Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

WoD meets EVE

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
You realize the main target audience for this will end up being 15-16-year-olds who like goth metal and would like to be very mysterious, right?

You could say the same about Bloodlines and that is a great game.

I know quite a few VtM larpers of the 15-16-year-old goth variety, sadly.

I know none that have actually completed VTM:B, nor even heard about it except from me.

VtM:B is way to non-gloomy and fresh for that target audience.
Where the fuck do you live that 16 year olds larp?

It's called Denmark. Or Sweden. Or the US. Or anywhere where LARP is done. It's true that kid's LARPing is mostly in Scandinavia, but 15-16+ is the usual starting age for LARPers. Exceptions are places like Israel where people don't start LARPing until adulthood.
I'm just saying nowadays it's mostly the 30 somethings like me, last I saw a 16 year old at the local larp, he quit after 2 months.

Most 16 year olds either have school, or else aren't interested enough to socialize beyond the World of Warcraft.

That depends entirely on a) your region and b) the kind of larp you do.

In finland, a woman from 16 to 27 is your average larper. In Denmark, it's a male of 11-13. If we switch genres we get entirely different "average" larpers.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Finland.jpg

:salute:

Curious about this, it has the potential to be an MMO in which actual, not stiff and awkward roleplaying takes place. Which of course, raises the question of what to do when an oil spill at the fetish wear shop, made godlike via mom`s credit card, approaches and demands a lowly one like you kneel in his presence.

Do you take the blood points and humiliating death? Or do as he says, undergoing further humiliation to preserve your precious blood points?

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I'm p. sure it won't work like that. Nobody would play a game with perma-death that you can just pay to get stronger.

oscar

Arcane
Wonder how they'd balance the more 'social' clans like Ventrue and Toreador. How could disciplines like Dominate and Presence work?

grdja

Augur
Wonder how they'd balance the more 'social' clans like Ventrue and Toreador. How could disciplines like Dominate and Presence work?

Dude! Presence, Dominate!

I have no idea how to make them work in MMO, but with semi decent GM/storyteller, you start worrying about party members with those more than about any NPC.

goo golem

Educated
Seeing how it's an MMO the more social clans will probably just get potential bonuses when it comes to dealing with various NPC factions. -/+ Rep, all that jazz. Although it would be cool if something along the lines of the contract system in EVE was turned into an exclusive Ventrue mechanic. It'll be interesting to see how this game turns out, but I doubt the things that make EVE "great" are enough to make this game interesting, assuming that they even translate.

Alex_Steel

Arcane
Patron
I guess they will have some bonuses to things like resources, allies or whatever the game implements. As for the disciplines, I think they will go for something not as open-ended as 'Dominate' is.

I still remember a campaign I joined some years ago, where every Gangrel had minimum 8 willpower and half of them had iron will. What a bunch of idiots.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
I still remember a campaign I joined some years ago, where every Gangrel had minimum 8 willpower and half of them had iron will. What a bunch of idiots.

That's a normal practice, that I also see in my players. High willpower, no matter the cost! Most of the time they make it... to be prepared against other players. They don't want their actions to be controlled by others.

Alex_Steel

Arcane
Patron
That's a normal practice, that I also see in my players. High willpower, no matter the cost! Most of the time they make it... to be prepared against other players. They don't want their actions to be controlled by others.
The problem is that if you plan to go against the "social" Clans, direct applications of Dominate and Presence are the least of your problems.

Emily

Arcane
They dont really need to add anything special to "social" clans. Maybe add pet or something mmoish.
The main draw in the game is your social skills as a human, not as an player character.
Depends also on how exactly will the political system works. Will there be legates,judges,office income,owning assets etc.

I guess they will have some bonuses to things like resources, allies or whatever the game implements. As for the disciplines, I think they will go for something not as open-ended as 'Dominate' is.

The potential applications of Dominate draw to mind days past in WoW, where Shadow Priests would mind control other players into jumping into lava or somesuch.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
MMO applications of Dominate and Presence? Single Target Crowd Control and typical Crowd Control.

The problem is that if you plan to go against the "social" Clans, direct applications of Dominate and Presence are the least of your problems.

Yup. I remember the players hesitations with getting favors from me. "I don't want to owe you anything"... well, they're screwed anyway, because I "made them" to drink my Ventrue's blood as "tightening our bonds for survival".
Having immunity to blood bonding is cool.

Alex

Arcane
http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/04/27/e...et-footage-shows-hunting-parties-and-parkour/

Players in World of Darkness start out mortal, but will be quickly tuned. Or so CCP expect. There will be players who try to last as long as they can in human form. Initially, it won’t be a fully fleshed out way to exist. “We’re not putting a huge amount of functionality into the mortal game,” McDonough says. The other races that fill the World of Darkness universe like werewolves and mages won’t be in at launch either, but CCP “consider this to be future expansions.”

Now that would be something worth seeing. Taking a game with permanent death, where subtlety and politics are usually far more important than brute strength and where players assemble themselves into fiefs and domains, letting it run for two or three years, and then releasing anything similar to P&P mages upon it.

Alex_Steel

Arcane
Patron
Yup. I remember the players hesitations with getting favors from me. "I don't want to owe you anything"... well, they're screwed anyway, because I "made them" to drink my Ventrue's blood as "tightening our bonds for survival".
Having immunity to blood bonding is cool.
Heh, well played bro. And of course, let's not forget how much damage money and influence can do. They may not be able to influence you so easily, but they will surely do it to your ghouls, your allies, your herd, your bank account, etc.

Now that would be something worth seeing. Taking a game with permanent death, where subtlety and politics are usually far more important than brute strength and where players assemble themselves into fiefs and domains, letting it run for two or three years, and then releasing anything similar to P&P mages upon it.
I seriously doubt they can pull off something that complicated and free-form. But if they manage to get close... :bounce:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Is there an official site for this? This is actually the only MMO I am mildly interested in....

Maiandros

Learned
Possibly Retarded
Jaesun

http://www.ccpgames.com/en/products/world-of-darkness

closest you can get excluding fansites..it is still many years off, they are currently still in pre-pre-production, plus they have yet to even settle on whether they can 'afford' an expanding in staff so as to have have it running simultaneously with EvE+Dust, or after a lapse of some time ( i.e. when EvE starts hitting bottom); No way near 'soon TM' either way am afraid

Alex

Arcane
Jaesun

http://www.ccpgames.com/en/products/world-of-darkness

closest you can get excluding fansites..it is still many years off, they are currently still in pre-pre-production, plus they have yet to even settle on whether they can 'afford' an expanding in staff so as to have have it running simultaneously with EvE+Dust, or after a lapse of some time ( i.e. when EvE starts hitting bottom); No way near 'soon TM' either way am afraid

I dunno. From what I get, they have been developing it for a long while now, even before the merge in 2006. They need to release something sooner or later, or this thing will get canned for good.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Damn so it's still in kind of DEVELOPMENT HELL. :( Well I hope it continues on.

I don't think it's really in development hell as much as CCP simply spoke about it too soon considering it's not coming out for years yet. Then again, they haven't shown anything tangible, aside from that trailer, that would kick off any level of hype so it evens out I guess.

Maiandros

Learned
Possibly Retarded
Alex have a look at the few articles denoting specifics about its development cycle, you will get the picture yourself.

btw, anyone here that knows if something browser-based (as WoD will be such) can be made to run on consoles? Am not hinting into anything, it's an honest question..was about to say to Excidium that they wouldn't rush this out if they knew what's good for them, but then i remembered Dust..

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom