Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

WoD meets EVE

Father Walker

Potato Ranger
Gameplay seems great. Tech demo looks great. It's the first MMO which actually looks interesting.

When this comes out, I'll terrorize the streets with my potato bros.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Oh god... brazilians in WoD.

HUEHUEHUEUGHHUEUI sabbat pack

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Gonna play Malkavian, but I doubt this MMO will go well. Vampire and other drama/horror PnP games are hard to make to multiplayer games without a Game Master (Narrator), especially World of Darkness or Call of Cthulhu. It just doesn't work.

Hegel

Arcane
As far as I know, it's ultimately a big problem with EVE too, with the game feeling very unrewarding to anyone who hasn't been there from the start after a certain early point.
Mechanic which has been already addressed by the oWOD ruleset. Remember diablerie?
I'd play a Salubri.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Keep in my that on launch only the seven Camarilla clans will be playable.

Gonna play Malkavian, but I doubt this MMO will go well. Vampire and other drama/horror PnP games are hard to make to multiplayer games without a Game Master (Narrator), especially World of Darkness or Call of Cthulhu. It just doesn't work.
I wouldn't put VtM and CoC in the same category, they're completely different games. Horror is a recurring theme in any line of the WoD but the main focus in VtM is politics and other sorts of conflict within the vampire society. Which is what they are trying to capitalize in this MMO, in a structure that is similar to the VtM larp.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Keep in my that on launch only the seven Camarilla clans will be playable.

I wouldn't put VtM and CoC in the same category, they're completely different games. Horror is a recurring theme in any line of the WoD but the main focus in VtM is politics and other sorts of conflict within the vampire society.

Oh, no, no, no. I didn't mean it like that. It's just these games don't work as a MMO without a Storyteller. You want to see a vampire running throu town and killing mortal dudes (leaving vampire marks - Gangrels Protean Claws)? These things should be left to a Storyteller "You remember that murder you did? It's all over the news!"

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
CoC would be mega-inane as an MMO. In fact, CoC is inane if the game features any kind of guns or whatnot. Regular access to guns are bad for Lovecraftian horror, the quality of Dark Corners always dropped the moment you could defend yourself. Lovecraftian Horror is about being a helpless and sensitive author self-insert from Providence with a deathly fear of niggers.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Oh, no, no, no. I didn't mean it like that. It's just these games don't work as a MMO without a Storyteller. You want to see a vampire running throu town and killing mortal dudes (leaving vampire marks - Gangrels Protean Claws)? These things should be left to a Storyteller "You remember that murder you did? It's all over the news!"
Yeah, that was the first thing that came to my mind when I heard of this project. I assume they'll have some severe penalities for breaking the masquerade so people don't go around doing shit for the lulz, otherwise it's going to be pretty dumb.

CoC would be mega-inane as an MMO. In fact, CoC is inane if the game features any kind of guns or whatnot. Regular access to guns are bad for Lovecraftian horror, the quality of Dark Corners always dropped the moment you could defend yourself. Lovecraftian Horror is about being a helpless and sensitive author self-insert from Providence with a deathly fear of niggers.
Exaggerting, aren't we? Having guns in the game doesn't mean investigators are suddenly rambo. The usual CoC character background is inept with firearms, if anything all guns do is offer a false sense of security the keeper can exploit.

Vaarna_Aarne

Well Secret World is going to feature some moderate amount of (popamole) Lovecraftian themes.
Lovecraftian MONSTERS, not themes. The way I understood it's closer to the Invisibles in that regard.

Exaggerting, aren't we? Having guns in the game doesn't mean investigators are suddenly rambo. The usual CoC character background is inept with firearms, if anything all guns do is offer a false sense of security the keeper can exploit.
Obviously, I am exaggerating for comedic effect. I love Lovecraft, but there's certain things most people don't seem to grasp about the inner workings of his stories and mythos. Basically, people often ignore what I call the "Conan Effect." The key elements of a Lovecraft protagonist is that he's often intelligent and sensitive, maybe with history of slight mental illness, usually a scholarly type in general. The horror comes from the fact that he is ill-equipped to deal with the things he'll see and find out, as he does not possess an iron will or means to fight it, but he does possess the intelligence to have a basic UNDERSTANDING of what he sees, which is what drives his weak and strained mind to a breaking point. Mythos horrors don't spontaneously erode sanity, the protagonist plays an important part in the collapse of his mind as well.

Now, throw similar creatures in front of Conan, and you get eldritch sushi and Conan being grumpy that he lost more hit points than usual. And that's because 1) Conan has too much willpower to be scared, 2) which is further aided by the fact that he's just gonna kick its ass, 3) Conan does not start worrying and freaking out over the stuff because he is pragmatic and worldly, so his mind doesn't get too strained about the whole thing. At worst, if he's outnumbered and cannot win, Conan will just outsmart or outmaneuver the creatures he's found (usually losing his loot while saving his new beeatch). Basically, this is what happens in stories like The Slithering Shadow.

Anyway, point is that trying to make a truly Lovecraftian MMO would be super-inane.

Esquilax

Arcane
fine we'll all be nosferatu and wear toreador dresses in the sewers

You fools, the most Codexian Clan from WoD is clearly the Brujah clan. Think about it for a second: once long ago, they were a forum clan of prestigious, :obviously: scholars with a desire to finally see good RPG's being made again create a better world, but also cursed with a propensity for rage. Over the years, the :decline: hit them so hard that now they no longer have any righteous indignation, no scholarly pursuit, no sense of purpose behind their rage. It has become a hollow thing - merely rage for the sake of rage. They have become a hivemind clan divided, and now the newfag Rabble tends to be the forumite Kindred most often seen in recent nights. Their rich lineage is all but forgotten as many neonates seem to be more acquainted with playing KotOR 7 times thuggishness than they are with Arcanum scholarly works.

A Brujah Elder would be somebody like Saint Proverbius or Spazmo, but they have been in torpor for centuries. An example of an active Brujah with a scholarly bent would be someone like DraQ, whose righteous fury against Elder Scrolls lore rape has become legendary among the clan. In comparison, somebody like skyway is the quintessential modern Brujah neonate.

It's commonly thought that hiver's fury upon seeing young women being harassed and his defense of them is indication of his Brujah blood, but that's a misconception. His troubled and incoherent rantings clearly mark him as Malkavian.

lightbane

Arcane
Lovecraft stuff

You forgot to mention that in many Lovecraft stories, the main characters reach a point in which they simply say "Fuck this" and fight back against whatever abomination is threatening them. Despite the fear, the helpnessles and such, they still want to live so they don't bend over and die, they attack the eldritch horror. What's more, in some stories, they even win (even though the price to pay is usually enormous or they're scared for the rest of their lives)!! Then we have Randolph Carter, who's pretty much a literal Conan in Lovecraftian works.

Talking about WoD, I wonder how would a MMORPG version of Mage work.

Vaarna_Aarne

Lovecraft stuff

You forgot to mention that in many Lovecraft stories, the main characters reach a point in which they simply say "Fuck this" and fight back against whatever abomination is threatening them. Despite the fear, the helpnessles and such, they still want to live so they don't bend over and die, they attack the eldritch horror. What's more, in some stories, they even win (even though the price to pay is usually enormous or they're scared for the rest of their lives)!! Then we have Randolph Carter, who's pretty much a literal Conan in Lovecraftian works.

Talking about WoD, I wonder how would a MMORPG version of Mage work.
Randolph Carter, man of action!

But yes, you are correct. It's actually not that rare that the confronted creature is defeated or driven back. Charles Dexter Ward for example comes to mind. It's not actually that often that the thing is really a threat to anything around it, usually it's just some local scary thing or cult, or it just drops by for a visit like in the case of the Colour Out Of Space entity (my personal favourite HPL story btw). Generally people overestimate how the creatures were in terms of the grand scheme of things, and that to "stay relevant" subsequent authors have regularly beefed up the Mythos powerwise every twenty years or so (and even with that Cthulhu still lays low because it knows Aquaman would just kick its ass), since science marches on and fishmen that could be beaten by primitive submarines aren't particularly threatening in a post-nuclear environment.

Father Walker

Potato Ranger
I wonder how will they balance social and combat mechanics. I really want to play Ventrue businessman of Jewish origin. Hopefully social/political characters will be viable enough and able to hire lots of bodyguards/ghouls/attack choppers.

MCA
If PvP is in, the game begs for a Ku Kodeks Klan. Provoke players into attacking and lead them to back alleys where a rapethirsty hungry pack of Codexers will be waiting.

Alex_Steel

Arcane
Patron
You fools, the most Codexian Clan from WoD is clearly the Brujah clan. Think about it for a second: once long ago, they were a forum clan of prestigious, :obviously: scholars with a desire to finally see good RPG's being made again create a better world, but also cursed with a propensity for rage. Over the years, the :decline: hit them so hard that now they no longer have any righteous indignation, no scholarly pursuit, no sense of purpose behind their rage. It has become a hollow thing - merely rage for the sake of rage. They have become a hivemind clan divided, and now the newfag Rabble tends to be the forumite Kindred most often seen in recent nights. Their rich lineage is all but forgotten as many neonates seem to be more acquainted with playing KotOR 7 times thuggishness than they are with Arcanum scholarly works.

A Brujah Elder would be somebody like Saint Proverbius or Spazmo, but they have been in torpor for centuries. An example of an active Brujah with a scholarly bent would be someone like DraQ, whose righteous fury against Elder Scrolls lore rape has become legendary among the clan. In comparison, somebody like skyway is the quintessential modern Brujah neonate.

It's commonly thought that hiver's fury upon seeing young women being harassed and his defense of them is indication of his Brujah blood, but that's a misconception. His troubled and incoherent rantings clearly mark him as Malkavian.
So, if Saint Proverbius is Brujah, who is Troile? *dum dum duuuum*

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
Guys, it is impossible for the final death to be in this game. This is merely hype (remember Horizons, and how they promised the same, and how you could have PC demons being able to be summoned by PC mages...yeah) it will all be changed once the game is released. It will be your standard cookie cutter MMO with WoD trappings.

It's not that the devs don't want things like final death, but that they also want to be able to make a living. Do you honestly believe ppl will pay and play this game if things like final death are in it?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom