What exactly happened to Lilga, afaik two princesses were missing and only Gnilda turned into a demon? Was it implied Lilga is dead? The maingame epilogue was in broken english because it was a movie and she never returned, Rommel says the two are connected.
-Who was the swordsman you meet at the bottom of the castle who implies he knows you?

- Faust went crazy with power during Empire 1 as he was not only the most powerful Mage in the kingdom but was also the Captain, or equivalent rank, of the Magic Guild of the city. The city is properly called Kashinato which is not the actual name of the city from Empire 1-3, but rather the name of the region. The Kashinato "region" consists of a vast labyrinth of underground caverns and unexplored ruins built before the land was ever settled by the current Humans who live above-ground in Empire 1-3.

- So anyway, Faust went crazy and tried to take the dragon god's power for himself. You were forced to stop him, although obviously you don't kill him; and you also never have to directly fight him. He is more of a tragic figure of sorts than an antagonist.

- The reason the Princess runs away in Empire 2, OOPS SPOILER, (she was not kidnapped), is that during Faust's attempts at usurping the dragon god's powers for himself she got caught in the cross-fire and became... something else. It was she who stopped the madness at the end of Empire 1 and she was changed by the events.

- The female samurai you're referring to is almost definitely the male samurai Yuki inside the 2nd dungeon in Empire 2. He looks like a woman with red hair. re: Japan.

- After Gnilda disappears the city is ruled by the Baron and his son Murphy, and everything that happens is exactly as you describe. Turkey is the Master-At-Arms in Empire 1 and in Empire 2 he is off trying his best to do whatever he can do. He's not really that important.

- I have a strong suspicion that Gnilda's sister is a clone created by Faust.

- If you find Faust's secret laboratory you can read a few notes that loosely state that he specifically built the Mondot creature as a safeguard against any possible hijacking of his biological experimentation. One can only speculate as to who his subjects were but I would guess that it was Gnilda primarily; possibly to clone her or "split" her into good/bad halves, which is why she is a demon at the end.

- If remember correctly isn't the warrior who speaks with you just before fighting Gnilda called Gilgamesh? Gilgamesh is simply a famous adventurer who in Empire 1 is believed dead, and Judas falsely claims to have killed him but you find a note in Gilgamesh's coffin inside a dungeon in Empire 1 which states that he is too l33t to die, and that he is also Rirun's lover.

- Rirun is the tavern operator (or Lilun, whichever translation is fine)-- she is the tavern operator of the day-to-day business of the city's tavern, although the actual owner is someone else who is a minor NPC who only appears in Empire 1. She does not appear in Empire 2. I don't even remember her name.

- Basically Gilgamesh is there because he's awesome and the fact that he's the only other perosn in the entire kingdom to not only realize what has happened to Gnilda but to also reach where she actually is located is meant to convey to the player that he is l33t. There's not really much sub-text there.

- The reason the red-haired samurai seems so forlorn is almost certainly because of Gnilda's fate.

- During Empire 2 Faust is clearly exiled from the kingdom.

- During Empire 1 you can have a dialog in the tavern where Rirun mentions that Gilgamesh went "head-to-head" with Faust. No mention of the outcome.

- And yes, the demonic outbreak is obviously also Faust's fault as it is his tampering that makes everything go to hell.

- The real hero of this story is motherfucking Murphy Jr. haha

demilich

Novice
But the way, is gameboy Wizardry Empire duology has some connections to other Empire games or to the main series? 'Cos I never found even one(. It seems the city there is called Monkarma, and the dungeons - Naraka (Empire 1) and Gordanas (Empire 2)

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
demilich

AFAIK the Game Boy Color entries in the Wizardry Empire series are part of the same general "world", as in it's the same "Wizardry world" and the dragon god on the cover of the box of the games is very much Mr. L'kabreth, or Reiburesu in Japan; but the NPCs and the cities and the dungeons are all different ones and are most certainly simply in another "continent".

I use a lot "quotations" above because that information is simply speculation as none of that is completely spelled out for the player, but if L'kabreth is a dragon god in both the Game Boy Color games and in the PC/Playstation games then obviously the games take place in the same universe.

To put it bluntly however I would say that the Game Boy Color game of Wizardry Empire, which was Starfish's very first Wizardry game ever, was simply a testing of sorts by Sir-Tech to see if they could do a traditional Wizardry game to Sir-Tech's satisfaction. It was Sir-Tech who wanted the japanese Wizardry games made, with the Empire series given the honor of 'canon', as they utilized L'kabreth for the cover of their very first game on the Game Boy Color, while the Gaiden series was pitched to Sir-Tech by success Studio as "Wizardry in Feudal Japan".

The Gaiden series' was given to success Studio (or suzak studio, depending on the game) based on the way they handled the japanese remakes of Wizardry 4 and 5 for Playstation 1 and Sega Saturn. Afterwards (I assume) they pitched the "Feudal Japan Wizardry" angle to Sir-Tech and they got the go-ahead.

So the Empire and the Gaiden series both came out at almost exactly the same time and they both began on the Game Boy.

BTW, demilich, if you want to play some good Wizardry Gaiden right now then the English-language translation for Wizardry Gaiden 4: Throb Of The Demon's Heart for the SNES has just reached completion and there is a thread on this very forum.

Gaiden 1-3 were also translated, mostly by the same team who just finished Gaiden 4, and you can find them on Romhacking.net (as well as the English patch for Gaiden 4).

If you want to know what happened to the Gaiden series developers they went under and there a fifth Gaiden game developed called Wizardry: Dimguil, but it was the studios swan song. That game is only available in Japanese for the moment and it is for Playstation 1.

There is some awesome news though: about 8 years later success Studios came back under the moniker of Studio59 and developed for the PS2 the amazingly good Wizardry Gaiden (6): The Prisoner Of The Battles. You can download an ISO of this game right now and play it on a PS2 emulator and have a great time as it features English-language options for the menus and items and enemies. It is not a story driven Wizardry game, unlike both Empire and Gaiden 1-5 which both series feature an emphasis on world-building and narrative (well, as far as those things exist in a Wizardry game).

Unlike the Empire games and Gaiden 1-5, Studio59's "The Prisoner Of The Battles" for PS2 is a completely hard-core remake of Wizardry 1-5 mechanics with the only additions being a weapons and armor Enchanting system. The focus of the games is purely on dungeon crawling, just like Wizardry 1-5, and there are no NPCs to talk to inside dungeons. That is not a complaint, btw, as I consider "The Prisoner Of The Battles" quite possibly the single most addictive and pure Wizardry game made outside of the original 5 scenarios. Its dungeons are great and if you like dungeon crawling and building up your party and finding loot then you will love it.

There is a sequel to it, Wizardry Gaiden (still 6): The Five Ordeals, but although it also features English-language options they decided to implement a lot more puzzles into the dungeon crawling and since there aren't any guides available it would be quite hard or at least, difficult to enjoyably play through "The Five Ordeals" without knowing Japanese. This is in stark contrast to The Prisoner Of The Battles which I have finished without ever needing to look anything up even though I am not fluent in the language.

I highly recommend playing Gaiden 4 on the SNES, especially now that it was translated into English, and I also highly, highly recommend downloading and playing Gaiden 6: The Prisoner Of The Battles which features English-language monsters, items, and menus and is a pure Wizardry dungeon crawl.

I am currently doing my best to translate into English Wizardry Empire 1 for PC and I have everything in English except the NPC dialog and the dungeon Event Text; and those are required reading in order to play through the game effectively. Since I am not fluent in Japanese I am counting on the help of some of the same people who helped translate Gaiden 1-4 and Empire 2, and who are also currently working on Wizardry: Chronicle for Windows PC.

If you want to play what I have of Empire 1 in English the most current version is linked for download (the whole thing) in the Empire 1 thread right here in this forum. You can play through the 1st dungeon in English, but there are 3 dungeons in total and each dungeon features around 10 floors.

I have a menu translation done for Empire 3 on PSP but that one will never get the dialog/dungeon text translated because the files which contain the game script are compressed and I don't have the l33t hacker knowledge to decompress them. However if you wish to play Empire 3 for PSP with the items, monsters, spells and menus in English let me know and I can upload the most current version of my Empire 3 PSP English-ISO.

demilich

Novice
Thanks for the answer, aweigh!

Right now I'm finishing Empire 2, than definately will try Gaiden 4.

I've asked about connection between Gameboy Empires and PС series, 'cos I saw an intro of Japanese Empire 2 PS2 version on Youtube. There is stated in intro "10 years has passed since evil Emperor - Demon Adis was defeated". And here I was confused, 'cos demon Adis - Emperor of Naraka - is a final boss of first Gameboy Empire game. And as I recall, in PC Empire 1 an Emperor name is Alec Fal Mardal (we see his soul in Purgatory Garden, Arech/Alec). I think we'll need to wait for the plot translation of the Empire 1 to solve that bit of confusion)

demilich

Novice
Now I'm sure that PC Empire 2 is the sequel to Empire 1 GBA. The last dungeon architecture is the same and dead bodies of Queen of Hell of demon Adis out there. I wonder, maybe PC Empire 1 is a remake of GBA version...

Buy the way, could you share a strategies to defeating Gnilda? She seems to have a really HUGE amount of HP, or is the just regenerate them each turn?

Courtier

Prophet
I beat her in a couple of turns, just with Morrigan as summon and one or two high level fighters with force hammers...but that might be because I spent a bunch of hours killing will'o'wisps and running around the castle aimlessly, ended up with highest Lv around 30. THAC0 and AC buffs are great. By the way I'm still not sure how to open the locked door in the antimagic zone in the castle that I hear leads to an excellent wisp leveling spot, I'm partway through temple of gods and haven't found the key yet. I should finish mapping the castle.

demilich

Novice
Hmm, I beat her too. It looks like a but, the first time I tried her she has an infinite HPs, it seems. But on second time she died nicely in a few turns

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Courtier

You need the Ten-Spade Key (or something similar in name to that), and to be honest with you I only acquired it by checking up on the Wiki how to get it. I did not find that anti-magic spot that the key opens with the 4 Will/Rare-O-Wisps to be especially good for farming as by the time I accessed it I already had access to the game's post-game dungeon, The Temple of the Gods, and you get 10x the Experience points and 1000000x better end-game loot inside the Temple of the Gods than you ever will fighting Wisps.

It's also a pain in the ass to farm those 4 Rare-O-Wisps (the point of the whole exercise is to flee those Wisps until you get Rare ones) because you cannot use magic so it is tedious as you cannot magically escape the battle and instead have to use the manual FLEE command which sometimes fails.

And yes, Gnilda is a push-over but just like Courtier I was also over-levelled. The real bosses/challenges await you two inside the Temple.

demilich

It is quite possible that you are entirely correct, btw, concerning the relationship between the Game Boy Wizardry Empire titles and the Playstation/PSP/PC titles in the series.

There are tons and tons of call-backs and story "easter eggs" in all Wizardry Empire games and that is one of the main things I most enjoy about them. Starfish managed to make an interesting narrative that threads all of the Wizardry Empire games, all 5 of them, by utilizing the dragon god as an anchor for them all.

BTW, on the Nintendo DS you can find Starfish studios "re-imagining" of Wizardry 1: Proving Grounds Of The Mad Overlord in the form of their game "Wizardry Asterisk: The Crimson Prophecy". It is a "re-imagining" / remake of Wizardry 1 except 100% set inside a Feudal Japan Fantasy setting. For example Werdna's analog is a Nobunaga-type Feudal Warlord who attains mystical powers.

- Wizardry Asterisk for the Nintendo DS is japanese-language for the NPC dialog and in-dungeon event text, but the game offers menu options to change the language of all Monsters, all Spells, all Items to English; just like the same options in Wizardry Gaiden 5: Dimguil on PS1 and Wizardry Gaiden 6: The Prisoner Of The Battles on PS2 and Wizardry Gaiden 6: The Five Ordeals on Windows PC.

demilich

Novice
Finished the game.

Aweigh, maybe you can answer just 3 questions:
- What is the Eclipse mentioned all the time? At fist I've thought it may be some "Hell" mistranslation, but it seems some kind of event.
- Who is Martha mentioned several times by various NPC in the castle dungeons?
- What is the fate of Murphy Jr? Haven't seen him in the castle at all

hmm, it seems all Faustes (except maybe from the one in Temple of gods) we encounter in Empire 2 are clones. They don't share memories and in the lab there is a book written by Faust "Personality transplant".

Courtier

Prophet
As soon as the Castle is overrun and opens as a dungeon, until you beat it, the moon seems shadowed and is red. I might be off here but I think the eclipse refers to both that, and the event itself + where it originated (castle laboratory) that threatened to open a portal to hell in the castle. So you've got the ''Eclipse Key'' and ''Door to Eclipse'' which you could read as a key and door ''to the disaster area''.

Congratulations on beating the main game, now come join me in the temple of the gods (masochists only)

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
- I'm not really sure. AFAIK it is something that was prophesied and it is also a time-event which Faust wanted to take advantage of during Empire 1. I've never really put much thought into it as the Eclipse event is always mentioned simply as something that happens or will happen. It is most definitely Faust's fault in any case; although the only distinction I would make is that the Eclipse is something that he takes advantage of and not something that he necessarily triggers.

- I actually have no idea. I assume Martha is a new translation of an NPC name that was not present in the beta-translation I finished of Empire 2.

- No clue. The ending of Empire 2 does not specifically mention him (it's basically unintelligible...); but from the notes you find in the cavern dungeon (where L'kabreth awaits in the bottom lake) and the further notes you find inside Myrdaal (or Mirudaru) Castle it seems he went out with the Suicide Squad (or Kamikaze Corps, if you want) and that's that.

- There is absolutely a lot of "cloning" going on in Empire 2 but the only one I can specifically speculate about being subjected to Faust's treatments is Gnilda herself. Very good observation about each Faust being a clone, btw, as unlike Empire 1 in Empire 2 each Faust is "color-coded". I had actually never made that leap myself! It seems incredibly obvious now that you have mentioning it; the blatant "color-coding" plus the fact that each "Faust" has a different personality such as the 2nd Dungeon's Faust being scared of Ganossa. I mean, c'mon, Faust would never be scared of anyone.

Courtier

Prophet
In the temple, the ''real'' Faust also tells you himself the others are his clones...and if you cast charm, he says that ''most of the students have turned to the enemy, and he might have to use the duplicates to get through''. No idea who he's referring to or what he's trying to do now (related to entity at the bottom? Is he trying to undo his mistake?). You can read his dialogue from about 1:30 in my vid

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
That's good shit to know; i stopped bothering to charm NPCs after the 1st dungeon, hehe.

Courtier

Prophet
Sore ass diary:
[At time of writing still in upper floors B1-3 of temple, highest Lv ~40, character HPs range from ~400 to 800]

-The familiar vampire hunter in a summoning circle at the bottom of Myrdal Castle fucked me up, his AC seems low to the point where he's almost immune to weapons, hits and beheads my guys even after I got everybody's AC down to -99 with a wish, likes to sing and deal over 400 damage+petrify/paralyze the entire party

-Vampir (unid="hunter" better TL might be Dhampir, reference to vampire hunter D?) in the temple are a lesser version of above terror, one of them wiped my party on his own

-Naga just as strong and hard to hit, one can wipe party in two turns with poison breath (~300-400dmg). Elementals and Giants are similar but weaker, though breaths will whittle down party HP fast

-Beauty decapitated my kunoichi with an 1102 damage hit, I couldn't even damage her

-Demon Kings/Queens also monstrously strong and inflict statuses / hit whole party - high score 1320 damage to my Lord, starting to see a pattern here

-Dragons are way too scary, I run screaming like little girl when I encounter more than one or two. Even the lower tier copper dragons deal 600+ damage hits and can come in several groups of three, different types like grouping together with stronger ones hard to damage

-Centaurs are assholes that like to snipe backrow and kill your mages

-Wingmen (angels?) are pretty weak but like to summon bros every turn, come in large groups / good exp

Every successful trip after several total party kill/reloads warrants celebration with confetti, progress in postgame is slow at first but levels come faster and faster (thank you Starfish). Once in a while a ridiculously strong item drops which increases survival chances

Equipment like the Dragon Slayer sword and rare armour with slaying bonuses/status defense makes the abominations more managable, when you first arrive it's a life-or-death scavenger hunt much in the sense a Wiz starting dungeon with a level 1 party is one. To be able to even hit some enemies you need to both optimize your selection of weapons and armour to have a good to-hit, and also have enough levels under your belt to have as low THAC0 as possible. Spellcasting every turn is vital for defense, though for some reason I have yet to land a single status effect spell on enemies (???). Expect to spend a lot of time running for life

Courtier

Prophet
JTRnNtj.png

SHEEEEEIIIIT

NOTE: Everything mentioned above is babby mode, it only gets worse from here

ENTERING BIG BOY ZONE
NZTh9l2.jpg

ykCql2v.jpg

SP7ZC6Z.jpg

qElHVUR.jpg

zdFb3KJ.jpg

RQschvZ.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom